Real Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
Doc brought up an interesting topic for discussion. Who are the real breeders in each breed. I am talking about long term programs that have a plan and a vision. Second question who will the next batch of true breeders be.

I will start

Angus

Stevenson Basin
Gardiners
Sitz
Wehrman
Sydenstricker
Shosone

Hereford

Remitall (maybe gone soon)
Cooper
Holden

Now each of these programs are different some very different. But they all seem to take care of their core customers which is why they have all been in business for a long time. Now who will still be around 20 years from now??

I doubt there will be much of a selection of large Hereford people in Canada once Remitall gets out of business (if they do). The latest numbers of Hereford breeders in Canada is about 1105. That is down from about 1600 in 2000 and almost 5000 in the 1980's. :cowboy:

There are a lot of smaller breeders out there that I would consider real breeders. Maybe they are not the name brand or the current trend but in a lot of ways they are often the better choice.

Does anyone else think this thread is a little borderline? :? There are alot of good people in the cattle business and I'm not so sure I like the idea of grouping "real" from the "unreal", the "good" from the "bad". If you have your own opinions that's great, but I could just see this post changing from opinion to slander real quick. JMO.

Now who will still be around 20 years from now??

If somebody asked you last year at this time what you think the chances of Remitall, Deiter, and Camp Cooley having dispersal sales in 2008 what would your answer have been?

Didnt expect any one to slander any program. The whole point was to try and open people's eyes to the fact that there are programs out there that breed their own cattle with depth to the pedigree, not one or zero generations like Ranch XYZ. While the programs I listed are vastly different, Shosone vs Gardiner for instance, they have found something that makes them successful. The all have enough of a customer base, wether it be locally,regionally, or nationally to pay the bills. I just thought it would be interesting to see everyones opinion on what THEY thought were GOOD programs not BAD ones.

Novatech,
I would love to hear your opinion on smaller breeders that you think are doing it right.. They also deserve the attention.

CPL":1p60xewb said:
Does anyone else think this thread is a little borderline? :? There are alot of good people in the cattle business and I'm not so sure I like the idea of grouping "real" from the "unreal", the "good" from the "bad". If you have your own opinions that's great, but I could just see this post changing from opinion to slander real quick. JMO.
how did you arive at that?

CPL":24794qxl said:

The same category as hobby farmer, etc. We all know what opinions are like!

Any opinions on Candy Meadows farm in Tenn.? They raise both Angus and Herefords. Anyone been to their sales or have any of their animals?

We have two animals from Candy Meadow, a Hereford bull and an Angus 2 yr old. I absolutely love the bull. I think he will do a wonderful job for us. We turned him out March 2007 when we got him to clean up a bunch of cows that had been with a bull for over 60 days, so we only had 1 calf from him last year but he ratioed higher than anything else in the pasture at weaning this June.

The Angus female did an ok job with her first calf and I think she will be fine in the long run.. From what my dad tells me Rob Helms and his crew are wonderful people as well. I am sure you could do alot worse than Candy Meadow.

Rob actually married my cousin a number of years ago so I've had a few conversations about cattle with him at family weddings and stuff this year. I don't really know too much about his operation though.

There are different levels of breeders, each important as the other, the nucleus breeders who have access to a wide enough genetic base to constantly improve the herd through selection within the herd or herds available. Multipliers depend on buying in genetics from the nucleus herds to improve the quality of their herds, from here commercial purebred breeders and producers of F1 heifers will source from either of the above. Some breeders are well known, others, with equal quality of stock, are more local, but no less important in the breeding of improved cattle. Regional differences also dictate what defines 'quality' as required by the local climatic conditions.

jscunn":1rflck2a said:
Doc brought up an interesting topic for discussion. Who are the real breeders in each breed. I am talking about long term programs that have a plan and a vision. Second question who will the next batch of true breeders be.

I will start

Angus

Stevenson Basin
Gardiners
Sitz
Wehrman
Sydenstricker
Shosone

Hereford

Remitall (maybe gone soon)
Cooper
Holden

Now each of these programs are different some very different. But they all seem to take care of their core customers which is why they have all been in business for a long time. Now who will still be around 20 years from now??

I find it interesting that the 3 Hereford breeders that you mention are all linebreeders. I know nothing about the Angus breeders, but would bet that some of them fall into that realm as well.

The next batch of "true" breeders? Probably the breeders that, as you say, have vision and a plan for what the market is going to need in the future - and has the fortitude to select and LINEBREED those traits into their herds.

George

I think there are a lot more good ones than you might think. Triple L and Candy Meadow used to have their sales together. LLL seems to be a good program, and Steven Lee has been very courteous and helpful in several conversations I've had with him.

My favorites are:

Day Herefords
Flying G Ranch

I like what I've seen about M-M Ranch, Chanute, Kansas.

I think we should respect the work of Jim Lents.

I think that Triple L is going to black baldie production.. using Candy Meadow bulls probably. I swear I read that somewhere. I posted my thoughts on Candy Meadow, I didnt think anyone would recognize the name if I put them on my list. Another hereford outfit that I was impressed with was JWR, I truly hope that they continue without Wesley. Tom Boatman is a sharp guy.

LLL is selling all of their cows with calves at side that are between 2or3 and 6 or 7, don't remember the exact ages. This is due to losing some of their hay and pasture leases. But the catalog didn't say anything about getting out of the Hereford business altogether.

Angus

LaGrand
Frey
Vollmer
Schaff
Myers

Hereford
Rockman
Carter

Char.

Miller
Holen
Bina

Chi

Schafer

Just my opinion.

I would not dare type an opinion here because I know there are a great number of high quality breeders out there that don't advertise in the national publications and that I have never heard of.

Don't confuse quality promotion and marketing with quality cattle.

Not critizicing any of the operations named and I have used semen from angus bulls from several of them. Just offering that I would not limit myself with a narrow list.

the strength of the angus breed is the wide genetic base and the diversity of the breeders and the diversity of the envionments that the cattle are raised in and the ability to perform in all these environments.

Latest posts