The “free” ones

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
Well, this poor guy was huddling against an inner median wall on Hwy 6 in Waco on Saturday when we drove by. His only exit direction was into traffic. My dear hubs saw that he was alive, made the exits to get back around to him while I called Waco PD. Luckily the shoulder was wide and he was so scared he wasn't moving.
Good pup. Quiet, housebroken, gets along with our others, but of course had some car meeting injuries. So, went to the humane society, they can do vaccines but no X-rays.our vet had no openings for the week and I only had part of today off (so I could help watch Mom). Got him in to the one overpriced vet who could do X-rays. Dislocation (at least not shattered). So looks like we have a good young neutered pup whose owners aren't looking for him….
Orthopedic surgery consult next Monday 🙄

Attachments

• CB8E9352-390B-4149-B89C-3F104B9FED81.jpeg
    CB8E9352-390B-4149-B89C-3F104B9FED81.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 14
  • CC8CC3BB-E42C-46C3-932C-E3C57327A77A.jpeg
    CC8CC3BB-E42C-46C3-932C-E3C57327A77A.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2BFDCB71-44F1-498C-A4D1-9B6EAD7B4518.jpeg
    2BFDCB71-44F1-498C-A4D1-9B6EAD7B4518.jpeg
    698.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 0ABD856C-0560-4996-96C0-20715FF234A5.jpeg
    0ABD856C-0560-4996-96C0-20715FF234A5.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
My dog died a few weeks back. I was going to go a while before I acquired another one but the good Lord decided differently and these three wondered up over three days time.
Two mostly Catahoula females and one that looks like a Great Pyreenes/ Anatolian male cross.
One of the Catahoulas has a wanky eye. The other has a hitch in one of her back legs. I'll let them stay but I doubt any of the three will see a vet except maybe to get fixed.20240507_194030.jpg20240507_194048.jpg20240507_194033.jpg

Last edited:
My dog died a few weeks back. I was going to go a while before I acquired another one but the good Lord decided differently and three wondered up over three days time.
Two mostly Catahoula females and one that looks like a Great Pyreenes/ Anatolian male cross.
One of the Catahoulas has a wanky eye. The other has a hitch in one of her back legs. I'll let them stay but I doubt any of the three will see a vet except maybe to get fixed.View attachment 44480View attachment 44481View attachment 44482
If he wasn't doing the three legged hop I probably would've just watched it. Can't stand to see a critter in pain if I can help

Well, this poor guy was huddling against an inner median wall on Hwy 6 in Waco on Saturday when we drove by. His only exit direction was into traffic. My dear hubs saw that he was alive, made the exits to get back around to him while I called Waco PD. Luckily the shoulder was wide and he was so scared he wasn't moving.
Good pup. Quiet, housebroken, gets along with our others, but of course had some car meeting injuries. So, went to the humane society, they can do vaccines but no X-rays.our vet had no openings for the week and I only had part of today off (so I could help watch Mom). Got him in to the one overpriced vet who could do X-rays. Dislocation (at least not shattered). So looks like we have a good young neutered pup whose owners aren't looking for him….
Orthopedic surgery consult next Monday 🙄
Good on you...

But how do you know they aren't looking for him?

I'm surprised they didn't try and reduce that straight away, the sooner the better. His hips aren't ideal though fairly flat and shallow.

Ken
Wish they would have tried-the answer I got from each clinic I called was "there are only 2 clinics that do orthopedic stuff in Waco". One is the vet we use, who couldn't get him in this week. Large animal vets and vets who do more than spay/neuter and simple surgeries are the dying breed I guess.😕

Last edited:
My dog died a few weeks back. I was going to go a while before I acquired another one but the good Lord decided differently and these three wondered up over three days time.
One of the Catahoulas has a wanky eye. The other has a hitch in one of her back legs. I'll let them stay but I doubt any of the three will see a vet except maybe to get fixed.View attachment 44480View attachment 44481View attachment 44482
I don't personally see much in the way of Pyr /Anatolian in the one. Looks friendly and a nice dog... some lab and Heinz 57 more likely... They seem to know a good thing now that they found you. Glad they got you.

Hard to believe that a general companion animal practice could not reduce (replace) that dislocated hip; that doesn't require any special orthopedic equipment or expertise. I guess I'm just an old 'dinosaur', but closed reduction was a technique that every veterinary student learned, back in my day.
I can't remember how many of those we put back, back in the day... and how satisfying it was when that femoral head popped back into its socket. Did they all stay in place? No, but I'll bet 90+% did, without anything more than a figure-8 bandage to hold it in while the tissues around the joint healed.

If those Catahoulas showed up here, they'd be welcome to stay.

Hard to believe that a general companion animal practice could not reduce (replace) that dislocated hip; that doesn't require any special orthopedic equipment or expertise. I guess I'm just an old 'dinosaur', but closed reduction was a technique that every veterinary student learned, back in my day.
I can't remember how many of those we put back, back in the day... and how satisfying it was when that femoral head popped back into its socket. Did they all stay in place? No, but I'll bet 90+% did, without anything more than a figure-8 bandage to hold it in while the tissues around the joint healed.

If those Catahoulas showed up here, they'd be welcome to stay.
You would think…also, the lack of urgency regarding a dislocated hip is halfway confusing? I thought that was one of those "get it done early" things

So looks like we have a good young neutered pup whose owners aren't looking for him….
🙄

Well... you haven't answered my question about this statement you made... so I guess I'll express an opinion.

