Registered cattle records

Help Support CattleToday:

riquezada

Reaction score
There is someone close by that has a registered Charolais bull for sale but "lost the papers"...I've never had a registered or purebred bull before for the handful of cows I had but I grew the herd and now I'm thinking I might go that route. Anyways I suspect the bull probably isn't registered but if he is couldn't the papers be replaced? Thanks

Yes. Bull probably has a tattoo in one or both ears. Hope it's still readable. Contact Charolais Association for info.

Thanks. I thought about checking into the cost-share program but I guess I need to see what criteria is necessary to qualify a bull for it.

Good luck with the cost sharing program, I apply every year but since most of my income is not from the farm I can't get any money. They always give the money to the same select few who are already doing quite well

Unless the bull has tattoos for both the herd ID and the individual animal ID there is no way to know who the bull really is. Taking the sellers word for it without thew tattoos is a suckers game. If he has both tattoos, check with the char association to insure he is in fact registered and who owns him and if he can be transferred

I don't know much about the reg Cha association but with angus yes you can check for a tattoo but heck you might have 1000 calves with the same tattoo number. Is getting the tattoo number just a way to narrow down the search to see if he is registered? Does the guy selling the bull have any information on sire or dam? A breeder should be able to replace papers if he in fact registered an animal. We have to many folks come to us to purchase registered animals with horror stories of cattle they had purchased from folks that could never produce the papers. We store all of our papers electronically so when I want to show a customer papers I can print them a copy or give them the registration number where they can pull them up themselves. A reputable breeder will be able to provide papers.

gizmom

I used to be a member of the Charolais Association, AICA. I would certainly think that if the bull was indeed registered that it could be verified and a new copy of the registration provided. If the folks who currently have the bull, raised him, they should have records of tattoo, herd #, and birthdate, sire and dam info, and should be able to contact the AICA, and figure it out based on records. If they had purchased him from another breeder, the current owner should be able to contact the original breeder, as they likely still have their original records.

gizmom":36993mdi said:
I don't know much about the reg Cha association but with angus yes you can check for a tattoo but heck you might have 1000 calves with the same tattoo number. Is getting the tattoo number just a way to narrow down the search to see if he is registered? Does the guy selling the bull have any information on sire or dam? A breeder should be able to replace papers if he in fact registered an animal. We have to many folks come to us to purchase registered animals with horror stories of cattle they had purchased from folks that could never produce the papers. We store all of our papers electronically so when I want to show a customer papers I can print them a copy or give them the registration number where they can pull them up themselves. A reputable breeder will be able to provide papers.

gizmom

I've never understood why the AAA doesn't require a prefix tattoo like other breed associations. If you check the ears on a registered Limi for example, you should find both prefix and herd ID number. Makes it pretty easy to figure out who is who if necessary.

Boot Jack Bulls":2wt9z10o said:
gizmom":2wt9z10o said:

gizmom

I've never understood why the AAA doesn't require a prefix tattoo like other breed associations. If you check the ears on a registered Limi for example, you should find both prefix and herd ID number. Makes it pretty easy to figure out who is who if necessary.
Red Angus do, I just assumed they all did

Ok I am honestly not trying to be snarkey with this reply but other breeds don't typically register over 300,000 calves a year. I may be wrong but if you start looking through Angus cattle you will find a bunch of herd with the same prefix. Ok Im done being snarkey.....I don't know if it is a word if not it should be.

gizmom

gizmom":2c9cp5h5 said:
Ok I am honestly not trying to be snarkey with this reply but other breeds don't typically register over 300,000 calves a year. I may be wrong but if you start looking through Angus cattle you will find a bunch of herd with the same prefix. Ok Im done being snarkey.....I don't know if it is a word if not it should be.

gizmom

I was just noting that I personally find it odd that they don't require the prefix as part of the tatoo...no matter how big the registry is. Also, are you saying that they assign the same prefix to different herds? Not being snarky, just curious.

BJB

ok all kidding and snarky aside, when I think of prefix I am thinking for example Gizmo is our herd prefix. What do you mean when you say herd prefix. Do other breeds assign a herd prefix? I have never registered anything but Angus so have 0 experience with registration requirements of other associations. I can see where if the breed association assigned you a prefix to use when tattooing it could be a benefit but the boss would hate adding additional digest to the tattoo.

Gizmom

I'm not going to even look at this bull. As far as I'm concerned "lost papers" pretty much equates not registered. If I were selling a breeding bull that was registered but lost papers, I think I would track down the papers...just my $.02 worth...

riquezada":1w0dlzpt said:
I'm not going to even look at this bull. As far as I'm concerned "lost papers" pretty much equates not registered. If I were selling a breeding bull that was registered but lost papers, I think I would track down the papers...just my $.02 worth...
Probably a good call.

gizmom":1w0dlzpt said:
BJB

ok all kidding and snarky aside, when I think of prefix I am thinking for example Gizmo is our herd prefix. What do you mean when you say herd prefix. Do other breeds assign a herd prefix? I have never registered anything but Angus so have 0 experience with registration requirements of other associations. I can see where if the breed association assigned you a prefix to use when tattooing it could be a benefit but the boss would hate adding additional digest to the tattoo.

Gizmom
Gizmom, I am way more familiar with Limis. NALF assigns a four letter ID to each breeder. You can pick the letters to be a recognizable condensed version of your farm name (think COLE, MAGS, WULF). For example, our cattle are registered as Boot Jack Titan, Boot Jack South Bruizer, ect., but the actual prefix can very depending on which of my family members actually owns the cow at calving time. We have 4 prefixes in our family alone. This is why in several Limi sales, you will see several prefixes belonging to one "farm". The childern, grand children, partners, relatives all have there own, but are part of the same "farm" (or ranch or cattle co, or whatever). We actually put both prefix and herd ID in the same ear, with a double head tattoo gun, so we just try to group ones with the same prefix together when we run them through to tattoo, so we don't have to switch that part as often.

BJB

I like that concept and can sure see how it would work. I appreciate you explaining it, when I commented I was thinking Angus prefix or farm prefix like Coleman Angus or 44 Farms and thinking wow that is way to much to put in an ear. I think I had a senior moment!

Riquezada

I think your making a good call a breeder (no matter what breed) should be able to produce papers if they tell you the animal is registered.

Gizmom

With Red Angus you select the 3 or 4 letters that you wish to sue for your herd prefix, whichever one is not in use you get assigned. If they are all taken you have to submit 3 new choices. For registering, right ear gets the herd prefix, left ear gets the animal individual ID. What makes it handy is you can look up the prefix and the ID and know exactly who the animal is along with all of the data for all generations before it.

Same as up here for certain breeds, Although thats the herd letters for the tattoo (and whatever unique ID you want it to have, ex: ABC is your herd letters and the calf is #10 you'd tattooed ABC10D in its ear, and record which ear it was placed in, Every animal would be tattoo ABC something, with the letter year. D =2016

The Herd prefix is for its official name - the name of your cattle herd

Ex if you were 'shady farm' - every animal you register would be 'Shady *whatever*'

Latest posts