Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
So, the holidays are over and I still have a little bit of cash that the boss doesn't know about :secret: :D.
I have been wanting to pick up something in 6.5 Creedmoor for a bit now and I think I have it narrowed down to a couple choices: (no particular order)

1. Tikka T3X CTR Bolt action 24" SS barrel. Poly stock. $1100
- originally, I was going to stay with semi auto, AR platform, but the online
reviews for this gun are so overwhelmingly impressive, I am considering it
as a real option and just maintaining my Sig 5.56 in AR.

2. Smith & Wesson M&P 10 semi auto. 20" barrel, basic black. $1804
- reviews say it's a very solid gun. Great value for your dollar. Great
versatility: hunting or tactical.

3. Sig Sauer 716G2 DMR semi auto. 18" barrel, 20 rd capacity. $2749
- a real bump in price but considered the military standard in 6.5C by most.

Appreciate any feedback on any of these firearms, especially if you have fired any of them.
Also, have a grand to play with for optics, so appreciate any thoughts there as well.

On another side, I finally got my hands on a Remington 66. Very happy about that. Going to pick up a Marlin 60 to round out my .22 collection.

I have looked at the 6.5 and it just doesn't bring anything home to the table for me. It's a slow 264 caliber that the 25-06 and 270 long action out perform. In short action the 7-08 and 243 both are better choices IMO. In a hunting round the ammo manufacturing is using a 129 grain bullet for speed that's 300 FPS slower than a 130 grain 270. Speed or mass kills with speed trumping mass. For ammo availability no matter where I was at would have to go to the 270 and 243. For long range target shooting the 243 has a half century of proven results.
Now a round that does have me intrigued is the 350 Legend. Ballistically it mimics a 30-30 and it can be had in an AR platform, bolt action and so on. Ammunition was relatively cheap as well.

Thanks guys.
Mostly hunting. Some long range target fun.
The 6.5 gets most love about its significantly less recoil (equals higher accuracy) and it's deeper penetration and great accuracy due to its high BC and sectional density bullets. I think it and the .270 are a close contest. Of course .270 has a long, proven track record with great ammo selections and availibility. I don't know how big a difference the recoil would actually feel like between the two. I'm a decent sized feller, so I suspect I wouldn't notice a 15% difference??

bball said:
Thanks guys.
Mostly hunting. Some long range target fun.
The 6.5 gets most love about its significantly less recoil (equals higher accuracy) and it's deeper penetration and great accuracy due to its high BC and sectional density bullets. I think it and the .270 are a close contest. Of course .270 has a long, proven track record with great ammo selections and availibility. I don't know how big a difference the recoil would actually feel like between the two. I'm a decent sized feller, so I suspect I wouldn't notice a 15% difference??

I have a 6.5 x 284. The Winchester .284 necked down to 6.5. I have it in a Cooper Single Shot Bolt Montana Model. I used it for long range target. I have a Winchester Pre 64 Model 70 in .270 Winchester. These two calibers are both great. But you hit the nail on the head regarding Ballistic Coefficient and Sectional Density.

The recoil difference is a non factor IMO

Hey bball, you might want to check out this Deathgrip tripod before you use up all your discretionary funds. I got this one for myself for Christmas. A little over $200. Weighs about 7 lbs I think. Mine's graphite composite or some such space age material. They also make aluminum for cheaper. Sighting in my Savage .17HMR with it here.

DSC02500.jpg

ga.prime said:
Hey bball, you might want to check out this Deathgrip tripod before you use up all your discretionary funds. I got this one for myself for Christmas. A little over $200. Weighs about 7 lbs I think. Mine's graphite composite or some such space age material. They also make aluminum for cheaper. Sighting in my Savage .17HMR with it here.

DSC02500.jpg

This is quite ironic as I just ordered that very tripod in graphite 5 days ago! Had a few Amazon gift cards to use up. How satisfied are you with it? It had fantastic online reviews.

bball said:
This is quite ironic as I just ordered that very tripod in graphite 5 days ago! Had a few Amazon gift cards to use up. How satisfied are you with it? It had fantastic online reviews.
:lol2: Tried it out yesterday for the first time and really like it. It's just what I needed for sighting in rifles as I'm getting a little shaky in my old age.

I've got a Swedish Mauser sporterized by the old Kimber (Oregon). I try to pick my shots wisely but it's not ever let me down. It'll be the last deer rifle to leave here. I'd like to have a 6.5*55 in a modern action or even a .260 to get a little more speed. But I'm not shooting much over 300yards unless it's for fun. I'd for sure base my decision on performance with 140s. The 6.5*284 that was mentioned or 6.5-06 would be better for longer distances I guess. I don't see where the CM is a revolutionary improvement over others that have been around for a while.

A little more research:
The 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor are ballistically equivalent(7mm edges very slightly in most categories). Creedmoor wins the recoil contest. Ammo prices are essentially the same. Both short action(my preference).

bball said:
A little more research:
The 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor are ballistically equivalent(7mm edges very slightly in most categories). Creedmoor wins the recoil contest. Ammo prices are essentially the same. Both short action(my preference).

