Replacement females???

Help Support CattleToday:

Sotex

Reaction score
What's your preference for obtaining replacement females? I have a small commercial herd. Mostly I've bought cows that have had a calf or two previously.

The problem that I run into most often with buying cows is that they seem to have been sold because they don't breed back promptly.

I like the idea of retaining my own heifers but then you have to keep them away from a bull and they don't generate any income for a couple years.

Just thought I'd see how some of you more experienced folks like to do it.

Find an outfit that deals in breeding age heifers or buy bred heifers instead of cows. Retaining heifers is always your best bet for several reasons but is a whole new can of worms to get setup for. I agree on the cow buying deal.....it's always 50/50

Over the years we kept heifers and raised our own for the most part. What @Silver said is true, if you have good bulls, the better heifers kept out of the cows, will continue to improve what you have, and they know and fit what you are doing...
I do not buy bred heifers... they are often the highest priced of "breds" and I want them to have some experience... been there, done that, and just does not do what we want. I also like to buy from herd sellouts... and will often buy the "old ones" as they have been in someone's herd for a reason. Often have kept heifers out of some of those old cows and they will stick around in our herd for years also.
We have quite a few rented/leased pastures... and anything raised here learns the whole routine of getting caught up in the catch pens and loaded on the trailer and moved. Sometimes I feel guilty when it comes time to load the steers to sell, as they think they are getting a ride to somewhere... only not the somewhere the last ride was for. Funny how the steers are often more quiet and handle-able when they are younger and the heifers a little more excitable... but then the heifers learn that a trip on the trailer is not a bad thing... and our bulls will load right up because a trip on the trailer means they get to go keep company with some cows...
Over the years we have culled for disposition and older cows from herd dispersals are usually more tractable animals also... and they pass those traits down to the calves by their actions. But I like the heifers that we raise up the best for the most part.

Every cow & heifer I have was born & raised here. Retained/replacement heifers are based on the history of the dam. The only ones I keep are from dams that consistently calve within the first few weeks of of the calving season, have an excellent disposition, good feet & udders, health history (of both the dam & heifer). Then, they have to have a minimum 150 pelvic measurement at 11 months (although there is some wiggle room if they're close and I really like her). You can't buy that.

We've always raised our own for the reasons Silver mentioned.

My only problem with that is the last 2 years I've had an un-precidented less than 12% heifers. Which between opens, age/injury culls, and death loss, has left me stagnant in growth.

With the addition of 280 more acres last year, I need to grow. But finding it hard to do given my own herds breeding, and current replacment prices.

What's your preference for obtaining replacement females? I have a small commercial herd. Mostly I've bought cows that have had a calf or two previously.

The problem that I run into most often with buying cows is that they seem to have been sold because they don't breed back promptly.

I like the idea of retaining my own heifers but then you have to keep them away from a bull and they don't generate any income for a couple years.

Just thought I'd see how some of you more experienced folks like to do it.
For a commercial herd, you are doing the right thing. Actually, it is more like 30+ months before you can sell a calf off of a retained heifer. From a pure economic stand point, you can always buy as good or better heifer or cow, for less money than you can raise one. But even that depends on your situation. If you have a few cows, but raise a couple hundred acres of hay to sell, and/or raise corn, then your costs, then your costs will be less than someone who has to buy all of their hay, feed, etc. Yesterday I watched several online auctions, and saw 4-500lb heifers bring $2.80- $3.00/lb. , and 5-600 bring $2.50 - $2.75 lb. By the head, all across the country, bred cows and heifers were as cheap as $100 to high as $2300 per head. So, you could have sold a heifer for $1500-$1600, and with the same money, or put a couple hundred with it, and you could have bought a bred cow/heifer that would give you 2-3 calves before that one you retain has her first. Not all cows at the sale barn are culled due to problems. Many are sold by people getting out of the business, changing direction in their programs, tightening calving schedules, etc. And there are people who specialize in raising replacement heifers. Most have spent a long time putting together the cow herd they raise them from, and use top quality bulls. If they have been doing this for a while, and have a good reputation, you are completely safe buying from them. Of course, there are people who have commercial cows that just enjoy raising their own heifers, and making money is secondary to that. Growing up, my ganddaddy had commercial Angus. We'd trailer wean al the claves, heifers and steers. If we ever needed to replace a cow, we'd take her and the calves ready to be weaned to the sale, and bring back a replacement cow. Never ever put a steer in the freezer, either. He said he would rather take them to the sale, and stop by Wynn Dixie on the way home., and just buy whatever T-bones he wanted to eat with the calf money.

