Its the most wondeful time...

Help Support CattleToday:

I hunted down south once in my life,Zapata county, a friend took me and my grandson, we saw lots of deer but no shooters, my friend died week before last from a massive heart attack, we are the same age.
My grandson did get to shoot at some javelina.

I hunted down south once in my life,Zapata county, a friend took me and my grandson, we saw lots of deer but no shooters, my friend died week before last from a massive heart attack, we are the same age.
My grandson did get to shoot at some javelina.
Sorry to hear that. There is usually no shortage of javas, for sure. Zapata is a very diverse county.

My son and I went back for one more run last week. Didn't rattle in a shooter but we at least found sign that they do exist. LoL we had a good time though and got some good videos and pics. We had two buck walk with in 10 yards until they hit our scent lines. I got a good video on one hitting it and a partial of another.

20240104_104632.jpgVideoCapture_20240104-102415.jpgVideoCapture_20240104-092313.jpg

Last edited:
My son and I were laughing because we stand in those short bushes or sit in a mesquite tree and call those bucks right in. We wear some kind of mask and cheap gloves, a cheap camp jacket or dark green hoodie or some thing, our blue jeans, and our snake boots.... nothing fancy. We try to be very still and play the land to our advantage with wind and what not.

Nice bucks, cool videos but you lost me with the flat land and snake boots in January. Not scared of the snakes but anywhere it stays that warm isn't for me.

Nice bucks, cool videos but you lost me with the flat land and snake boots in January. Not scared of the snakes but anywhere it stays that warm isn't for me.
It was un the upper 60s, sunny, with a light breeze today. That's about as good as it gets for us.

The snake boots are really to keep the brush and cactus off and stickers off. I wouldn't bank on them saving you from an actual snake.

When I go any where open or with any kind of hills I'm in awe. I can sit there for hours and stare in to the distance.

I never got into rattling, looks like a lot of fun.
It's down right addicting. My poor photo skills with my cell phone don't do it justice. I get about half of what we see. Some times they come in at a dead run with their tongues hanging out and some time they ease by like those in the video.

For guys that call in Elk and stuff like that it's probably familiar. Closest thing we have is calling in turkeys. 😄

The bottom video is my favorite because you can hear us talking. If you hear my son say... there is a 3rd buck close... thats when we actually saw him. We were so focused on the back two we didn't see the one right there.😄 It wasn't until we looked at the video after that we realized how long he was standing there before we saw him.

That's fun to have that on video to go with the story.

Latest posts