Repost Calf with foot/ walking problem

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score

Now he has gotten worse. Not just bending at the ankle joint, this calfs leg is bending forward and sideways at the knee joint as well. He stumbles every couple of steps or so. This heifer is the most aggressive momma I have had ao far. Think this leg could be broken by her stepping on it? He doesnt bawl when walking. He is a 5 day old calf angus crossed with a jersey bull.

Oh dang, from the pics it does look broken, not contracted tendons that are common at the fetlock. Is he still nursing, normal temp, otherwise active? I'd get him to the vet but if that's not an option then maybe a splint.

Looks like nerve damage -radial nerve or brachial plexus - in that limb to me, by the way the entire limb is 'dropped'; I'm guessing he's unable to advance that limb - just sort dragging it?
Prognosis for improvement is poor, but about all you can do is give it time and see if it improves.

Really hard to tell anything from blurry pics through a fence. My initial impression however is that it's not broken.

That said, I do see plenty of broken legs in day old calves and they will often walk on the break. Calves that age have difficulty understanding where the pain is coming from and don't favor the leg as much as you'd see from an older animal. Don't expect vocalization from the calf in response to pain (or as a means of determining whether the calf is in pain).

walking better. Learning to put that leg out fron when walking to keep from falling.

My only coyote death ever was with a calf like that. I wish I hadn't of put him out to pasture, or atleast not the more remote pastures. Was just expecting him to grow out of it and he was getting around. Next time I seen him all that was left was his chewed up ear tag and a couple bones.

Supa Dexta":gd798trz said:
My only coyote death ever was with a calf like that. I wish I hadn't of put him out to pasture, or atleast not the more remote pastures. Was just expecting him to grow out of it and he was getting around. Next time I seen him all that was left was his chewed up ear tag and a couple bones.
So the calf never got better?

Anyone knownm how to put a splint on the leg and if this would help. Its been 3 weeks. He is jumping around like a calf does, very active and nursing but stumbles every once and a while, or should I keep his momma in a 1 acre pasture and sell him in December at 3 month weaning time.

BK9954":1c8mb8wu said:
Anyone knownm how to put a splint on the leg and if this would help. Its been 3 weeks. He is jumping around like a calf does, very active and nursing but stumbles every once and a while, or should I keep his momma in a 1 acre pasture and sell him in December at 3 month weaning time.
Selling it? Better give it away as a free calf if it doesn't get better. Leave it on the momma cow till it's six or seven months old. Pen the calf and cow up till he gets better.

BK9954":17pcb8ve said:
Supa Dexta":17pcb8ve said:
So the calf never got better?
It was probably got killed by the coyotes. Defenseless calves are fair game for coyotes

Supa Dexta":1391jk3h said:
I'm not sure if that wasn't clear - but no, after being eaten by a coyote he did not get better...?
I was referring to the leg never improved before it went into the pasturw? I just pulled an old thread from here about a calf with the same problem. I will give him another 3 weeks like Dunn said. Hate to keep feeding square bales while I have green pastures but guess thats the only option. I have tons of coyotes on my ranch. They run the creek here.

Muddy":2itb108i said:
BK9954":2itb108i said:
Selling it? Better give it away as a free calf if it doesn't get better. Leave it on the momma cow till it's six or seven months old. Pen the calf and cow up till he gets better.
Yes I agree Muddy.

Yep--or find a backyard hobby farmer that wants to raise a 'rescue animal' as a pet--they'll be overjoyed with themselves.

I splint using pvc cut in half with vet wrap. Gives good support. I contracted tendons work at straightening daily, massage, and then splint. Does wonders, and is recommended by Texas A&M vet and Merck Vet manual online.

He is walking pretty good now. He can run perfect. After keeping him penned up for about 4 weeks I let them out with the herd in the 60 acres with the other Cows and small calves. He is almost walking completely normal. Been keeping an eye on him.