Angus breeders...For what it's worth....

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
This post may be of more interest to registered Angus breeders than other folks. Even with that said, I would definitely use Elation on other breeds.

According to Angus Assoc today, this is the FIRST SAV Elation daughter in the world that is Angus GS tested and parentage proven. If you go to AAA and look at SAV Elation 7899, you will see that he has 1 genomic progeny.

Link is here:

http://bit.ly/2F7p5nd

Then go and look at our Miss Burgess daughter, link is here

http://bit.ly/2HnQNQf

Unlike the recent university scandal, there were no special favors here. I called the super nice folks at Square B Ranch, told them I wanted Elation semen, and they got right on it. That was the first time I ever spoke with them. They went out of their way to help me, a NOBODY, according to some in the Angus business (NE...). This proves initiative still has a place in the world, even though it seems like it doesn't.

Anyway, Elation is the real deal, and I would highly recommend him. The calves look great, we have two daughters right now with more calves on the way. The 2nd daughter has her DNA already sent away this week.

Here are photos and a Youtube video.

[image]225[/image]

[image]226[/image]

Video link:

http://bit.ly/2TFWPlX

No offense, but how do you know Elation is the "real deal", and would "work well on other breeds" when he is unproven at 38%acc, and only has 1 calf?

************* said:
This post may be of more interest to registered Angus breeders than other folks. Even with that said, I would definitely use Elation on other breeds.

According to Angus Assoc today, this is the FIRST SAV Elation daughter in the world that is Angus GS tested and parentage proven. If you go to AAA and look at SAV Elation 7899, you will see that he has 1 genomic progeny.

Link is here:

http://bit.ly/2F7p5nd

Then go and look at our Miss Burgess daughter, link is here

http://bit.ly/2HnQNQf

Unlike the recent university scandal, there were no special favors here. I called the super nice folks at Square B Ranch, told them I wanted Elation semen, and they got right on it. That was the first time I ever spoke with them. They went out of their way to help me, a NOBODY, according to some in the Angus business (NE...). This proves initiative still has a place in the world, even though it seems like it doesn't.

Anyway, Elation is the real deal, and I would highly recommend him. The calves look great, we have two daughters right now with more calves on the way. The 2nd daughter has her DNA already sent away this week.

Here are photos and a Youtube video.

[image]225[/image]

[image]226[/image]

Video link:

http://bit.ly/2TFWPlX

The video is cool. Congratulations

sim.-ang.king said:
No offense, but how do you know Elation is the "real deal", and would "work well on other breeds" when he is unproven at 38%acc, and only has 1 calf?

I know quite a bit about the dam the calf is from and her dam, and the dam before.

I feel pretty darn good about what is in the pedigree of Elation.

I have a recent calf out of our herd sire, which you have probably seen on here before. When those two calves are near each other, there is no comparison. It's night and day.

Elation is the real deal, and I'm going to stick to my guns on that one.

I respect your opinion however.

What happens when this calf is subpar, as in she comes up small or just isn't one you'd own? She's already registered with the big genomic panel done up, but what if she falls flat on her face in the next 6-8 months?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
For a guy who won't reveal his age for fear of hackers and identity thieves you certainly put out a ton of otherwise private information on yourself.

Nice calf.

Thanks

Bestoutwest said:
What happens when this calf is subpar, as in she comes up small or just isn't one you'd own? She's already registered with the big genomic panel done up, but what if she falls flat on her face in the next 6-8 months?

I start over and try again.

As they say, there are no sure things in life except, death, taxes, and people who will always say "What if it fails"

I don't think in the terms of failure. I'm generally a very optimistic person. If something turns out poorly on our operation we just look at it as a learning experience and move on, nothing else to do.

There is something to be said about using EXT influenced sires on more modern genetics. We have used this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sxUxFcCqss from http://origenbeef.org/semen_detail.php?bull=519 and have liked the results so far. Even though they are too young to make a qualified decision on them. I'm heading over to Crouthamel's sale on Monday to check out some of the progeny of V910. I am pretty set on using him again, not this year, but next.

