Remington 700 in 280

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":kea1bmlp said:
Something for you to figure out in your spare time, I want to be able to set on top of the river clift just east of your house and shoot a hog in the fields across the river. The farthest end of that field would be nice but that would be stretching it I guess. Tell me what I need. :help:
That sounds like the Bacon's bottom or Debusk has now. A Barrett M82 shooting a .50 BMG round would be nice shooting from the cliff all the way across. You wouldn't get a lot of drop or wind resistance, but there wouldn't be a lot of hog meat left either. The bigger the round the better, but that 280 I bet would work good.

jltrent":2nux970g said:
kenny thomas":2nux970g said:
Something for you to figure out in your spare time, I want to be able to set on top of the river clift just east of your house and shoot a hog in the fields across the river. The farthest end of that field would be nice but that would be stretching it I guess. Tell me what I need. :help:
That sounds like the Bacon's bottom or Debusk has now. A Barrett M82 shooting a .50 BMG round would be nice shooting from the cliff all the way across. You wouldn't get a lot of drop or wind resistance, but there wouldn't be a lot of hog meat left either. The bigger the round the better, but that 280 I bet would work good.
Thats the place. Since I would already be 200ft above the field on the other side of the river how would that effect the accuracy of the bullet when shooting downhill at 1,000 yards. I may never do it but it facinates me that I might try it.

I put together a 280 Ackley last year. Plenty accurate but I was disappointed in the ballistics. I guess I was expecting too much.

3waycross":33zp5qhn said:
I put together a 280 Ackley last year. Plenty accurate but I was disappointed in the ballistics. I guess I was expecting too much.

What were you expecting and what did you get? Short of a 7wsm or .284 shehane shooting 180's, 280ai is about as good as it gets for a .284.

SJB":2mainztv said:
3waycross":2mainztv said:

What were you expecting and what did you get? Short of a 7wsm or .284 shehane shooting 180's, 280ai is about as good as it gets for a .284.

I didn't Chrono the loads yet but the drop at 300yds really surprised me. I am going to get back into some load development soon. I will post the results.

I was shooting 140's in it hoping for a real good Deer and maybe Antelope rifle.

Latest posts