registering cow no papers

Help Support CattleToday:

WindyKnollFarm

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just bought a good Angus cow but the issue is she was never registered. I want to be able to register her next calf but everything I run into leads back to the issue of the unregistered mother. I know I'm shooting in the dark but any ideas on any organization to atleast register a 50 percent calf? Thanks.

I'm no help, but I'm curious as to why you would want to?
I can't imagine that having papers from an organization that will register a calf with unknow origin would be worth much.

Can you contact the previous owner or breeder to get the information to get her registered? That would be my first place to call if you really want this calf registered. I would like to get answers as to WHY the cow was not registered. If she is older, they may not be able to help you.
Some breeds will let you register a 50% calf for an "upgrade" program. Santa Gertrudis has their Star 5 program that will allow you to have papers on the crossbreds in case you want to upgrade your existing herd without going out and purchasing a large amount of cows. I know that other breeds have programs like this, but not sure what each are called (if they have a name).

WindyKnollFarm":2o2xoh1l said:
Hey everyone. I just bought a good Angus cow but the issue is she was never registered. I want to be able to register her next calf but everything I run into leads back to the issue of the unregistered mother. I know I'm shooting in the dark but any ideas on any organization to atleast register a 50 percent calf? Thanks.

What's the "other" 50%?

Sounds like you bought a black cow - perhaps with Angus heritage.

IF she is the product of two registered Angus cattle, the breeder/original owner might be able to go back and register her - I've not read the AAA's regulations - but if allowed, it'll likely be costly, and they'll probably require parentage verification to the alleged dam and sire via blood-typing/DNA analysis.
If you're wanting a registered Angus calf, you're probably just gonna have to buy registered stock; may be the cheapest and easiest way.

AAA does not have a 'grading up' program.
Some other breeds will allow you to register % calves out of unregistered grade cattle.
For example, I started out breeding up toward purebred status, with Simmental sires back in the late 80s, on unregistered commercial Angus(and a few Holstein) cows. Never got to purebred status with any of 'em before life got in the way - but wasn't far off from it with some of 'em.
Red Angus Assn. has something of a 'grade up' program, but as I read it, you can never reach Category IA unless you start with registered Red Angus stock.

Lucky_P":hap2p4bp said:
Red Angus Assn. has something of a 'grade up' program, but as I read it, you can never reach Category IA unless you start with registered Red Angus stock.
Correct, the best that can be achieved is 1B. It's the equivelent of 1A = Fullbood and 1B = Purebred.
1A is 100% Angus and 1B is Ithink 87.5% and greater Angus. And yes, it takes a lot of years to get there

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I bought the cow from a guy who has a Longhorn herd. When he went to pick up a bull he decided to get a couple Angus cows. She is 5 years old and has turned out three healthy calves at his farm. He said he is tired of her pushing his longhorns around. in contacting the previous owner before him I was sorry to find he had passed away and his wife didn't know of any pap ers. my idea was to either breed her to a simmental or Angus bull. I would have a registered sire with an unknown dam. Even if I could not register her 50 percent calf the next generation would be 75 percent Angus or simmental but I'm back to the same problem.... The whole thing makes my head hurt but my old lady is hellbent on getting this cow or her first calf registered. Thanks again.

WindyKnollFarm":204omlq9 said:

Check out the shorthorn association... or whatever other breed you'd like this cow to be five generations from now. Some of them will allow F1s in for breeding up.

WKF,
You're just out of luck on the black Angus deal - there's no way to get there; but you can 'breed-up' to purebred status with many of the other breeds. If you breed this black cow to a registered purebred or fullblood sire from those breeds that do have an open herdbook, you can register the resulting calf as a halfblood, then, with each ensuing generation, if breeding heifers to a registered sire, you move closer to that 'purebred' status - whether it be 7/8, 15/16 or 31/32, etc., as established by that particular breed association.

You would have to breed her to something that has an "open" herdbook and still allows breeding up. Then register the calf as 50% of that breed.

You bought a commercial Angus cow. A good registered Angus breeder will have commercial calfs for sale. There will be something wrong with her, you just might not see it. They will still be good stock if he's a "good and legit" registered breeder. To many breeders are registering cattle that should not have papers. And all that does is hurt the breed.

highgrit":2ykcjkw2 said:
You bought a commercial Angus cow. A good registered Angus breeder will have commercial calfs for sale. There will be something wrong with her, you just might not see it. They will still be good stock if he's a "good and legit" registered breeder. To many breeders are registering cattle that should not have papers. And all that does is hurt the breed.

Why do you say this hurts the breed?

I would think that recording the progeny of the dam and sire would make their epd's more realistic. Granted the calf needs to be a feeder and maybe not bred. The dam and sire are what they are not registering reporting the data on the calf just hides that in my opinion.

Yes it looks like I will have to try to breed up to whatever will allow me. Highgrit I do understand what you are saying 100%. The frustrating part is the guy I bought her from is positive she was registered, it was his negligence in never getting the papers from the previous owner, who is now dead. I'm still happy with the situation tho. She has good feet and legs a lot of rib makes a good amount of milk and I have seen three of her healthy calves in the past. All for less than she would bring as a cull cow. Thanks again everyone.

I see your point tom, but epd's can look good on a cow and she can have lots of other problems that she needs to be culled for. All cows have something "wrong" with them. As a breeder I feel you should cull any offspring that you wouldn't keep for your own breeding stock. In humans it's called dummying down. Nothing wrong with eating a cow with bad feet, or temperment, or so on and so forth.
But to register it is wrong for the breed IMO.

WindyKnollFarm":2ipzizmv said:
Thanks everyone for the feed back. I bought the cow from a guy who has a Longhorn herd. When he went to pick up a bull he decided to get a couple Angus cows. She is 5 years old and has turned out three healthy calves at his farm. He said he is tired of her pushing his longhorns around. in contacting the previous owner before him I was sorry to find he had passed away and his wife didn't know of any pap ers. my idea was to either breed her to a simmental or Angus bull. I would have a registered sire with an unknown dam. Even if I could not register her 50 percent calf the next generation would be 75 percent Angus or simmental but I'm back to the same problem.... The whole thing makes my head hurt but my old lady is hellbent on getting this cow or her first calf registered. Thanks again.

Look in her ears and see if she has a tattoo. She may already be registered. If so then she can be traced. You can also pm me your phone number and I can halp you with some other options that i don't feel like discussing here!

I hate to throw water on your BBQ but forget it. Allowing things like this only opens the door for people to fudge

Latest posts