Nice Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Got some good looking girls the other night very happy about my purchase out of W4 Hereford bulls and brangus cows. Have them penned and work them this weekend.

Bfields30 said:
Got some good looking girls the other night very happy about my purchase out of W4 Hereford bulls and brangus cows. Have them penned and work them this weekend. 16 months old

Brute 23 said:
Nice. Keep them in that pen for a good while. I assume your going to knock those horns off?

Yeah I was going to take them to the vet And let them do it. How long you think is long enough for them to be in there?

Bfields30 said:
Brute 23 said:
Nice. Keep them in that pen for a good while. I assume your going to knock those horns off?

Yeah I was going to take them to the vet And let them do it. How long you think is long enough for them to be in there?

That depends on the animal. Are they flighty or real laid back now?

It also depends on how mellow you want them to be. I personally dont want them running around and stirring my pen up. I dont mind if they are a little stand-off-ish as long as they walk there and dont start running around in the pen. They need to walk or have a slight trot when they are pushed... not raise that tail and head and run.

Also look for things like them not letting you walk behind them. If they are constantly turning and spinning so you are in front of their face, what I call squaring up to you, leave them in the pen.

Just curious why you'd take them to the vet to get horns cut?

You can get a nice old set of dehorners pretty cheap. Think I paid about $60 off EBay for an antique beefy 3' pair. Not as handy and maneuverable as a small battery powered, but nice to have around.

Brute 23 said:
Bfields30 said:
Brute 23 said:

That depends on the animal. Are they flighty or real laid back now?

It also depends on how mellow you want them to be. I personally dont want them running around and stirring my pen up. I dont mind if they are a little stand-off-ish as long as they walk there and dont start running around in the pen. They need to walk or have a slight trot when they are pushed... not raise that tail and head and run.

Also look for things like them not letting you walk behind them. If they are constantly turning and spinning so you are in front of their face, what I call squaring up to you, leave them in the pen.
Yeah there not crazy or trying to get me but they are still flighty and I want to make sure there used to me I'm going to feed them and sit in there with them everyday while they eat so they can get used to me.

Beefeater said:
Just curious why you'd take them to the vet to get horns cut?

You can get a nice old set of dehorners pretty cheap. Think I paid about $60 off EBay for an antique beefy 3' pair. Not as handy and maneuverable as a small battery powered, but nice to have around.

I haven't took them yet but 5 dollars a head to take to my vet feel more comfortable them doing it.

I do the same thing with heifers. Its dirt cheap to run them in. I'll vac, tag, brand, dehorn if needed, all in one shot. He has way better facilities than we do and I cant get help to come to me for that cheap. Our vet is kind of new and he really caters to livestock people, which is becoming rare, so I try to throw him as much as possible. Plus, their first experience of all that stuff is in some pens they will probably never go back too. :)

Brute 23 said:
I do the same thing with heifers. Its dirt cheap to run them in. I'll vac, tag, brand, dehorn if needed, all in one shot. He has way better facilities than we do and I cant get help to come to me for that cheap. Our vet is kind of new and he really caters to livestock people, which is becoming rare, so I try to throw him as much as possible. Plus, their first experience of all that stuff is in some pens they will probably never go back too. :)
Day 4 there waiting for me at the gate of the pens and followed me to the feed bunk today getting better and better.

Bfields30 said:
Brute 23 said:

More people need to take the responsibility to burn the horns off as baby calves than put them through the trauma of dehorning later.

BTW, I know little about floppy eared cattle but those look like nice, well grown out heifers to me.

gcreekrch said:
BTW, I know little about floppy eared cattle but those look like nice, well grown out heifers to me.

Yeah I think I got a steal on these there ready for the bull imma keep them penned 2-3 weeks tryna get them puppy dog gentle almost week and it's paying off. There gonna be some
Nice big mommas one day. There figuring out I have the food and when I get home
Wanting it lol pretty funny to me I just feed them a lil sweet feed every day and sit with them until there done eating.

We have successfully used elastrator bands on horns that size. They have to be restrained, clip the hair back a bit at the base and roll the band on until into the hair line. A few weeks and they are gone, no blood.

gcreekrch said:
We have successfully used elastrator bands on horns that size. They have to be restrained, clip the hair back a bit at the base and roll the band on until into the hair line. A few weeks and they are gone, no blood.
do you double them up in case one breaks or maybe wrap some electrical tape on it so they don't rub on the bands?

Nesikep said:
gcreekrch said:
do you double them up in case one breaks or maybe wrap some electrical tape on it so they don't rub on the bands?

Have had to replace a couple but negatory to both questions. Works on bigger stuff also as long as you can get the ring to reach the hair line.

Update these girls are puppy dog gentle now I let them out in pasture amazing what couple weeks penned and feeding everyday does. They run up to me everytime they see the truck or everytime I walk in the pasture and follow me when I'm getting ready to leave it there gentle

Latest posts