Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23 said:
Bcompton53 said:
Brute 23 said:
The 6.5C has less recoil the the 270 by far. I despise the 270 because of the recoil. If I was in the market for a 270 type gun I would go 280 with out a doubt. Less recoil and better ballistics. 264 Mag is the same way but the ammo is not quite as common.

Only good thing about the 6.5C is people are jumping ship on them for hunting rounds so there are some cheap one popping up on forums already.

Two guys showed up withs 6.5s this year in WTX. Both lost deer and put them back in the truck for their 308s.

I go back and forth between my 243 and 308. I generally take both when I go any where. In deep STX or WTX where the deer get pretty large I favor the 308 but have not had an issue with either. I have the suppressor on the 243 which is a lot of fun and hard to beat.

I have the same tripod. We use it for sighting in or hunting out of pop up blinds.

If you're saying the 6.5cm isn't adequate for those little Texas deer, I think you're crazy. I've shot hogs, Kansas whitetails, and elk with the 6.5 and it's killed every one.theres never a perfect caliber or the best caliber. There's only compromises between energy, b.c., sectional density, velocity And recoil. Kill a deer with a shoulder mounted howitzer if you want.

I'm not saying that. It's just not the miracle caliber ther enet suggests. It's a fad like the 300 black out. Soon they will move on to the next re-marketed caliber.

Fortunately I think the 6.5 is here to stay. Way too many companies invested deeply at this point. I agree on the 300blackout....I hear guys say, well it's perfect for subsonic rounds, which I guess is a thing. Don't want zombies to hear you shoot, ya know

Not gonna get in on the caliber debate. Although I agree with most comments posted.

On manufacturer... I like Tikka rifles. Also like TC and Ruger. But I like Guns in general.

On optics... Anything that costs near the $1k you have is gonna be good. Leupold is tried and true. But the Nikons, Vortex's, Swarovski's are good too. And I have a Trijicon that I'm very fond of. I will say that Trijicon is the best low light scope I've ever personally used.

I agree with Brute on it's the gun show flavor. The 6.5 isn't getting traction here. I am watching the 350 Legend to see if it becomes flavor of the month.

Brute 23 said:
Bcompton53 said:
Brute 23 said:
The 6.5C has less recoil the the 270 by far. I despise the 270 because of the recoil. If I was in the market for a 270 type gun I would go 280 with out a doubt. Less recoil and better ballistics. 264 Mag is the same way but the ammo is not quite as common.

Only good thing about the 6.5C is people are jumping ship on them for hunting rounds so there are some cheap one popping up on forums already.

Two guys showed up withs 6.5s this year in WTX. Both lost deer and put them back in the truck for their 308s.

I go back and forth between my 243 and 308. I generally take both when I go any where. In deep STX or WTX where the deer get pretty large I favor the 308 but have not had an issue with either. I have the suppressor on the 243 which is a lot of fun and hard to beat.

I have the same tripod. We use it for sighting in or hunting out of pop up blinds.

If you're saying the 6.5cm isn't adequate for those little Texas deer, I think you're crazy. I've shot hogs, Kansas whitetails, and elk with the 6.5 and it's killed every one.theres never a perfect caliber or the best caliber. There's only compromises between energy, b.c., sectional density, velocity And recoil. Kill a deer with a shoulder mounted howitzer if you want.

I'm not saying that. It's just not the miracle caliber ther enet suggests. It's a fad like the 300 black out. Soon they will move on to the next re-marketed caliber.

It's an interesting thing to observe. I will add this, while talking to my local gun guy(services all the local LE, etc. A legit gun shop and a guy in the know) he said the 6.5 CM future is a question mark. He said the military branches are very seriously considering transitioning to it but haven't made that decision yet. He claims if that happens, 6.5 CM will be around to stay; cheap and very available. Will be interesting to see what happens.

bball said:
Nesikep said:
I like the 308, I hate the gun though (jamming sumbitsh with sloppy action). drops a bear dead in its tracks every time

I bought myself a little toy for christmas too.. 22 and 22wmr

Which gun Nesikep?

North american arms mini master... Makes a bang like an AR15 when you run the 22WMR's
https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-mmtc/

Nesikep said:
bball said:
Nesikep said:
I like the 308, I hate the gun though (jamming sumbitsh with sloppy action). drops a bear dead in its tracks every time

I bought myself a little toy for christmas too.. 22 and 22wmr

Which gun Nesikep?

North american arms mini master... Makes a bang like an AR15 when you run the 22WMR's
https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-mmtc/

Which gun do you hate in 308?

ga.prime said:
Hey bball, you might want to check out this Deathgrip tripod before you use up all your discretionary funds. I got this one for myself for Christmas. A little over $200. Weighs about 7 lbs I think. Mine's graphite composite or some such space age material. They also make aluminum for cheaper. Sighting in my Savage .17HMR with it here.

DSC02500.jpg

Got mine today and I am more then pleased and impressed. Very solid and well built.

bball said:
ga.prime said:
Hey bball, you might want to check out this Deathgrip tripod before you use up all your discretionary funds. I got this one for myself for Christmas. A little over $200. Weighs about 7 lbs I think. Mine's graphite composite or some such space age material. They also make aluminum for cheaper. Sighting in my Savage .17HMR with it here.

DSC02500.jpg

Got mine today and I am more then pleased and impressed. Very solid and well built.

Does it work with bigger caliber rifles?

It will work with any gun, CB. Your shoulder and arms and hands absorb the recoil, same as in normal shooting. The vise is rubber and felt lined so as not to scratch or otherwise damage the gun stock in case of slippage, but there shouldn't be any slippage.

I shot a deer in WTX and my son shot one here with that same tripod this year. We use it when we hunt out of the pop up blinds. I used my 308 and he used the 243. It's really nice because you can use it to hold your gun up in place also so you dont have to lean it up in a corner.

Only thing is you have to adjust the legs to get the right height. They have another one that the height adjusts but it's a little more. It's a great bang for the buck product. I have used tripods that I liked more but they were $350-450. Mine was like $125 on amazon.

Brute, you must have the aluminum one. Mine is carbon fiber and has telescoping legs that will adjust to anywhere between 7" and 59" and costs $199 + tax on Amazon.

ga.prime said:
Brute, you must have the aluminum one. Mine is carbon fiber and has telescoping legs that will adjust to anywhere between 7" and 59" and costs $199 + tax on Amazon.

Yes that is correct. With these you have to use the legs the set your height. The one I am talking about has another stem piece under where your gun mounts. You can rough in the height with the legs but then you have another 6-10" to dial it in with that stem. Just like camera trypod.

These are great for setting up stationary like in the pop ups tents. You set your height, lock your gun in, and get it all ready before hand then you wait.

The high end ones are super light and designed for stalking. They have a ball joint and have tons of adjustment up and down, side to side, etc all with a quick turn from one hand. A friend of myne has two and we use them with the thermals for hog hunting where we are walking and moving.

https://www.gricegunshop.com/rgu84204-rem-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd-6-5creedmoor-22.html

This would be an awesome gun. I have the same gun in .308 and it is probably my favorite gun because of the size and feel. For a hunting rifle it is hard to beat IMO. It would be a lot of fun in 6.5CM with a suppressor.

Latest posts