Registered Black Angus having a red calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":1rcn2hb9 said:
Yep, sure have... Red carrier bull, meets old Sally the red carrier cow...
Maybe SOB can figure the odds of that happening? I can't see how with all the AAA registry that you could possibly end up with two red carriers in your herd.
I'm all for red Angus being part of the AAA myself, we eat and sell meat.

Silver":cfzb7606 said:
Why wouldn't you?
Because I've never had a red calf crossing black Angus on commercial baldie cows or registered Simmental or Angus cows. I've had some calves with white faces though.

To me it's like children who have built palatial forts and don't allow the other team entrance. These cattle trace to the same lineages, and simply either have the red trait, or don't. For those of us who breed both, its a real nuisance to deal with both registration programs. First world problem, I guess, but still.

True Grit Farms":2aczgtin said:
Silver":2aczgtin said:
Why wouldn't you?
Because I've never had a red calf crossing black Angus on commercial baldie cows or registered Simmental or Angus cows. I've had some calves with white faces though.
That's the very situation, it's most likely to happen in..."""If""""a bull is a 50% red carrier...with the right ""2 black carrier" cows it may never show up...50/50 chance it will with red carriers..

Red x Red:
100% progeny will be red (even if any red parent had a black parent)

Black Red Carrier x Red:
50% progeny will be red and 50% will be black. Reds will be pure red and blacks will all be red carriers.

Black (non red carrier) x Red
100% progeny will be black red carriers

Black Red Carrier x Black Red Carrier:
75% progeny will be black and 25% will be red. Of the blacks, two-thirds (or 50% of total progeny) will be red carriers, and one- third (or 25% of total progeny) will be non red carriers.

3-1
When mating 2 recessive carriers there is a 25% chance of recessive trait expression.
In this case red is recessive, so 1 out of 4 calves will be red or 3 black and 1 red = 3-1 odds it will be black
Crossing a red animal with a black red carrier 50% will be black and 50% red.... 50/50 chance
(as long as no 'wild-type' red gene is in the mix)

Even with 50/50 chance odd things can happen.
Going from memory....
Dun had a black 'granny' cow that was a red carrier, mated to red angus bull she had 15 black calves before having
a red calf.

The odds of finding and buying two red gene carriers in the AAA is almost impossible anymore. But If you did and then IF you mated those two animals together and then IF they ended up having a red calf you'd be one unlucky individual. IMO
Does anyone know how many red gene carriers are left in the AAA? I heard somewhere that there was only seven red carriers still alive and registered with the AAA in 2009? Now no one seems to have that answer at the AAA, and none of the older AAA breeders that I've talked to know either. Is it fair to assume that it's almost impossible to have a red calf when breeding two registered AAA animals together in this day and age?

Nope. Rare, but not impossible. How many registered herds are you familiar with? There are herds out here (nationally known) that still gets a red calf. Now, I'm pretty sure they "know" which ones are carriers.
I just sent a text to previous AAA president.
Grit - You seem to be really having a hard time accepting the fact that Reg Black Angus can produce a red calf. That was the reason Red Angus got started. Noone knew what to do with the "non-registerable" red offspring.
USA is the only place that they have separate associations.
I have red calves all the time out of two black parents = red calf with 0 zippo none black gene.

If both parents are registered angus, and the resulting calf is really good you may of hit the jackpot. Red angus can use an outcross sire with genetic merit.

Vince, there was a place on AAA website that told red carriers. If you have purebred Angus and a red calf, I'd be doing a DNA test on both animals. If your using PB bull on cross cattle, I think they can have a diluter gene that can cause that.

No - the diluter gene on a black haired calf will come out chocolate or greyish - not red. A lot of Simmental calves (and some Angus) are black, but have a "reddish" coat color - like a bleached out black in the summer or lacking copper in their diet. But, they will have the black nose, tail, feet & the undercoat is black. They turn black when they lose their baby fuzz. they look more of a brown-ish.

Red calf out of black Angus parents are not that rare, considering how many registered black Angus total. I just don't understand what is big deal about the red genes in Black Angus?

Latest posts