?? Reasonable $$ for sweep tub and alley panels ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I'm just so needy -- I always need feedback and input and info from the rest of you! :hide:

There will be an auction coming up soon with a used Sibley Industries/Wadler (Missouri) sweep tub and alley: 180 degree blind sweep, 11 foot gate, and 4 sets of blind panels that will make a 32-ft. curved alley. Have only seen pics, and it doesn't look crapped out.

What's it worth? / what would you pay?

I'm not sure about used ones but I thought I wanted one a while back until I figured out how much they are new . I think I'll make due with what I have . The new ones where well of 10 k

JSCATTLE":2xti5l83 said:
I'm not sure about used ones but I thought I wanted one a while back until I figured out how much they are new . I think I'll make due with what I have . The new ones where well of 10 k
No, I can't do new either . . . . hence: my question. :) Our "system" will be going in soon. Once it's in, it's going to be IN. This is the best time to incorporate a nice feature like that.

Angus Cowman":2hhqfpk3 said:
seen a nice set up for sale on Craigslist
it had a tub,alley,headgate, corral and sorting pens all for $8500 was a bargain IMO if a person needed one
This DOES NOT have all of that! Back to the question, please. :bang:

Kathie, I am not at all sure about how much percentage used should be from new but I would make a WAG of 1200_1800. I bought a new galvanized WW for about 3000 last year.

Kathie in Thorp":3sl9egzx said:
I'm just so needy -- I always need feedback and input and info from the rest of you! :hide:

There will be an auction coming up soon with a used Sibley Industries/Wadler (Missouri) sweep tub and alley: 180 degree blind sweep, 11 foot gate, and 4 sets of blind panels that will make a 32-ft. curved alley. Have only seen pics, and it doesn't look crapped out.

K.I.T. this might be of help. A Priefert system that is somewhat like what you are talking about would run anywhere from $5k to 7k new. http://www.priefert.com/ProductGroup/ca ... eeps-1538/

Depending on the condition of the system, gauge of the metal etc, you could start out at half the value or less and work from there.

Kathie in Thorp":13p93mve said:

No, you're not needy at all - you just need a strategy. What it is worth is what YOU are willing to pay for it - nothing more and nothing less.

There are many strategies and this is one that will work for you should you want to use it:

1. Call up the auctioneer, or the owner and get a list of EXACTLY what is going up in the auction.

2. Call the company that makes it and get a price on the equipment if it were new. I have looked
for them on the internet and cannot find them which makes me think I might not be interested in
owning this stuff - but that could be because I am in a third world and not geting the same search
you might be getting.

3. Decide how much you want to go towards new price and you have your plan of attack

It's not rocket science - but I have seen a lot of this stuff go for new prices due to auction fever.

Stick to your plan. It might go cheap and it might not.

Have fun

Bez

Kathie in Thorp":1yq6csqt said:
Angus Cowman":1yq6csqt said:
seen a nice set up for sale on Craigslist
it had a tub,alley,headgate, corral and sorting pens all for $8500 was a bargain IMO if a person needed one
This DOES NOT have all of that! Back to the question, please. :bang:
excuse the f#### out of me
I was telling what I seen a complete set up for sale for

If you really WANT to know what it is worth, IT IS WORTH WHATEVER YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE is willing to pay for it
if it is at an auction it willl probably bring new price or more because people get bid crazy at auctions
the best thing to do is to price a new one and then see what kind of shape this one is in and use your own judgenment
To me it wouldn't be worth much becuase I can build a better one for less than I can buy one for someone else it might be worth alot

Lots of things will work but once handled cattle with a sweep tub it's hard to go back to anything else. Its a lot more efficient and safer for both the handler and the cattle. I don't have the setup yet but have used them and it will sure be part of my own setup in the future.

James T":1q381k64 said:
Lots of things will work but once handled cattle with a sweep tub it's hard to go back to anything else. Its a lot more efficient and safer for both the handler and the cattle. I don't have the setup yet but have used them and it will sure be part of my own setup in the future.
Still little more than a crowd gate that keeps sweeping them down the chute to the squeeze chute or head gate. I could never justify paying that kind of money.

There's been a lot of discussion about different brands of crowding tubs at another site I visit. A guy that was looking for one just bought a new Parasol for $7K. That seems like a good price. I think a Stur-D is in the $10K range now.

I only have experience with Stur-D and their unit seems to be a well constructed, well thought out piece of equipment. A local business rents the tub out on a daily basis. I help a half dozen neighbors and we use the same tub at each place.

One of my brothers has a place near the auction site, and spends quite a bit of time down there. I'm going to see if he can take a look at it, as far as condition. He doesn't know squat about cattle, but he paid for his mechanical engineering degree working as a machinist for many years, so he knows metal and parts. The auction outfit does do proxy bidding, so I could probably bid it from long-distance. I'm hoping $1,200 - $1,400 (or less, of course).

I don't know anything about the manufacturer of the set you're looking at but I've been around high quality and low quality tubs. The Powder rivers are expensive and worth it and some of the other stuff isn't worth it even if it's free.

Dun, or someone that can help me with pics if I PM them -- can you post them? Have 3 pics of this set-up. Did some web research, the original company is now melded into a new one, which doesn't seem to mfg this type of equipment now. I've emailed new company to see if they can tell me when the last of these would have been built, to get a clue about the age. It looks PR green -- but it ain't PR.

Wadler was sold in Missouri thru MFA stores and they were decent products not top end but not low end either
I had a couple of wadler chutes even converted one to hydraulics and it is still being used today with several hundred head going thru it several times a yr
I have seen there tubs but it has been several yrs ago
I don't remember anything that stands out about them good or bad
i would say if it is in good shape it could bring in the $2k range

Angus Cowman":33etrib3 said:
Wadler was sold in Missouri thru MFA stores and they were decent products not top end but not low end either
I had a couple of wadler chutes even converted one to hydraulics and it is still being used today with several hundred head going thru it several times a yr
I have seen there tubs but it has been several yrs ago
I don't remember anything that stands out about them good or bad
i would say if it is in good shape it could bring in the $2k range
AC -- Any idea on the age? -- when were they last being sold? Thx.