Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

That top heifer...DAMN!!!! I could move a truck load of them every day, and twice on Sunday. I don't blame you for keeping this one! Sorry to to tell ya, but there is no way you can improve on your breeding program,. Brute. You can;t improve on perfection
Thank you for the kind words but there is always some one with some thing better. If nothing else you are always trying to make them more consistent, or cheaper, or more volume... some thing.

Those are usually the kind I sell and keep the ones with more Brahman influence.

The thing I like about the most about the F1 tigers is I can raise them for the same, or even cheaper, as what I can sell them for 15 years later for salvage.

Alot of cows can produce good selling calves but not taking a beating at the end on the cow is a game changer to your bottom line.

I have a small herd of about 10 black cows, 5 baldys, and a black bull. I am looking to add a few more heifers to the herd and am considering herefords or charolais but am open to anything. What are everyone's opinions on what I should get next?
With a small herd you need to aim at consistency. Making black/bwf calves looks like it should be the goal for your herd, and try to make frame score match.

Cow's these are full sisters.
Hell yeah! Those are the right kind, too. Looks like all anyone would need to do to get up a herd of the right kind is to go to Texas and see you and Brute! These kind of cows would be an excellent choice for @CattleFarmer17 to breed to his Angus bull. Yours and @Brute 23's. Down here and parts even further south, I wouldn't hesitate to use a reg Brangus bull on them, either.

How far apart are you and Brute anyway, mileage wise?

Last edited:
Not sure how far we are apart. I am about 75 miles west of the Sabine.
I am thinking about flushing and storing the eggs or embryos from this girl, she is my last registered Hereford.
She is an 08 model.
Or putting her over at my neighbors with his registered Brahman.

Attachments

• EF4F03FE-32FA-4EAF-81C6-C256419FE139.jpeg
    EF4F03FE-32FA-4EAF-81C6-C256419FE139.jpeg
    973.1 KB · Views: 10
Not sure how far we are apart. I am about 75 miles west of the Sabine.
I am thinking about flushing and storing the eggs or embryos from this girl, she is my last registered Hereford.
She is an 08 model.
Or putting her over at my neighbors with his registered Brahman.
Need to use some of the eggs and go to a Hereford bull also. If the F1s are jam up it would be nice to keep her genetics alive.

I would do a deal like that and figure out how to split the bill.

Check out that top pic, @CattleFarmer17 . That is what you'd get with a cow like that bred to BB homozygous for black Angus bull. Top dollar if the calf is a steer, awesome replacement if it is a heifer. If I was a young man starting out in the cow business today ( or how I should have done 40 years ago) , I would just buy reg Brahmas, Black Angus and Polled Hereford. And registered Brangus and Braford. I believe those 3 foundation breeds and those 2 composite breeds, is all a man needs to get good momma cows, top-selling steers, and relatively trouble free calving and over all health. I might do like I do with my prize winning chili....tweak the recipe every one in a while, mixing these 5 breeds....just to see if I might like the new concoction better :)

Yes! I would like to get just one like that, a half dozen good specks, and a half dozen flounder, and I am as happy as you can get on a boat! Or at least as happy as I can get on a boat now at my age!! :)
I just bought a bigger one in September to chase specks and bass. Won a many a tournament on Galveston Bay with specks.
Just can't get there with the bass.

Attachments

• 3EBE8444-E6B8-4E8B-9753-7DD32A205331.jpeg
    3EBE8444-E6B8-4E8B-9753-7DD32A205331.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts