Red Angus Bull Calf & a few other pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
IMG_1636sm_zpsuxp393on.jpg

Quite impressed with this bull calf and thinking pretty hard about keeping him around to use ourselves. Born March 1, 83lb bw.

IMG_1638sm_zps4dhrwmx6.jpg

would like to clean up his underline a bit and give him a bit more length of body. Love his depth & thickness.

IMG_1709sm_zpsvgxlva2t.jpg

with his 4 yr old dam.

IMG_1624sm_zpst1z15a47.jpg

standing uphill here

IMG_1852sm_zpsbqn7ps93.jpg

Pretty sure I've posted some pics of this heifer calf before - a January 30th born BA heifer calf (with a bunch of extra white on her belly....grrrr).

IMG_1577sm_zpsgjetatvr.jpg

some RA bull calf butts. For whatever reason they were harassing that cow - the herd bull in the pasture wasn't interested in her and the cow wanted nothing to do with the little buggers either. Marked it down in case she had been cycling, but I bet they are just harassing her because they can...Interesting enough bull calves were harassing this same cow last year at about this time. I had marked it down thinking she would be late, but no she calved right at the beginning of April just like she was supposed to. See if it's the same this year I guess.

Very good pictures of nice cattle. I like Red Angus even though I mostly have Black Angus.

Nice cattle. Like your Red Angus. Have never seen any of those bloodlines around here. Like the rear pics

elkwc":36izy055 said:
Nice cattle. Like your Red Angus. Have never seen any of those bloodlines around here. Like the rear pics

Thanks elkwc. The Northern Samurai bull on the top side (paternal grandsire) was a pretty popular bull back in his day from what I gather. He was born in 1986 - a year before I was... We aren't much for picking animals based on numbers but even I'll say his EPD's are awful for BW & CE. It causes me a bit of concern with that red bull calf pictured above. He was born with a moderate bw, but his sire was a 97lb bw so it is lurking back there. His dam has a lot better pedigree for calving ease. Frame size might also be a concern, although this guy doesn't look like he's going to be too framey right now. As long as they come easy I don't care too much about the actual BW. Mostly we focus on raising easy calving heifer bulls to sell, but like to keep one herd bull around that has a little more power & bw for guys looking for cow bulls. I think this guy should fit the bill if he keeps developing the way he is. It's a long time between now and next spring though.

That's a really good bullcalf. The right type of muscle, masculine at an early age, will make a good weaner and that's the battle just about won.
If you cleaned the underline up, he wouldn't have been as soggy nor would he have had that long, high yielding muscle that is lost for most part in the British breeds. If you added more length of body he wouldn't have had the long hip and the balance he has now.

KNERSIE":177xmxko said:
That's a really good bullcalf. The right type of muscle, masculine at an early age, will make a good weaner and that's the battle just about won.
If you cleaned the underline up, he wouldn't have been as soggy nor would he have had that long, high yielding muscle that is lost for most part in the British breeds. If you added more length of body he wouldn't have had the long hip and the balance he has now.

Thank you Knersie. I really appreciate the comments, and definitely can see what you are saying. If you don't mind, could you describe a little more about what you mean when you say 'long, high yielding muscle'. I think I understand, but want to make sure. I've been told I have a pretty good eye when it comes to cattle, but it's still relatively new to me and I'm always trying to learn. I also know what I like when I see it, but usually lack the ability to put it into the proper words when trying to describe it to someone else. At this point I think even if he doesn't work out in our purebred herd, he could be useful on our commercial cows as a more terminal type bull.

creekdrive":2gimrznn said:
elkwc":2gimrznn said:

Thanks elkwc. The Northern Samurai bull on the top side (paternal grandsire) was a pretty popular bull back in his day from what I gather. He was born in 1986 - a year before I was... We aren't much for picking animals based on numbers but even I'll say his EPD's are awful for BW & CE. It causes me a bit of concern with that red bull calf pictured above. He was born with a moderate bw, but his sire was a 97lb bw so it is lurking back there. His dam has a lot better pedigree for calving ease. Frame size might also be a concern, although this guy doesn't look like he's going to be too framey right now. As long as they come easy I don't care too much about the actual BW. Mostly we focus on raising easy calving heifer bulls to sell, but like to keep one herd bull around that has a little more power & bw for guys looking for cow bulls. I think this guy should fit the bill if he keeps developing the way he is. It's a long time between now and next spring though.

I'm in the same boat with an Angus calf I have. He looks good. Is out of a very good daughter of War Party who has an excellent udder and has produced 3 nice calves so far. All in the 70 pound range. His sire is a top son of Hoover Dam. This calf looks good now and shows lots of growth. His sire was used on heifers with no issues although he doesn't show to be a heifer bull. The WP daughter doesn't show to be a heifer bull dam either but if he continues to develop like he has so far I will take a chance on him. He was the right type when born and weighed around 75 lbs. Her first two calves weighed 70 lbs exactly. But a lot can happen in the next ten months. I'm more tempted to take a chance on him as I know something about his dam and sire.

Latest posts