Any Gelbvieh Breeders In Here?

Help Support CattleToday:

KRCattle

Reaction score
Looking to see what everyones favorite Gelbvieh cow or cow families are? Thinking about dipping into some registered cattle.

Good looking bull.
This will be my my newest herd sire out of Judd Ranch.
How did you go about getting into registered cattle. What programs did you like the most?

Attachments

• A0BA9983-2EFA-4A92-AEC4-B13C8E87618E.jpeg
    A0BA9983-2EFA-4A92-AEC4-B13C8E87618E.jpeg
    668.3 KB · Views: 17
Bought two Gelbvieh cows from the Kittle farms program and grew from there!

I've had cattle from Judd, Post Rock, J&K Gelbvieh, Knoll Crest and TJB Gelbvieh. There are good and bad in all breeds of cattle, just select for cattle that fit your environment. Watch the milk, unless you feed hard. Look at Cedar Top, and TJB Gelbvieh, if you haven't already.

Not sure about your location but I have been dealing with Gustin Diamond D Gelbvieh for many years and think they have probably the best Gelbvieh cattle in North Dakota. They are also great people to deal with.

Bought two Gelbvieh cows from the Kittle farms program and grew from there!

I've had cattle from Judd, Post Rock, J&K Gelbvieh, Knoll Crest and TJB Gelbvieh. There are good and bad in all breeds of cattle, just select for cattle that fit your environment. Watch the milk, unless you feed hard. Look at Cedar Top, and TJB Gelbvieh, if you haven't already.
Milk drop off bad if not feed supplementing?

Looking to see what everyones favorite Gelbvieh cow or cow families are? Thinking about dipping into some registered cattle.
Been using Gelbvieh commercially in cow herd for 20 years. I only use proven bulls so not in The know for hot new registered. Judd Ranch Free Agent bull made exceptional, smaller framed cows. Did not like his son Top Secret near as much, although JR really, really liked him. If you care Freedom line not great grid numbers. More recent got really nice heifers/cows out of Black Impact son owned by Kittle Farms (bred by Doug Hughes). Depends on what your looking for but I don't like heavy milker. Talk with Bull Barn guys, Cedar Top Ranch, as I have found them to be honest. I called them set on one of their bulls, but after Discussing my needs they pushed me to some semen of other breeders. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again. Lots of good Gelbvieh people out there. Good luck.

From our experience I would watch the docility.
We have been raising registered Gelbviehs since 1996. Though there is the occasional knot-head, overall the Gelbvieh breed is more docile that many other popular breeds.

We have been raising registered Gelbviehs since 1996. Though there is the occasional knot-head, overall the Gelbvieh breed is more docile that many other popular breeds.

I base my opinion on our own experience in our herd. Our herd is very docile and we handle them slow and easy. We had to cut about 1/3 of our heifers for docility issues. And we still see it pop up in the progeny of his daughters. I posted about it after the issue became evident. A few Gelbvieh breeders told me there is docility in certain bloodlines including those of the herd of his sire. We had enough issues I doubt we will ever use Gelbviehs again. Had calves that when I fed in troughs everyday would run out a ways and wait for me to leave. They were that way until I sold them. Hard to pen. They were abnormal for our herd. We have calves in every group I can scratch. Our vets say they are the most docile cattle they handle. And when we sold the bull we only had issues in progeny of his daughters. So no doubt the source of the issue. You are entitled your opinion but that doesn't change the fact we had issues.

Also he wouldn't stay home. He tore fences down. Can list more issues if you want.

Latest posts