Replacement females???

Help Support CattleToday:

Grass quality is likely why. How many others can do better in that short of time and with how many heifers?
I have smaller numbers so a %age would not be relevant. I synchronise for 1 round of AI and then 1 round with the bull which would fall 21 days after AI and I think 20-22% would be a realistic figure. I do leave the bull in for a 2nd shot at them and sell these PTIC so I know that there will usually be a couple that fall outside of that 1st 21 days. There are factors outside of feed and sexual maturity with heifers, some are just shy breeders and don't know to stand still for the bull to do his work. I use yearling bulls on my heifers and there is variability in their ability to hit the mark the first time with a young lady.

Ken

my question is for the I raise my own heifers crowd. what's your percentage of heifers that are still in your herd at 4 years old? that's no second chances or dropping back a season. I don't have a dog in this hunt I buy mid to old cows I hate heifers and the problems they bring.
just curious what people's results are.
Not sure how to put it into a percentage, but my top 23 cows were born between 2010 - 2018. The only time I've sold a cow younger than 4 was either private treaty, a freak case of mastitis at a young age, or they lost their calf for whatever reason and I needed to cull (primarily because of a drought). Lost one to lightning. I did sell a first calf heifer that wouldn't mother-up (and sold her calf to a friend to graft). And that's the exception to the "heifer problems". Most of them are perfectly fine. But I also have them pelvic measured, bred to a high CE bull and watch them like a hawk - just in case.

Are you now saying that $1600 gets a 600 lb feeder heifer? I thought you were talking about replacements AI bred to there choice of bulls. Sometimes your posts are hard to follow.
No you asked how they could make money selling the heifers for $1600, and I said that is more than any that size are selling by the pound even in todays market. So, they are making more than if they were selling terminal heifers. In other years when the price of beef is not that high they make even more, Your question made no sense, so it is hard to respond to one like that.

Last edited:
Are you now saying that $1600 gets a 600 lb feeder heifer? I thought you were talking about replacements AI bred to there choice of bulls. Sometimes your posts are hard to follow.
Ya, how many cows you got? 😂😂

Not sure how to put it into a percentage, but my top 23 cows were born between 2010 - 2018. The only time I've sold a cow younger than 4 was either private treaty, a freak case of mastitis at a young age, or they lost their calf for whatever reason and I needed to cull (primarily because of a drought). Lost one to lightning. I did sell a first calf heifer that wouldn't mother-up (and sold her calf to a friend to graft). And that's the exception to the "heifer problems". Most of them are perfectly fine. But I also have them pelvic measured, bred to a high CE bull and watch them like a hawk - just in case.
If one of those 23 was empty it would be 4.3%. Our average the last 20 years since predators have been so numerous is abot 8%. That does not include the late ones.

Our rates have changed a bit year to year due to pastures and weather and exposure to bulls days.
2021 so so year 60 heifers exposed 60 days 5% open.
2022 good growing year 50 heifers exposed 60 days 0% open
2023 very dry year 60 heifers exposed 50 days 6.7% open.

I'll add that on the last year one was a free Martin and a couple of the opens were a little on the smaller side. This year I'm feeding them a little better before they get on grass so we will see if that changes anything.

Our rates have changed a bit year to year due to pastures and weather and exposure to bulls days.
2021 so so year 60 heifers exposed 60 days 5% open.
2022 good growing year 50 heifers exposed 60 days 0% open
2023 very dry year 60 heifers exposed 50 days 6.7% open.

I'll add that on the last year one was a free Martin and a couple of the opens were a little on the smaller side. This year I'm feeding them a little better before they get on grass so we will see if that changes anything.
We feed to have a green, 700 to 750 heifer going to grass in late May. 5 weeks later on our best flush of grass the bulls go out. Those who don't want to live here weed themselves out fast.

It pays to cull hard for fertility and other issues. I plan on tightening the breeding window and letting the crème rise to the top. The times that I gave a cow a second chance because they were my favourite they disappoint 9/10 on the second go around.

Dealt with a fellow who had some commercial cows and some purebreds same breed. He had a 3 strike rule. I'm sure it got applied to the purebreds more often because they were purebreds. The guy was always burnt out working his job and running his 90 cow herd and barely staying ahead of the bills. I'm thinking if he culled all the free loaders he could have quit his job and just ran his cows and living the dream life.

I would never, ever buy from a sale barn. It is not even a thought to go see what is there. I would buy from a big breeder who makes their living from raising bred heifers to sell. They have a yearly sale. Or even if a sale barn says they are going to have a purebred sale, and people are running those through from different farms. I only buy from outside sources if I feel I need to add new blood or the heifer is out of a bull or cow I particularly like. Otherwise, I retain heifers from my top cows and know what I am getting as far as production quality.
When your bring cows from outside sources you never know what you are bringing into your herd that you have kept so clean and disease free. I will not put a cow from someone else's farm in my trailer. I can't think about buying from a farm that constantly brings in new cattle from the sale barn.

I know of a large operation that still does that and most of his herd had the pink eye and their method of treating these cattle was horrible and he came though with blind cattle and scarred eyes. I told one person that come to my house quite often that worked for this farm not to ever wear the same boots or much less clothing he had on if he had been working over there. They had constant loss of animals. Seems they would learn a lesson but do not. Told them to erase all methods of how they treated those animals and not to do treat their animals they way they treated theirs. Their cattle stayed wild with fear of how they were handled on a continuous basis. Buying from a reputable breeder is the way to do if you must.

I knew a man in Montana who kept all his heifers. Bred them all. Lots of bulls in to breed them. He had a vet who was real good with ultra sound. He kept the the one calving first and that had bull calves. Sold the rest as bred heifers.
We used to keep nearly all our heifers except for a few obvious culls. Put in enough bulls to hopefully get at least enough bred for our needs, then at preg testing time we'd keep most everything that was bred. It was a nice paycheque selling yrlg heifers in the fall.

Wonder where the Bird went. Maybe still looking for proof of higher selling calves.

Yes, they are.
I can't turn away from an argument. Character flaw.

So your top steers averaged $2050. Good price.

The team sale in Eastern alberta in 2023, the first steers on the page weighed 550 and averaged $2275

Convince yourself all you want and blow smoke for whoever needs it. Do whatever you need to sleep at night.

The team sale in Eastern alberta in 2023, the first steers on the page weighed 550 and averaged $2275

Convince yourself all you want and blow smoke for whoever needs it. Do whatever you need to sleep at night.
@Heronfish what is a "team sale"? I haven't heard that term before.

Of course, they were heavier and 12 cents closer to feedlot alley. Kind of a no brainer.

Wow - when I opened this thread there were 10 pages. I read them - some posts closer than others.
LOCATION is the biggest factor to all our managements. My cattle definitely do not get chased by cougars or bears!!
My location does great with larger cows. We have tons of grass and grow all the hay we need on our land. I don't try to get the biggest cows around. Some genetics just grow bigger. I am in a totally different scenario than most on these boards. I am selling purebred breeding stock. I can sell 1 cow's calf for an amount of money to pay for 5 cows yearly bill. I would never buy replacement heifers. I'm in the business to sell females to others getting into the business.
Basically, the only feed I buy is whole shell corn to raise my replacements (roughly $150/hd from weaning to breeding) - and to finish out my fall born steers. And, of course, some show feed. Not nearly as much as my competitors buy, but it is an added expense - showing is advertising expense for my farm.
Really can't compare my farm to others.

Latest posts