Registering a Commercial Hereford?

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I have a very good Hereford cow that has a lot of traits I want to promote. She is one of my target cows. She looks very much like a model Hereford cow but was purchased from a friend who bought her from an older guy who raised her... But she was never registered and there is likely no way to really establish an accurate pedigree.

My question - is there some way to get her registered as a Hereford cow? Maybe a dna test or something? She certainly looks as Hereford or more than many of the registered cows I see pictured. I'd like to use her as a foundation for future growth.

Thanks. Jim

You need to contact AHA to know for sure, but unless her sire and dam were both registered, I don't believe she is eligible. I think Hereford is one of the breeds with a closed herd book.

SRBeef":6w7r23nc said:
I have a very good Hereford cow that has a lot of traits I want to promote. She is one of my target cows. She looks very much like a model Hereford cow but was purchased from a friend who bought her from an older guy who raised her... But she was never registered and there is likely no way to really establish an accurate pedigree.

My question - is there some way to get her registered as a Hereford cow? Maybe a dna test or something? She certainly looks as Hereford or more than many of the registered cows I see pictured. I'd like to use her as a foundation for future growth.

Thanks. Jim

No, not possible. But as "bamy" said, it wouldn't stop me from propagating her. I've been watching your dilemma with your old bull and your desire to keep him and linebreed him with interest. My suggestion would be to use the best son instead. And one out of your target cows would probably get you where you want to go sooner.

The lack of papers wouldn't concern me too much in your situation. Just keep good in herd records and use them. In the future, DNA testing for the important economic traits will become common - and a herd of cattle with the right DNA profile may find greater demand as seedstock than those who have all the registration papers and EPDs.

George

Getting papers seems highly unlikely, as mentioned, a phone call to AHA is the place to start. I traced papers on a quarter horse an jumped through the hoop to get her reg. So as unlikely as it is, here is my two cents. If you can find the owner of the cow when she was born, you can check to see if the sire and dam had papers, if so it should be easy and some $ to pay. If one or both parents are not reg. Then go back another gen., but now your dealing with 4 head that need paper and getting her dam or sire reg. And more $....if they don't have papers do you try to go back further? I had to go back 5 gens. to get this mare reg. Just to be clear on why I went through the trouble with this mare is she is a reg. Paint, overo, that could (is) reg as a quarter horse. So I went through the trouble and expense to make her one of the few double reg. Mares, she's APHA and AQHA ..... And yes for those horse people she is also pinto or ApHA. So yes she is tripled reg..... But I have little respect for the pinto assoc, kind of a kids show circuit that almost any horse can get into as long as they have enough color. Any It is unlikely but just my thoughts on a possibility, it's a matter of finding cattle in the pedigree and getting the ones not reg. Papers.... And of course the cost and dealing with the owners of said cattle. If it was me I would check to see if the sire and dam have papers and if not forget it and breed her.

Alan

Alan":3n67f1xi said:
Getting papers seems highly unlikely, as mentioned, a phone call to AHA is the place to start. I traced papers on a quarter horse an jumped through the hoop to get her reg. So as unlikely as it is, here is my two cents. If you can find the owner of the cow when she was born, you can check to see if the sire and dam had papers, if so it should be easy and some $ to pay. If one or both parents are not reg. Then go back another gen., but now your dealing with 4 head that need paper and getting her dam or sire reg. And more $....if they don't have papers do you try to go back further? I had to go back 5 gens. to get this mare reg. Just to be clear on why I went through the trouble with this mare is she is a reg. Paint, overo, that could (is) reg as a quarter horse. So I went through the trouble and expense to make her one of the few double reg. Mares, she's APHA and AQHA ..... And yes for those horse people she is also pinto or ApHA. So yes she is tripled reg..... But I have little respect for the pinto assoc, kind of a kids show circuit that almost any horse can get into as long as they have enough color. Any It is unlikely but just my thoughts on a possibility, it's a matter of finding cattle in the pedigree and getting the ones not reg. Papers.... And of course the cost and dealing with the owners of said cattle. If it was me I would check to see if the sire and dam have papers and if not forget it and breed her. that reminds me i still aint had my old rope horse registerd in my name that i bought in 87

Alan
that reminds me!! i still aint got my old calf horse registerd, in my name i got back in 87...need to get on that before long
:cowboy:

Thanks to all for the input. As I have no current plans to sell any registered stock there is no pressing reason to register this cow but if it could be done I would just as soon start now rather than wish I had 10 years from now.

George, that is what I am planning to do. I have a really sharp looking son of T-21 out of this cow that I am asking about that I would like to focus on for the future. I like WLM's comment also about just closing the herd and building on what I have.

With the new Tundra heifer (my only registered female) and the second Huth bull between my neighbor and me we have enough genetics to start selecting and breed the stuff we like and meets our needs and not breed the stuff we don't like.

Using this son of T-21 from this really model, easy calving, good growth, "smart", good disposition 1200 lb cow to breed the rest of the herd gives me a double dose of her genes. Especially bred to some T-21 daughters out of some other cows I should be able to develop a pretty good line suited to my conditions and needs.

I will probably register any T-21 or U-70 females out of this Tundra heifer but not worry about the rest and focus on producing and selling good beef.

Jim

Latest posts