Red and Black Simmental cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

topsquar

Reaction score
hi,just some questions about Red and black simmentals, does this line of simmentals have a larger frame then the angus breed, are they better mucsled, and are they growing in popularity when compared to original fleckvieh cattle. ;-)

I don't know how to answer that. There is an extreme amount of diversity in Simmentals. They CAN be large framed and thick and they can be avg muscled and moderate framed. I don't think there is just one phenotype within the Simmental breed.

Because of the climatic differences within the US, there is an extremely variance in the size/shape of the American Simmental (reds & blacks). They have been bred to meet the nutritional requirments of the environment.
Across the board, the breed has moderated their size (like most breeds here in US have done).
On the NY bull test, here are the average frames & 365 day wts of the diff breeds:
Angus 5.8 (4.8 - 7.6) 1175#
Herefd 6.3 (5.2 - 7.4) 1129#
Red Ang 5.7 (5.1 - 6.6) 1118#
Shorthn 6.0 (5.0 - 6.7) 1042#
Charolais 6.5 (5.9 - 8) 1079#
Simmental 6.2 (5.5 - 6.6) 1217#
As you can see the Simmental are actually the most uniform frame size of all the breeds.

topsquar":20uszd06 said:
hi,just some questions about Red and black simmentals, does this line of simmentals have a larger frame then the angus breed, are they better mucsled, and are they growing in popularity when compared to original fleckvieh cattle. ;-)
Take a look at this site http://www.simmevalley.com/ There are some good examples of quality black Simmentals.

If you ask me simmys have gone a little to far in moderating thier frame. But if you want to put some butt on those calves and increase the milk go with the simmy. I say they should be around a 6.5 frame maybe a little more.

S.R.R.":1s3cgoen said:
topsquar":1s3cgoen said:
Take a look at this site http://www.simmevalley.com/ There are some good examples of quality black Simmentals.
:oops: Why, thank you.
As you can see with the above figures, all the breeds are pretty close in frame size, and the Simmental are carrying the heaviest yearling weight. They also had the highest overall gain & WPDA. So even tho we have reduced our frame, we are keeping our muscle & growth rate.