Red Angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US

Reaction score
28728_387453239359_121377094359_3660674_5264294_n.jpg

I've been a fan of Tim Cox's art for about 30 years.

This is a piece he's done for the Prix De West Art Show in OK City in June.

Name: When Change Comes Slowly
24" X 36" Oil on Masonite
$35,000 minimum bid

George

"I have been thinking alot lately about how fast the world is
changing. Luckily, there are still places where change comes slowly.
In this painting, the weather is changing, the season is changing,
the cattle are a more modern breed that has changed from the old
trail drive days of the longhorns. There is an old buffalo skull
beneath the rider that represents the days of the native american.

It gives me a sense of peace that there are places where changes
still come about slowly and for a reason."

Tim Cox

Herefords.US":7n6wbtgc said:
"I have been thinking alot lately about how fast the world is
changing. Luckily, there are still places where change comes slowly.
In this painting, the weather is changing, the season is changing,
the cattle are a more modern breed that has changed from the old
trail drive days of the longhorns. There is an old buffalo skull
beneath the rider that represents the days of the native american.

It gives me a sense of peace that there are places where changes
still come about slowly and for a reason."

Tim Cox
this type of """change""" i can live with :cowboy:

Julian":2kojtp0n said:
Would like to see Wayne Baize do some work with Red Angus in it as well. Thanks for posting this!

Yeah, I've never seen Wayne paint any other cattle but Herefords and an occasional Longhorn. He had his first one-man art show only a couple of blocks from where I'm posting this (Stephenville).

My Dad commissioned Wayne to do "portraits" of a couple of our old foundation Anxiety 4th cows in the early 90s. He did a great job of capturing how they looked, working from old photographs and then placing them into an artistic setting. He and his wife, Ellen(Largent), came to the ranch and spent the day looking at the cattle - and taking photos of cattle, live oak thickets, and cactus plants to incorporate into the paintings. Those two paintings are among my most prized possessions now.

Personally, I liked Wayne's work better back when he was doing his mixed media pieces(pencils, charcoal, acrylic). Great detail! One of my favorites is from that time is "SPRING":
spring450.jpg

I wasn't as big a fan of Wayne's oils but he's definitely getting better with the media the more he works with it. "A GOOD LICKIN'":
1011.jpg

George

I really envy people that can do that. I see things all of the time that I think would make a beautiful painting, but I am incapable of doing it.

alacattleman":1btbv2ew said:
stephenville tx. the cowboy capital of the world ,next to oakdale ca. :p bet land around there claims a pretty penny

Small places are outrageously priced. Places with 100 acres or more (raw land) are listed for $3500 - $5000 an acre.

George

I beleive that Wayne Baize or the Largent's purchased a bull named Major Lamplighter (recalling from memory) from Jim Lent's Anxiety 4th herd maybe 15-20 years ago or "thereabouts." I remember seeing Major Lamplighter pictured in Lent's ads in the Hereford Journal many years ago. Too bad Wayne didn't use him as a subject. If he was half as impressive as in his photo I believe Wayne could have made something rather incredible.

Julian":ofchu769 said:
I beleive that Wayne Baize or the Largent's purchased a bull named Major Lamplighter (recalling from memory) from Jim Lent's Anxiety 4th herd maybe 15-20 years ago or "thereabouts." I remember seeing Major Lamplighter pictured in Lent's ads in the Hereford Journal many years ago. Too bad Wayne didn't use him as a subject. If he was half as impressive as in his photo I believe Wayne could have made something rather incredible.

I believe that was the foundation for their herd of miniature Herefords that they developed. When everyone went bigger, Rust Largent (Ellen's dad) decided to go smaller.

Edited to add: Actually, when looking at Major Lamplighter on the AHA web-site, it appears that Wayne and Ellen bought the bull primarily for use in their herd - and the Miniatures were already being developed by Ellen's brother and Rust.

Here is a link to their web-site:
http://www.minihereford.com/?gclid=CM6RxNOfu6ECFU8K2god2RPRAQ

711K-0709H.JPG

George

Hello, everyone!
Tim and I just got an email about this forum talking about Tim's
new painting that is going to the Prix de West which is called
"Where Change Comes Slowly". The "When Change Comes Slowly"
name was my mistake when I posted it on Facebook.

