Re-dose with LA for pinkeye?

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Got 4 yearlings with presumed pinkeye. Very drippy, some worse than others. Came on suddenly (and soon after their pinkeye vaccines). Flies weren't bad when they first got it, but their eyes weren't getting better so we got them in the chute 2 days ago and gave them shots of LA (and Pen squirt into eye).

Should they be looking better yet? As of last night they were not, but it had only been 24 hrs. If they are still bad tonight/tomorrow, should we re-dose?
Thanks!

LA 300 sticks around at least 5 days. I would wait. Going through the same issue. Treated 3. Only one was clearly pinkeye. I have seen substantial improvement. Been 3 days.

If no improvement in 3 days. I would retreat or look for a different cause.

I'm not positive if this is what you mean by "very drippy", but I've had a couple that seemed to have some sort of allergies. During this time of year specifically, they would usually have a wet streak down their face. It never developed into anything, just watery eyes.

Can you continue to spray with something like Vetrycin? Doesn't have to be in the chute, just a couple good blasts while they're eating, especially if they're hand feeders (they're not expecting it, generally works). If they're just drippy and no signs of ulcers, I agree it's probably allergies but we get problems with watery eyes when it's real dusty and windy. I've never had a case of Pinkeye (or any eye abrasion) that didn't clear up with one dose of LA300 & Vetrycin (we do vaccinate, don't know if that makes a difference in the healing process).

Were they bought or raised? You could have a case of IBR.Ulcer will be different but will mimic pinkeye.Some vaccines don't protect against as many strains of pinkeye as others.

Best results that I've had is 2cc injection of nuflor in the inside of their eyelid (1cc in upper; 1cc in lower) make sure your head gate is equipped with a head table or tie their head down really well. Clears pinkeye up like magic.

Last year was crap for pink eye gave la 200 and cut a pair if old jeans up for an eye patch's and glued it on, tractor supply sells a patch kit if you want to spend that kinda money. also put some fly spray around the other eye to keep the flys away and a feed thru to cut down on fly population. the patch will fall or be rubbed off is a few days. cant remember exact dosage 1cc per 100 weight and a small squirt to the eye, no needle near the eye stings like hell worked well ,didn't have to re treat. did 12 cows that way. you have to control the flys or it will spread like wild fire.

5DFARMS":836ejtzu said:
Last year was crap for pink eye gave la 200 and cut a pair if old jeans up for an eye patch's and glued it on, tractor supply sells a patch kit if you want to spend that kinda money. also put some fly spray around the other eye to keep the flys away and a feed thru to cut down on fly population. the patch will fall or be rubbed off is a few days. cant remember exact dosage 1cc per 100 weight and a small squirt to the eye, no needle near the eye stings like be nice worked well ,didn't have to re treat. did 12 cows that way. you have to control the flys or it will spread like wild fire.

That was the weird thing with this particular go-round: flies were extremely minimal. (We are still getting nights in the 30s and only recent have hit into the 60s off and on). I think it was a combination of having just been weaned, plus a lot of wind and hay dust, made them susceptible to it.
In response to one of the questions above, these are yearlings we raise. We have a closed herd and they are all vaccinated per vet, including for pinkeye. I guess we'll keep doing the pinkeye vaccines but I do have to say, it's not a miracle drug.

I don't know whether you have been using the correct dose of LA200. We have 2 dose rates, the higher dose of 1ml per 10kg or 22lb for you guys is the only dose rate that you can expect to get a therapeutic level lasting the 5 days so for a 1320lb cow she would get 60mls with no more than 15mls in one spot. I mostly use Orbenin eye ointment or mastitis cream and get good results, if I do use LA200 I will always use the high dose and get good results as well.

Ken

wbvs58":33remau9 said:
I don't know whether you have been using the correct dose of LA200. We have 2 dose rates, the higher dose of 1ml per 10kg or 22lb for you guys is the only dose rate that you can expect to get a therapeutic level lasting the 5 days so for a 1320lb cow she would get 60mls with no more than 15mls in one spot. I mostly use Orbenin eye ointment or mastitis cream and get good results, if I do use LA200 I will always use the high dose and get good results as well.

Ken

Ken. Using LA 300, the effective dose for an 1100 pound cow is 33 mL. LA 300 allows a lower dosage than LA 200. It is about 1mL per 34 pounds of body weight. Also, says not to inject more than 10 mL per injection site.

OK thanks Ron, not real familiar with your products of course I just got off my rear end and picked up my product and checked the label for our product LA 300 (300mg/ml of oxytet) and the standard dose is 1 ml/15 kg (33lb) and give levels for 3-4 days but at 1 ml/10 kg (22lb) you get the levels for 5-6 days. You are right Ron 10 ml is the max recommended in 1 sight, thanks for correcting that. I regularly get away with 12.5 ml at each sight as I cram 25 ml into a 20 ml syringe and give half at each sight before reloading. But you do need the higher level to get the long duration.

Ken

My vet came out to do some pinkeye that I couldn't touch with LA200. He said there's a new strain that's resistant to existing antibiotics - go figure. Said the only thing that would work with Draxxin. That did the trick. Hope that's the end of it though - Draxxin is more expensive than hay!

wbvs58":3w1woh5v said:
OK thanks Ron, not real familiar with your products of course I just got off my rear end and picked up my producto and checked the label for our product LA 300 (300mg/ml of oxytet) and the standard dose is 1 ml/15 kg (33lb) and give levels for 3-4 days but at 1 ml/10 kg (22lb) you get the levels for 5-6 days. You are right Ron 10 ml is the max recommended in 1 sight, thanks for correcting that. I regularly get away with 12.5 ml at each sight as I cram 25 ml into a 20 ml syringe and give half at each sight before reloading. But you do need the higher level to get the long duration.

