Red Angus Question?

Help Support CattleToday:

Walker

Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting a Red Angus Bull on the the Red Gelbvieh cattle we have. These cows have good udders,milk well and are gentle. I try to have my family (wife and 2 young kids) participate as much as possible on the farm, so temperment is something I play close attention. Also we will be retaining heifers. So I would like any information on sires or lines you personally have used, preferrably the negative as well as the positive. Feet, temperment, maternal ability and breeders you trust. I live in East Tennessee, pastures mostly fescue and rocks. Thanks for any info.

Most of the Hobo line seems to be pretty easy going, Chateau also. Some talk about his feet but we haven;t had a problems with them. Major League sons also seem to be really laid back. Our pastues are also rock and fescue, the good pastures are fescue and rock.

I had been looking at trying to visit with a local breeder Mont Vue , but found out that they had a herd dispersal sale earlier in the month. I'm not as savy about picking a bull as I would like to be so I have to lean on the more qualified for help. As a telephone repairman Ive learned more about shooting the bull rather than picking one.

We've used Norseman King and some of his offspring the last few years, so far so good on him.

I haven't dealt with Red Angus in years but from what I remember anything from Buffalo Creek was suposed to be above average on temperment. Hobo was a BC bull and I think???? chateau was as well? One of the first herds that I worked with when I started AI for a living used Hobo on just about everything. The cows would chase you around the corral to stay out of the chute and then crawl out of it once you got them there but those Hobo calves on their sides were pretty cool with whatever you had in mind.
That being said, with those good gelbvieh cows I think it would be hard to make a choice that would give you bad tempers in one generation. Even if the calf's genetics aren't ideal temperment-wise they'll learn how to react to certain situations from momma. Gentle handling will help a great deal no matter what the genetics.
Bulls are pretty much just bulls unless they're downright mean and that's fairly rare. You can't trust them any more than you can force them to do anything...which you can't. Your worst nightmare is a bull that you trust enough to have your family around him. So if Red Angus is your choice then either buy a bull that you can tolerate for a while or consider AI. I recomend AI but I have to admit that I'm somewhat biased.

We are creating a strain of Julian B571 Red Angus. MontVue had quite a few B571-influeced cattle. Buffalo Creek used B571 successfully in their herd as well. One of our linebred B571 bulls, Steadfast Boaz T71, has sired calves in the Flying H Gelbvieh herd and also for the John Oswald Gelbvieh herd. John Oswald owns a breding interest in him ad well. Boaz, like some other B571 influenced cattle will carry a bit more leather upfront as compared to some other Red Angus, but cleaner than the average Gelbvieh. B571 has made some very good Red Angus cows.

If we weren't breeding B571's we would be looking hard at the AX- Gamblers.

I invite you to visit our website should you be curious.
--Dwight

Walker":1soqil7d said:
I had been looking at trying to visit with a local breeder Mont Vue , but found out that they had a herd dispersal sale earlier in the month. I'm not as savy about picking a bull as I would like to be so I have to lean on the more qualified for help. As a telephone repairman Ive learned more about shooting the bull rather than picking one.
It was a darn good sale. Prices were in most cases very reasonable for the quality of the animal. I'm waiting delivery of the ones I bought.

We have a bull - BJR Gambler 027 that will make some fine cows. Udders and production is excellent. There are probably other bulls that will sire more growth, but he makes nice cows. Julians Boaz bull is out of a top cow and has been heavily used lately. He would be worth a shot as well. Especially after seeing pics of the RA x GV calves by him.

I have seen Dwight's cattle and I was impressed, both by temperment and phenotype. I have seen pictures of Ax' s cattle on keeneycorner and they are very impressive as well.

Walker":2f0os40b said:
I'm thinking about putting a Red Angus Bull on the the Red Gelbvieh cattle we have. These cows have good udders,milk well and are gentle. I try to have my family (wife and 2 young kids) participate as much as possible on the farm, so temperment is something I play close attention. Also we will be retaining heifers. So I would like any information on sires or lines you personally have used, preferrably the negative as well as the positive. Feet, temperment, maternal ability and breeders you trust. I live in East Tennessee, pastures mostly fescue and rocks. Thanks for any info.

You may want to get in touch with Dennis Hinch @ Shady Bottom Ranch in Crossville. He has some really good looking bulls with ages from yearling up to 2 years old. Major League and Chateau.

I have been to the Shady Bottom Ranch site as it was a link on the Mont Vue website, but when I looked @ bull sales It referenced 2008 and I thought that maybe they were out of business. Does anyone have any info onthem. Thanks

Walker":3ppmogdm said:
I have been to the Shady Bottom Ranch site as it was a link on the Mont Vue website, but when I looked @ bull sales It referenced 2008 and I thought that maybe they were out of business. Does anyone have any info onthem. Thanks

They are not out of business. I visited there in September. Some of the 2008 bulls on the website have been sold but others remain. Give him a call.

Temperament is not a concern. Avoid above average milk and high energy requirements when crossing with Gelbvieh.

Latest posts