7-08 is my standard carry in west Texas.
The 7mm bullet weights available to hunt different game is huge.
I bought a Marlin X7Y in 7-08 weighing 6.5 pounds. It was cheap Savage knock off that is a tack driver. When I can clover leaf off a lead sled at 100 yards that's a great rifle. I wanted compact and light. I am very recoil sensitive after cervical fusion and I don't notice recoil on this rifle. I have gave my 06's and 45-70 to grandkids.

The 6.5C has less recoil the the 270 by far. I despise the 270 because of the recoil. If I was in the market for a 270 type gun I would go 280 with out a doubt. Less recoil and better ballistics. 264 Mag is the same way but the ammo is not quite as common.

Only good thing about the 6.5C is people are jumping ship on them for hunting rounds so there are some cheap one popping up on forums already.

Two guys showed up withs 6.5s this year in WTX. Both lost deer and put them back in the truck for their 308s.

I go back and forth between my 243 and 308. I generally take both when I go any where. In deep STX or WTX where the deer get pretty large I favor the 308 but have not had an issue with either. I have the suppressor on the 243 which is a lot of fun and hard to beat.

I have the same tripod. We use it for sighting in or hunting out of pop up blinds.

I went down to my local gun shop and spoke with the owner for awhile. In my neck of the woods, he isnt moving any 7mm 08. He said no one uses that around these parts for whatever reason. 6.5 CM is just barely catching on so a tad better ammo availability than 7mm. He confirmed what Brute stated; the 308 is still king around our area. Thinking about Winchester 70 EW in 308...

bball said:
I went down to my local gun shop and spoke with the owner for awhile. In my neck of the woods, he isnt moving any 7mm 08. He said no one uses that around these parts for whatever reason. 6.5 CM is just barely catching on so a tad better ammo availability than 7mm. He confirmed what Brute stated; the 308 is still king around our area. Thinking about Winchester 70 EW in 308...

Hard to go wrong with a 308.
It was so good it fathered the 243 and 7-08 by reducing neck size.
Bullet selection is almost endless in 308.

Caustic Burno said:
bball said:

Exactly as I looked into a 6.5 CM and decided to stick with .308. Really 30-06 is probably even better in bullet selection and any US game a 30-06 will work just fine and there is a bullet for it.

Brute 23 said:
The 6.5C has less recoil the the 270 by far. I despise the 270 because of the recoil. If I was in the market for a 270 type gun I would go 280 with out a doubt. Less recoil and better ballistics. 264 Mag is the same way but the ammo is not quite as common.

Only good thing about the 6.5C is people are jumping ship on them for hunting rounds so there are some cheap one popping up on forums already.

Two guys showed up withs 6.5s this year in WTX. Both lost deer and put them back in the truck for their 308s.

I go back and forth between my 243 and 308. I generally take both when I go any where. In deep STX or WTX where the deer get pretty large I favor the 308 but have not had an issue with either. I have the suppressor on the 243 which is a lot of fun and hard to beat.

I have the same tripod. We use it for sighting in or hunting out of pop up blinds.

If you're saying the 6.5cm isn't adequate for those little Texas deer, I think you're crazy. I've shot hogs, Kansas whitetails, and elk with the 6.5 and it's killed every one.theres never a perfect caliber or the best caliber. There's only compromises between energy, b.c., sectional density, velocity And recoil. Kill a deer with a shoulder mounted howitzer if you want.

I like the 308, I hate the gun though (jamming sumbitsh with sloppy action). drops a bear dead in its tracks every time

I bought myself a little toy for christmas too.. 22 and 22wmr

Nesikep said:
I like the 308, I hate the gun though (jamming sumbitsh with sloppy action). drops a bear dead in its tracks every time

I bought myself a little toy for christmas too.. 22 and 22wmr

Which gun Nesikep?

jltrent said:
Caustic Burno said:
bball said:

Exactly as I looked into a 6.5 CM and decided to stick with .308. Really 30-06 is probably even better in bullet selection and any US game a 30-06 will work just fine and there is a bullet for it.

Your 100% correct the 06 can't be beat! When it gets down to it a 30-30 is all you need under 200 yards. The 250-3000 was the flat shooter of the day for the vermin guys. Good deer cartridge as well.
All three rounds are over a century old and just not in vogue. The 250 Savage didn't survive.Gun manufacturers are in the business of selling guns and ammo and have to give the car salesmen pitch on the new calibers.
Really the only game changer I have seen in the last 50 years is the 243. The bullet selection giving speeds of 2800-4000 FPS just smoked the 250 .
The 243 was just an improvement on the old 250-3000 Savage. It stood for 25 cal 3000 FPS. I haven't seen anyone with that caliber in decades.

Bcompton53 said:
Brute 23 said:

If you're saying the 6.5cm isn't adequate for those little Texas deer, I think you're crazy. I've shot hogs, Kansas whitetails, and elk with the 6.5 and it's killed every one.theres never a perfect caliber or the best caliber. There's only compromises between energy, b.c., sectional density, velocity And recoil. Kill a deer with a shoulder mounted howitzer if you want.

I'm not saying that. It's just not the miracle caliber ther enet suggests. It's a fad like the 300 black out. Soon they will move on to the next re-marketed caliber.

Latest posts