Yes, those are Wagonhound Ranch Red Angus cattle from Douglas,
Wyoming. You all are the first to comment about them BEING
Red Angus! Tim has been to that ranch many times. They
were so beautiful! At times, to me, they seemed to almost
have a shimmer like gold fish. I know that sounds silly, but
they almost glittered in real life.

Tim has painted a lot more Hereford and crossbred herds than he
has the Red Angus. This is my new favorite: "Reluctant Company"
https://www.timcox.com:4443/2133.html
(I can't post pictures yet on this site)

Thank you for all of your nice comments about us and Wayne
and Ellen Baize too!

Best regards,
Tim and Suzie Cox
(505)632-8080
EAGLE CREEK ENTERPRISES
891 ROAD 4990
BLOOMFIELD NM 87413
http://www.timcox.com

Visit Our

Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tim-Cox-Fine-Art/121377094359?ref=mf

Red Angus Foundation, Inc., raises $28,000

The Red Angus Foundation, Inc. (RAFI) raised $28,000 through the auction of seven signed and numbered prints of Tim Cox's limited-edition "Where Change Comes Slowly" piece during the 2010 Red Angus Association of America (RAAA) national convention in Springfield, Mo.

The print features the fall roundup of Red Angus cow-calf pairs at Wagonhound Land & Livestock Co. near Douglas, Wyo., and is the first work of the renowned western artist to solely feature the breed. The original oil-on-masonite sold for $42,500 at the Prix de West art show in Oklahoma City, Okla.

"I have been thinking a lot lately about how fast the world is changing," said western artist Tim Cox of Bloomfield, N.M. "Luckily, there are still places where change comes slowly."

"In this painting, the weather is changing, the season is changing and the cattle are a more modern breed that has changed from the old trail drive days of the Longhorns. There is a buffalo skull beneath the rider that represents the days of the Native American," continued Cox. "It gives me a sense of peace that there are places where changes still come about slowly and for a reason."

The artwork was a perfect fit for the Red Angus message.

"Tim Cox's art captures the way of life of contemporary ranch families. 'Where Change Comes Slowly' certainly speaks to Red Angus' 56-year journey from obscurity to a major seedstock source for our nation's cow-calf operations," said Greg Comstock, RAAA CEO who custom-framed the auction prints.

Jeffries Land and Cattle, Jerry and Pat Jeffries and Clint Jeffries of Checotah, Okla., purchased prints no. 1 and no. 500 for $7,500 and $6,500 respectively. The no. 1 print was framed in Mesquite with turquoise inlay, and no. 500 was framed in Mesquite.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/10082

Print no. 2 sold to Tongue River Ranch, Forest and Sue Dunning of Sheridan, Wyo., for $1,100 and was framed in Purpleheart.

Donnell and Kelli Brown of the R.A. Brown Ranch, Throckmorton, Texas, purchased print no. 10 for $5,700. The print was framed in Leopard wood with cherry wood trim.

Diamante Ranch, Glenn and Randy Brown of Diamond, Mo., had the winning bid of $1,900 on print no. 15, framed in Bloodwood.

Kirby and Robyn Lane, Neo-Sho Farms of South West City, Mo., purchased print no. 16 for $3,800, framed in Sapele.

Print no. 57 sold to Lazy J Bar Ranch, John and Stephanie Jung of Mina, S.D., for $1,500, framed in Mesquite.

"This was a tremendous fund raiser," said RAFI President and RAAA Board of Director Esther Fischer of Harlowton, Mont. "It far exceeded our expectations and we are grateful for the generosity and support of the Red Angus breeders to get the foundation up and running."

The RAFI will sell the remaining signed and numbered limited-edition prints for $125 each to benefit the Foundation's General Fund. Disbursements from the General Fund may support juniors, Breed Improvement, Education or any charitable function approved by the RAFI board to advance the position of the Red Angus breed.

To purchase a print, contact Jeanene McCuistion at the RAAA national office at (940) 387-3502 or e-mail her at [email protected].
http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/10080

That was an awesome event, watching the generousity of breeders believing in the foundation and the breed.

I ordered a print last week. Over the last few years the Red Angus association has sold 3 different photo/prints so far and we now have all 3.