EXT, 707, 598, Righttime, EXT, XXP. Not a lot new there. At least you have proven ancestors to let you know what you might expect except for the huge differences in sire and dam on MM.

Ebenezer said:
EXT, 707, 598, Righttime, EXT, XXP. Not a lot new there. At least you have proven ancestors to let you know what you might expect except for the huge differences in sire and dam on MM.

I missed you, where have you been?

CreekAngus said:
There is something to be said about using EXT influenced sires on more modern genetics. We have used this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sxUxFcCqss from http://origenbeef.org/semen_detail.php?bull=519 and have liked the results so far. Even though they are too young to make a qualified decision on them. I'm heading over to Crouthamel's sale on Monday to check out some of the progeny of V910. I am pretty set on using him again, not this year, but next.

I like him

Nice chunky little calf BH. I can't see what you are referring to with the EPD's/Genomics. Nothing with the EPD's that actually blow me away.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Nice chunky little calf BH. I can't see what you are referring to with the EPD's/Genomics. Nothing with the EPD's that actually blow me away.

Ken

I wanted the pedigree

Had I been going strictly for EPD's I would have bred to SydGen Enhance or Byergo Titus, there are others but those two come to mind.

I may breed her in time to Byergo Black Magic using sexed semen, that would most certainly raise those epds quickly in the progeny.

nice calf!!
im with you on the pedigree!!
how about Extension? he would have the grandmammy of the world famous America or do you like the 7075 on the bottom better than 004? and why?
i know you said your a risk taker, theres no way id breed a heifer that i thought anything of(all of mine)to Black Magic sexed or not!!!

************* said:
Ebenezer said:

I missed you, where have you been?

And you never sent a greeting card to say that you cared! :cry2: I've been out in the tall grass trying to find the Angus cattle with low EPDs, old genetics and less sale's promotion. :roll:

bse said:
nice calf!!
how about Extension? he would have the grandmammy of the world famous America or do you like the 7075 on the bottom better than 004? and why?
i know you said your a risk taker, theres no way id breed a heifer that i thought anything of(all of mine)to Black Magic sexed or not!!!

Thank you.

I have not used Extension, I chose Raindance instead for my go to sexed semen bull, but Extension looks to me like he would add length, I certainly don't see any issues with using him.

If I were to make a choice between the two bulls, I would go with the 7075.

Why? I don't have a concrete reason as to why one is better than the other, I just prefer the 7075 bull. I think he is superior to the 004 bull.

As for Black Magic, my heifers usually are bred at around 14-15 months of age, if you figure that 9 months past that they are almost 2 years old, and you figure that at 2 years old most of my heifers are in the 1300-1500 pound range, he wouldn't pose any problems for them.

I'm using Elation on heifers, same with President, and not having any issues.

I probably would not put Harvestor or International on heifers however, they most likely could handle it, but the calves out of those sires can be pretty substantial in my experience.

************* said:
bse said:
nice calf!!

Thank you.

I have not used Extension, I chose Raindance instead for my go to sexed semen bull, but Extension looks to me like he would add length, I certainly don't see any issues with using him.

If I were to make a choice between the two bulls, I would go with the 7075.

Why? I don't have a concrete reason as to why one is better than the other, I just prefer the 7075 bull. I think he is superior to the 004 bull.

As for Black Magic, my heifers usually are bred at around 14-15 months of age, if you figure that 9 months past that they are almost 2 years old, and you figure that at 2 years old most of my heifers are in the 1300-1500 pound range, he wouldn't pose any problems for them.

I'm using Elation on heifers, same with President, and not having any issues.

I probably would not put Harvestor or International on heifers however, they most likely could handle it, but the calves out of those sires can be pretty substantial in my experience.

I like XXP, the only difference in Elation and Extension is the maternal sire, only time will tell on them or any bull.
If I could pick a straw 004, or 7075 it would also be 7075. I'd think a little more maternal there, and I know value in the right circles.

I saw 004 at stud back in 2009 he was 9 years old at the time and looked like a 5 year old bull. I used him but his progeny were pretty snorty. So really like the bull didn't like the disposition. Congrats on the calf BR you can't go wrong with that pedigree. I have used Extension really like him.

Gizmom

Latest posts