Different mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
This is a different mineral than the last I bought. It may be an overkill for my cows as they are on hay and not winter graze. It is a local mineral from a mill about 40 miles from me. I put out a large coffee can fill this evening and they were lining up for it. I may just put it out every other day.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0032.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0033.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 24
Looks good to me . How expensive is it ?
About $18.50 per 50 lb bag. I have look every where for a good mineral and this one was a little different from the last one. I put out 5 lb coffee can full daily and sometimes skip a day. They will have most of it cleaned up daily. That's for 12 grown cows and 3 caves. It equate to about 5 oz per head but I know some will eat more than others. I think the label says 4 oz per head daily. I think I'll try this one thru the winter and it it shows up in the cattle, I'll stick with it for a while. They will probably eat about 3 bags a month, about $55.50 monthly. I like the wind and rain but don't like the $55 a 50 pound bag. When I was using it I really didn't see much change in the cows. May not kept them on it long enough. plus Tractor Supply don't always have it in stock.

I keep Vitaferm Concept aide 5s out, free choice and my cows don't eat it. I've tried Wind and Rain and cheap stuff and they could care less. I also keep a TSC mineral block out and loose salt. Guess my cattle get enough minerals from the forage here because they don't care about free choice minerals.

About $18.50 per 50 lb bag. I have look every where for a good mineral and this one was a little different from the last one. I put out 5 lb coffee can full daily and sometimes skip a day. They will have most of it cleaned up daily. That's for 12 grown cows and 3 caves. It equate to about 5 oz per head but I know some will eat more than others. I think the label says 4 oz per head daily. I think I'll try this one thru the winter and it it shows up in the cattle, I'll stick with it for a while. They will probably eat about 3 bags a month, about $55.50 monthly. I like the wind and rain but don't like the $55 a 50 pound bag. When I was using it I really didn't see much change in the cows. May not kept them on it long enough. plus Tractor Supply don't always have it in stock.
If you haven't had minerals out before they will likely slow down on their consumption after a while. Mine eat more when they are on hay than when they are grazing spring grass. Just my 2 cents.

I keep Vitaferm Concept aide 5s out, free choice and my cows don't eat it. I've tried Wind and Rain and cheap stuff and they could care less. I also keep a TSC mineral block out and loose salt. Guess my cattle get enough minerals from the forage here because they don't care about free choice minerals.
Cattle don't "like" the mineral. They "LIKE" the salt. So, if you are providing a salt mineral block and loose salt - they are not going to eat the mineral THEY NEED. Cattle are like us - we eat what we like - not necessarily because it's GOOD for us.
This is a cheap mineral made with cheap ingredients. Just because it lists all the ingredients they need - if the ingredients come from the wrong source - the cattle cannot utilize them. I cannot get into detail of each ingredient - I am not knowledgeable enough but there are others on here that do know. Chelated, Oxides, Sulfate - some good - some bad.
Vitaferm ConceptAid is about the best mineral out there. Costly - yes. But quality ingredients.

Latest posts