rfd - the cattle show

Help Support CattleToday:

Unfortunately after Dish Network started charging for RFD "Rural FREE Delivery" I haven't had the pleasure of having that channel any longer.

What was the episode about?

it was a documentary on braunvieh at the green springs bull test station. they discussed the grow safe residual feed intake testing being performed there on 50 braunvieh bulls currently under test. also had information concerning braunvieh/angus feeder calves sold via superior video auction.

ROB

I watched it Rob.

Looks like the Braunvieh association is doing some pretty good marketing (i.e. RFD shows) and innovative programs (national bull test and feed efficiency evaluations). I look for the popularity of this breed to increase with serious commercial cattlemen in the next ten years.

Yes I saw it,thought it was pretty interesting the technology that they use to measure the adg,(how much they eat,how fast,and also weigh them at the water trough) they are getting alot of info.They had some real nice looking bulls on there.

The first Grow Safe system in the U.S. was installed at a bull test close to College Station, TX. It is a pretty amazing system. We took bulls there a couple times but the management really left a lot to be desired. Everything from losing registration papers and entry forms and checks to letting our neighbors bull die from respiratory disease due to the lack of checking the animals daily.

i too have the cheap dish package, but to get rfd it is 1.99 a month, I think it is worth it.

Just wish they had more cattle shows than all that horse stuff.

Angus In Texas":3nlymcgi said:
The first Grow Safe system in the U.S. was installed at a bull test close to College Station, TX. It is a pretty amazing system. We took bulls there a couple times but the management really left a lot to be desired. Everything from losing registration papers and entry forms and checks to letting our neighbors bull die from respiratory disease due to the lack of checking the animals daily.

i am only famaliar with the green springs test station in nevada, mo. from what i have been told they do a really good job and run quite a few bulls through each year.

i like the fact that the association is using an independent testing facility (in lieu of testing at one of the breeders feedlot) the information gathered shouldn't be slanted to an individual breeder or to the breed for that matter.

from what i gather the top cut of bulls tested is to be sold in a production sale, the remainder of bulls will be shipped to a kill plant. does anyone know if the cut-out data of bulls slaughtered will be available to review?

ROB

UG - As much promotion as braunvieh could do and as good as they are the breed's color will hold it back the same as tarentaise. The off color calves will get docked at the market as dairy crosses. The confusion ;-) and color will let buyers get good feeding cattle at a major discount much as tarentaise crosses do for being confused ;-) as jersey crosses. And as far as breeding to blacks and covering the color it will take a few generations to hide it. Personally i have worked with the breed up here in bull tests stations and as steer trials and well in the commercial settings. They work but shaking the color stigma will be tough. So i just ccan't see the breed being the next big thing.

UG":2gso644a said:
I look for the popularity of this breed to increase with serious commercial cattlemen in the next ten years.

That's what I heard 10 years ago when we first looked into them.

skcatlman,

I agree that the traditional Braunvieh color penalizes these cattle at the sale barn. However, several Braunvieh breeders have been breeding up from Angus and there are now several good black, polled Braunvieh bulls being offered. Other than color and the fact that a high majority of Braunvieh cattle are horned, the other area that I feel the Braunvieh breed needs to improve is reducing their birth weights.

In the short term I think the Braunvieh breed is going to have to produce more quality polled, black bulls to gain market share. Long term I envision that hide color will have less effect on feeder and finished cattle prices...am I dreaming??? ;-)

Dun, you are right about ten years ago; but then again most breeds were saying it in the past 10 to 20 years. However, Braunvieh is one of only a couple so-called minor breed that I really envision making major strides in market share in the next decade.

Yes, RFD did a overhaul and now we must pay extra for the channel, I personally think it is a very bad change and if i did not enjoy The Cattle Show and a few other cattle programs i would drop completly.
But, if they add one more horse program i`m OUT.

blk mule

Latest posts