I've met people that think a wayward dog is fair game to take home and own. I think they are good hearted people, and have the dog's best interests at heart. I don't doubt that.

But dam* people... what about the ten year old kid that is weeping uncontrollably because his heart has been wrenched from his chest? What about the little girl that is going from house to house with hand made flyers, looking for her best friend that disappeared?

And don't tell me that if the owner cared, the dog wouldn't have gone missing. I've had dogs disappear and I know there are reasons. Dogs wander, sometimes long distances, and get lost. Dogs are stolen. Dogs jump out of trucks. And sometimes they stay disappeared because someone with a good heart finds them and keeps them.

I've found dogs. Without exception... if I found the former owner the dog was ecstatic when they were reunited. And who am I to make that kind of judgement call, to keep an owned dog and take it away from it's owner, anyway?

I remember my first dog that disappeared. He was a hunting dog and I'm sure he was stolen, used, and abandoned. I got a call about a week later and collected him from the side of the road where he had been hit and killed. He could have been returned instead of abandoned. My phone number was on his collar. Somebody missed an opportunity to be kind.

Well... you haven't answered my question about this statement you made... so I guess I'll express an opinion.

I've met people that think a wayward dog is fair game to take home and own. I think they are good hearted people, and have the dog's best interests at heart. I don't doubt that.

But dam* people... what about the ten year old kid that is weeping uncontrollably because his heart has been wrenched from his chest? What about the little girl that is going from house to house with hand made flyers, looking for her best friend that disappeared?

And don't tell me that if the owner cared, the dog wouldn't have gone missing. I've had dogs disappear and I know there are reasons. Dogs wander, sometimes long distances, and get lost. Dogs are stolen. Dogs jump out of trucks. And sometimes they stay disappeared because someone with a good heart finds them and keeps them.

I've found dogs. Without exception... if I found the former owner the dog was ecstatic when they were reunited. And who am I to make that kind of judgement call, to keep an owned dog and take it away from it's owner, anyway?

I remember my first dog that disappeared. He was a hunting dog and I'm sure he was stolen, used, and abandoned. I got a call about a week later and collected him from the side of the road where he had been hit and killed. He could have been returned instead of abandoned. My phone number was on his collar. Somebody missed an opportunity to be kind.
So-this dog has been posted in lots of places, was not chipped, no collar, and had been in the area running for 3 days-this time happened to be trapped on the inside shoulder of a 6 lane highway. We could have left him there so his owners would find him, or could have surrendered an injured dog to an overfull shelter. I'm sure his owners would have come forward. If they do-great-he'll go home repaired. Until then, he has now been vaccinated and chipped, and will get his leg fixed at our expense.
Sorry for whoever lost him. Wish they would look a lot harder….
And-if I would have seen your post, I would have replied. I just happened to see it today.
You have made a really big mistaken assumption that we decided to keep him without making an effort to find the owner. How about reviewing how that process works most of the time…. I have found owners of dogs-usually because of some kind of identification or because they did due diligence to search public venues to look for them. The ones who have stayed are because no one ever stepped forward. Hell, when our dogs get out, the first thing I do is contact neighbors and post to lost and found sites.
Watch your accusations-they aren't justified.

Last edited:
So-this dog has been posted in lots of places, was not chipped, no collar, and had been in the area running for 3 days-this time happened to be trapped on the inside shoulder of a 6 lane highway. We could have left him there so his owners would find him, or could have surrendered an injured dog to an overfull shelter. I'm sure his owners would have come forward. If they do-great-he'll go home repaired. Until then, he has now been vaccinated and chipped, and will get his leg fixed at our expense.
Sorry for whoever lost him. Wish they would look a lot harder….
And-if I would have seen your post, I would have replied. I just happened to see it today.
You have made a really big mistaken assumption that we decided to keep him without making an effort to find the owner. How about reviewing how that process works most of the time…. I have found owners of dogs-usually because of some kind of identification or because they did due diligence to search public venues to look for them. The ones who have stayed are because no one ever stepped forward. Hell, when our dogs get out, the first thing I do is contact neighbors and post to lost and found sites.
Watch your accusations-they aren't justified.
I didn't accuse anyone. I gave an opinion about keeping dogs that are found. Thanks for both your efforts to the dog and for the further explanation... none of which was in your initial post.

There was another dog that was found and discussed on a different thread and as far as I could discern there was no effort to find the owners... and within a few months it sounded like the dog was abandoned again. And I've known people that found dogs and once found they made no efforts, so between my question not being answered and the post you made without details... and my experiences... I offered my opinion.

Whatever happens, I'm hoping for the best for both you and the dog. If that's what happens we'll all be happy...

I don't personally see much in the way of Pyr /Anatolian in the one.
I really have no idea Jan, it was just mentioned by someone "smarter" than I. His name is Waldo and he is a laid back friendly fella. I gave him away once on the condition he could be brought back. He roams a lot and the lady I gave him to has a neighbor threatened to shoot him so she got scared and returned him. About a week later one of my neighbors kid took a shot at him and creased his back side. It was a knarly looking wound but didn't seem to bother him any until I sprayed it with some iodine.
The kid got reprimanded and now knows he has a home with me.

I am not far from town so I have a replenishing supply of dumped animals and like Kristi Noem, I've shot one or two.