Resizing a photo for avatar use?

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Can anyone give me clear instruction as to the procedure for posting an avatar image?

I found the avatar control board, located under "profile". However am having trouble getting my picture to the required size. If I use my photo editer, and go "smallest", and "lowest quality", I'm still about 84kb. How in the world would I get a picture to 6 kb, and still have it be good enough to see ?

Not that i have tried to get a picture converted into an avatar image - but last week I had to down size a picture for my wife's business & it had to be less that 300 X 300 pixels. When I finished (it was large originally - 1600 X 1000 & 184KB) it was only 17KB with excellent quality (jpeg file). Used Paint Shop Pro software. Jpeg files are smaller than say a bitmap file, I do know that. I am no expert, just a plunker but I did want to let you know someone with as little knowledge as myself first cropped the image, then downsized it to fit her requirements (less than 300 X 300 pixels).
Good luck - I'm sure there will be others with much better advice.

I just resized that 300 X 300 down to the 80 X 80 required for the avitar & the file size dropped down to 3K, well below the 8K max (as i remember the max file size allowed). Think your issue may be the software u are using to modify your image. As I said I am using paint shop pro - I'm sure there are many others that will do the job as well.

Hey Thanks Farminlund;

As you can see,.....I was able to figure out with your help! Didnt have microsoft paint pro, just the plain jane paint, and it wouldnt let me resize any pictures. I was able to find a program that worked, PhotoImpression. 80x80 sure is small, and It doesnt look like the image quite fills the allowed space. However I had trouble meeting the file size requirement. This image is 80x60 , and it still just barely squeaked under 6kb's.

Thanks again for the help. My favorite cow had her calf this morning, and I just had to take a picture for my avatar. :cboy:

cornstalk":1b8unvrr said:
Hey Thanks Farminlund;

As you can see,.....I was able to figure out with your help! Didnt have microsoft paint pro, just the plain jane paint, and it wouldnt let me resize any pictures. I was able to find a program that worked, PhotoImpression. 80x80 sure is small, and It doesnt look like the image quite fills the allowed space. However I had trouble meeting the file size requirement. This image is 80x60 , and it still just barely squeaked under 6kb's.

Thanks again for the help. My favorite cow had her calf this morning, and I just had to take a picture for my avatar. :cboy:

You need to figure out how to crop off the white that's also considred part of the picture. If you can get rid of the white then resize it will look much better. Not sure what the capabiities are with some of these programs.

dun

Thanks Dun,..... after some tweaking, I think I've got it. Kind of fun actually. The only white left now, is the skyline on the horizon.

Thanks again.

Latest posts