We've always raised our own for the reasons Silver mentioned.

My only problem with that is the last 2 years I've had an un-precidented less than 12% heifers. Which between opens, age/injury culls, and death loss, has left me stagnant in growth.

With the addition of 280 more acres last year, I need to grow. But finding it hard to do given my own herds breeding, and current replacment prices.
yeah, the cows need to cooperate and give you some heifers!

I had one cow, sold her at 12 years old.. she NEVER had a heifer in her life

Since we started, I only bought ONE female, and that was a weaned calf. I like raising my own, they learn how to behave (and if they don't, they get shipped), after doing this for 5 generations of cows I've worked out a lot of the troublesome ones, the bad feet, the bad udders, and the bad tempers

I am switching to raising my own. I am tired of buying groups of cattle and weeding out bunch of them. My last straw was buying an expensive group of heifers advertised as fescue adapted, etc. from a big breeder and now needing to cull probably half of them.

I did get some that were good and seem to be thriving here with the first two moving up in calving dates this year with two heifers. My intention is to keep from those ones that are early breeders and build from there.

We raise our own…on the commercial and purebred sides. We know what works for us and like the familiarity of the genetic lines and the cattle knowing our expectations. When we have purchased, always purebred side, they have come from dispersals and we buy the proven more mature cows. I agree with @farmerjan the bred heifers are costly sale features but seem to be the most popular in bidding. I think we (all of us) do what works best…as @Sotex mentioned management ie. land, pens, breeding, feeding, etc all plays into what is best for your operation as it applies to replacements.

We retain heifers. I can not buy cattle for cheaper than I can raise an apples to apples comparison. Can I buy "a cow" ... maybe... but not an comparable equivalent.

Raising heifers is one one of the joys of the business, for me. I keep comments and notes and calf weights on every cow that comes through here so I have performance history, right off our land, in our environment, in our operation, to work with when selecting replacements. Doing this has really helped to cut back on all the nonsense because ultimately nonsense costs $$$. It is very satisfying to build a herd off performance and see the market respond.

Maybe watch and talk to your neighbors that are keeping heifers and see if they will sell some out of their pile. Most people are going to keep a few extras than what they need. If some one needs 10 they may develope 12 or more. They may let you pick up a few extras for a couple hundred over what they would get at the AB.

My family and I both operate like that. We bring in what ever looks about the same quality to choose from. I have friends that will come pick out of the group or we may take what we want and put the rest on FB or some thing unless I'm busy then they just go to auction. 😄

I'm not agaisnt buying but it's from other friends I know how they operate. My cull % of bought cattle vs retained cattle is always higher on the bought cattle.

Last edited:
Something which I have done and may or may not work in your area. I knew a guy who ran about 700 cows. He did a lot of AI and always bought the top end of bulls. He kept 70 heifers every year. The rest were sold as feeder calves. Well how good are the next 30? That is what I bought from him for a few pennies over feeder prices. I would want them from someone with a fair number of cows who breeds to real good bulls.

I do have one heifer that I kept that is due to calve in a couple months. I kept her sister last year also. I didn't realize that such a high percentage of y'all preferred raising your own but I definitely understand why.

The Strategy that I've been moving towards is to keep a small herd that will always be here and retain a few heifers. As rainfall amounts vary quite a bit here I plan to buy a few breds when we have extra grass and sell any excess cows and calves in the fall.

Raising heifers is one one of the joys of the business, for me. I keep comments and notes and calf weights on every cow that comes through here so I have performance history, right off our land, in our environment, in our operation, to work with when selecting replacements. Doing this has really helped to cut back on all the nonsense because ultimately nonsense costs $$$. It is very satisfying to build a herd off perforce and see the market respond.
This!!! I love seeing multiple generations of a prolific lineage; daughters, granddaughters and great-granddaughters. With the matriarch still one of my best cows.

Latest posts