Red Angus calf color?

Help Support CattleToday:

jmbadavis

Reaction score
My son's cow had a heifer this spring that was born pretty dark. And she seems to be getting darker almost black instead of red. We had her AI'ed by a red angus bull. I have pictures of her posted in the Photo Gallery but having troubles figuring out how to get them posted in this message. Has anyone seen a VERY dark red angus calf (almost black) before?

P1020644.JPG

P1020650.JPG

I'm guessing she didnt get a.i.'d to a red angus. some sort of mix up with the straws, maybe?

Thank you so MUCH for posting the pictures for me. I am guessing the only way I would know is if I DNA test? I have the DNA on the cow. THe sire was suppose to be Glacier Chateau 744. Anyone seen his offspring?

I think it was more of a mix up with straws. The black gene is dominant to the red gene, whether the animal is heterozygous black or homozygous black. So my hunch is that the sire's an Angus, not Red Angus. Other wise if it'd be red, you'd have a red calf.

JMHO.

Red Angus on Red Angus can not EVER throw black. Either a neighbors bull or a mixup with the semen.

She was AI'ed on July 25, 2006, calved on April 30, 2007. So she was pretty much on for her date. Hmm, we think she is a pretty good looking heifer. But everyone has different opinions, and that's ok.

My son who is 14 is trying to build up a beef herd. He and his sister show at the county fairs for 4-h and FFA. The cow is not a good show animal, but she is just a very good mom. So the heifer may be shown in a crossbred class, which is fine. But she may just turn out to be a good mom.

I've seen a lot of Chateau calves, I really like them. I also like the cow in the picture. Looks like just a good solid moeny maker. Not too crazy about her feet, but even that's hard to tell from a picture. The calf looks ok too. Nothing glaringly wrong. But what can you tell about a 2 month old calf with certenty other the gender or an obvious glaring fault.

Another picture of Chateau. He is dark but definitely red and so are his calves out of our red cows
chateau.jpg

Latest posts