Red Angus Cows with Black Angus Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyBlue

Reaction score
My son and I have "inherited" my dad's little bitty herd of cattle. They are mostly Angus-Hereford crosses. Our bull is a big ol' black Angus, and our Hereford, Angus and BWF cows bear small calves that grow off quickly and healthy and big, and they sell GREAT! Now, I am not really wanting to mess with our modest success, but my son wants to buy some Red Angus replacement heifers or young cows.

I guess that would be a good idea ... wouldn't it?

Before anyone asks ... I don't have any clue as to the genetic background or ancestry of our bull. My uncle bought him at the sale barn for my dad, kind of as an emergency measure a few years ago, and he has turned into a real keeper! But like I said, we don't know anything about him.

PS - wooops ... maybe I should have posted this in the beginners board area ... :oops: Sorry!

I have red angus cows running with a black angus bull right now and I should expecting black calves out of red cows next spring as black gene is dominant over the red gene assuming that your bull do not carried red genes. Sounds like you are happy with the bull so no need to get rid of him.

If you want to try out the breed get some young commercial Red Angus cross cows. It looks like you are raising calves for market, so the crossbred cow is a better choice due to heterosis and less cost to purchase. The Red Angus Stockyard always has listings for commericals. If coat color is a concern, you probably won't get red calves out of current bull if you haven't already (some of those Hereford crosses should have a red gene).

OK, those answers addressed several of my questions! I think the only reason my son wants the red cows is for the color. The red cows will be "his" cows ...

CowboyBlue":xlrpex3t said:
OK, those answers addressed several of my questions! I think the only reason my son wants the red cows is for the color. The red cows will be "his" cows ...
CowboyBlue-

You haven't mentioned your son's age, and how much experience he has had in breeding beef cattle. It may be true that the red color is the operative reason that your son is interested in the Red Angus cows, and there is nothing wrong with that premise. However, there are many other good, legitimate reasons for selecting Red Angus genetics to incorporate in ones' existing herd other than what color the calves may display. I would suggest that you use this opportunity for a "learning" session and help your son to make decisions for himself based on good, solid thinking and proven facts by logging onto the Red Angus web site and downloading their information about the breed, and the uses of Red Angus genetics with cross-breeding and straight breeding protocols. 'Dad' might even learn something in the process, making a "bonding" opportunity between Father and Son.

Also - just because you have some some "modest success" with your current operaton doesn't mean that you can't make significant improvement in your management practices. Don't be hesitant to try some different methods for making a profit. Just study a little bit about doing some of your breeding and cattle managing in a proven manner, even if it is a little different than what was "good enough for Dad". The Red Angus Association (and all other Beef Cattle Associations for that matter) will be happy to send you material and information to help you improve your BU$INE$$ methods and operating practices. And doing things correctly is what we all should be striving for, isn't it?

Good luck with your [Search].

DOC HARRIS

Thanks, Doc! I have been doing some research online, and I have been impressed so far with the Red Angus websites, and the information I have gathered there. And, my son is 20 and has kind of "taken the ball and run with it," to use one of my coaching euphemisms, as far as the little ranch goes. The Red Angus question came up because 1) he wants his "own" cows in the herd, and 2) because I am shying away from Herefords. I have always loved those white-faces, but the Angus calves just sell a whole lot better.

I keep waiting for someone else to mention it, but I guess I'll again have to bring up the issue of coat color and heat stress.

Black cattle have more trouble with heat than red or lighter colors, and heat stress is a significant production factor.

So it's a good idea to have red cows who will tolerate heat better, and when bred to a black bull, you can sell the black calves for a better price, at least currently.

The red angus also have pigment around the eyes to avoid sunburn which is a concern with Herefords.

Here's a few references on heat stress to get you started.

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/vdpam/extensi ... eef-cattle

http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/Cattlemen ... 0study.pdf

Djinwa, just let it go.....nobody's buying "black cattle being intolerant of heat" story. Really it gets old very quickly and it's already dunked.

Yessir, I have considered heat stress in my black cattle and my BWF cattle. So far *knocking on wood here* I have seen very little if any heat stress in my herd, either in last summer's heat or this summer's. My cattle have lots of shade in their pastures, with lots of live oak and post oak thickets, and grazing is never more than a short "amble" from a good shade tree. So I have been fortunate.

One of the things I like about the Red Angus is the pigmented lower eye-lid. I have seen too many Herefords in the past with cancer-eye, and that is a problem I don't have to put up with anymore, I reckon.

Taurus":3hw6ge8g said:
Djinwa, just let it go.....nobody's buying "black cattle being intolerant of heat" story. Really it gets old very quickly and it's already dunked.

I don't buy it either and I raise both.

Red Angus are generally good momma cows. Ought to work good with a black Angus bull.

i have found the red angyus asso. here in oklahoma near impossible to contact for information. awhile back i called an officer of the club to find some members that might have breeding bulls available but to no avail. i ended up buying another breed...........

Latest posts