reading EPD's for black angus

Help Support CattleToday:

row4wsu

Reaction score
Hi all -- I have a question about EPD's. I have been around the dairy industry for a while and know the ins and outs of their EPD's. However, my husband and I are branching out beyond my parents and starting an Angus herd. I am looking for our first angus cow or heifer (hopefully bred) and am wondering how I should read the EPD's for them. does it matter? and if they are bred how do I figure out if the person bred them to a decent bull based on his EPDs?

Does this make sense?

I have looked on the internet but havne't really found anything that I feel comfortable with.
I really appreciate the help as we are wanting to get a great cow or heifer to start off on the right foot.. thanks

row4wsu":1wkx9y1j said:
Hi all -- I have a question about EPD's. I have been around the dairy industry for a while and know the ins and outs of their EPD's. However, my husband and I are branching out beyond my parents and starting an Angus herd. I am looking for our first angus cow or heifer (hopefully bred) and am wondering how I should read the EPD's for them. does it matter? and if they are bred how do I figure out if the person bred them to a decent bull based on his EPDs?

Does this make sense?

I have looked on the internet but havne't really found anything that I feel comfortable with.
I really appreciate the help as we are wanting to get a great cow or heifer to start off on the right foot.. thanks

Welcome to the Angus business. We're always glad to have another breeder. :)

As pdfangus said, there's a ton of information available at the Angus site. The Sire Evaluation report has an explantion for the various EPDs, how they're figured, etc. But I always order a paper copy of the Sire Evaluation Report. For some reason (age maybe?) I seem to retain info better reading from a printed copy than from the computer screen. Plus, they're handy to carry around to sales and check out the bull the cow you're interested in buying is bred to.

Here's a link to average EPDs for Angus cattle this spring. You can that as the base for selecting cattle for your herd. You probably don't want to raise "average" cattle. If you'll be selling bulls to commercial cattlemen, look at WW and YW EPDs. Do you have the forage to support high milking cows? Look at the Milk EPD. Go to some sales, talk to consignors and buyers. See what traits, bloodlines, are important to the people you expect to be selling cattle to.

Now that's all from a performance Angus standpoint. If you're going in to the show heifer business, I don't have a clue. :oops: Good luck.....

Link to average EPDs:
http://www.angus.org/sireeval/breed_avg_epd.html

Another link to EPD info:

http://www.angus.org/performance/index.html

There is alot of variation in the angus breed and the more homework you do before buying your first cows may save you some time later.There is not a good or bad epd you have to decide how much of a cow your operation can handle and base epd's off that.You don't drive a Kenworth out for dinner and you don't move a bull dozer with a honda.

The biggest numbered cattle may not be the best cows to build a cow herd with. The most functional cattle may not have the biggest page in the angus journal.

There are good performance breeders as well,but I would not buy cows from a operation that didn't at least breed some of there cows to bulls they breed.

What part of the country are you in? When I got into the business of registered cows. I bought from two farms only. I could go see their cows, pick the owners for information and knowledge. EPDs are nice and a guide, but I would suggest buying by type. Buy cattle that look like what you want your herd to be. I am partial to a 6 frame cow that is almost as wide as tall. My opinion is; that people are just pushing EPDs and not producing good quality cattle. Too many fine boned, funnel butt, holstein looking cows and bulls. I do use EPDs as a guide. I'm not going to buy a cow or use a bull who's numbers are horrible. At the same time, if I like a cows look and her lineage. I will accept a high 20's WW. The bulls I choose to AI with are no less than a 40 on WW. The reason I ask about what part of the country your in. Is maybe someone can suggest a ranch to see. Most of the folks in this business are incredible. It doesn't matter how big or small. You can go to SAV, Woodhill and small farms and they will show you cows and bulls till you puke. They will talk with you and answer questions. If you buy cows you like and fit your ideals. You can tailor their EPDs, by making good decisions with the bulls you use. :welcome:

Thanks so much for all of the info --- that is what i needed to hear -- it gives me an idea of where to start. I am in Graham, WA by the way -- we actually have some cows at a dairy down in Chehalis and we show at the fair there.

I'll bet I would know the people that have your cows down here. I have family that dairies in the area and I have a couple of friends who own dairies. On March 9th the Western Angus Association is having a sale at the Mt. Vernon fair grounds. You can meet some folks and talk cows. I will be there. Dont be bidding me up on Thomas Lucy. In our area I would look up Munks Angus and Circle B. I am not real partial to the cattle here on the coast. I like my cows thick and not from the same lines as everyone else. Rathbun Angus is great. Good cows and great bulls. They stay away from New Design and Precision. They don't chase EPDs. Greg will take you out to look at the herd (400 head). He has such a great mind for cattle, great wisdom and insight. He has an annual sale in November. Apple Tree Farms puts together some nice cattle as well. In October the Washington AA has a sale in Pasco. Nice selection of cattle and sellers are easy to access. PM me. If your down here you can look at my pathetic group. :banana:

Latest posts