Ken

Ken
If I am administering a dose of 36 mL, I will break it up into three doses given in 3 locations of 12 mL each. So I do the same thing you do.

Angus9259
I have been getting good responses using 1 mL per 33 pounds. Given the expense of Draxxin, I will continue using LA 300. We have aggressive strains of Moraxella and a culture performed on a pinkeye case I had two years ago showed my cow had one of the aggressive strains. It still responded to LA 300.

inyati13":jj8mamma said:
wbvs58":jj8mamma said:
OK thanks Ron, not real familiar with your products of course I just got off my rear end and picked up my producto and checked the label for our product LA 300 (300mg/ml of oxytet) and the standard dose is 1 ml/15 kg (33lb) and give levels for 3-4 days but at 1 ml/10 kg (22lb) you get the levels for 5-6 days. You are right Ron 10 ml is the max recommended in 1 sight, thanks for correcting that. I regularly get away with 12.5 ml at each sight as I cram 25 ml into a 20 ml syringe and give half at each sight before reloading. But you do need the higher level to get the long duration.

Ken

Ken
If I am administering a dose of 36 mL, I will break it up into three doses given in 3 locations of 12 mL each. So I do the same thing you do.

Angus9259
I have been getting good responses using 1 mL per 33 pounds. Given the expense of Draxxin, I will continue using LA 300. We have aggressive strains of Moraxella and a culture performed on a pinkeye case I had two years ago showed my cow had one of the aggressive strains. It still responded to LA 300.

Ron mostly I will just use the topical mastitis type prep. We have one here that says it is an eye ointment but still comes in a mastitis tube called Orbenin and it contains Cloxacillin. I usually just give the one application and will see an improvement overnight. Our strains may not have the degree of resistance as yours but I think it would be worth a try even in combination with the LA or whatever.

Just back on the LA 300 Ron, I know you are fastidious with what you do and dose rates but the reason I brought it up I have the feeling that a lot of people will just give a 20 ml syringe full to a large cow or bull even which is way under the correct dose rate and expect it to work. It even encourages bacterial resistance to the drug. I have seen the underdosing prevalent here, they know a cow gets a syringefull of penicillin so do the same with the oxytet.

Ken

wbvs58":3cgqzmci said:
inyati13":3cgqzmci said:
wbvs58":3cgqzmci said:

Ken

Ken

Angus9259

Ron mostly I will just use the topical mastitis type prep. We have one here that says it is an eye ointment but still comes in a mastitis tube called Orbenin and it contains Cloxacillin. I usually just give the one application and will see an improvement overnight. Our strains may not have the degree of resistance as yours but I think it would be worth a try even in combination with the LA or whatever.

Just back on the LA 300 Ron, I know you are fastidious with what you do and dose rates but the reason I brought it up I have the feeling that a lot of people will just give a 20 ml syringe full to a large cow or bull even which is way under the correct dose rate and expect it to work. It even encourages bacterial resistance to the drug. I have seen the underdosing prevalent here, they know a cow gets a syringefull of penicillin so do the same with the oxytet.

Ken

I agree. I have used as many as six injection sites to administer an effective dose for a large cow. It takes a large doses to be effective. Under-dosing is a waste of effort.

I'm really surprised that you have pink eye problems Ron. You seem to keep up with your cows and have a good mineral program. You have me thinking that maybe it's the breed of cows or could be you imported it from MO?

True Grit, I have no problems with pink eye out here in MO. In the years I have been in cattle, I have only had two cases of pink eye I treated.... We use IGR in our mineral, along with CTC.

True Grit Farms":2adi4wp5 said:
I'm really surprised that you have pink eye problems Ron. You seem to keep up with your cows and have a good mineral program. You have me thinking that maybe it's the breed of cows or could be you imported it from MO?

TGF. I use Vitaferm Concept-Aide. My cows are healthy, I control flies, etc. Regardless, pinkeye has been a problem for a couple of years in this area. Dr Stanfield has been doing cultures. Several aggressive strains have been revealed. Two years ago, I had 4 cases. Last year none. I have treated 3 cases this year. Only one was clearly pinkeye. I have no data to address whether it was introduced from Missouri.

To my knowledge, Dr Stanfield has not traced the pinkeye issue to a breed. It seems to affect all cattle regardless of breed or breeding.

Getting back to the dosage questions, I always dose per the bottle (or per vet), and break up into no more than 10ml/site. We have (so far) never needed anything beyond some LA or Pen G for (and that was for pinkeye). I know we will get "hit" at some point but have been very lucky to have gone 5 years (ie, since we started) with no real serious cattle health or birthing issues. Now I'm sure I have hexed myself!

Eyes looking much much better this weekend, knock wood. One of them (a steer) I think is just a chronic weeper--always has just a bit of water flowing from one eye but isn't cloudy or anything. Just keeping an eye (ha) on it...

boondocks":3fzr0zu8 said:
Getting back to the dosage questions, I always dose per the bottle (or per vet), and break up into no more than 10ml/site. We have (so far) never needed anything beyond some LA or Pen G for (and that was for pinkeye). I know we will get "hit" at some point but have been very lucky to have gone 5 years (ie, since we started) with no real serious cattle health or birthing issues. Now I'm sure I have hexed myself!

Eyes looking much much better this weekend, knock wood. One of them (a steer) I think is just a chronic weeper--always has just a bit of water flowing from one eye but isn't cloudy or anything. Just keeping an eye (ha) on it...

Chronic weeper: in the early stages, it may be difficult to distinguish between pinkeye, chronic weeper or allergy. I have treated three head this year with LA 300. In my opinion, only one was pinkeye. But if I see a cow with a weeping eye, I will usually treat it for pinkeye rather than take the risk. I admit, I may be erroring on the side of being too proactive.

Latest posts