Raw Milk ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
How many of you live in a state where it's legal to sell raw milk from your farm?
Has the selling of raw milk from your farm helped you financially?
Lastly, if your in a state where it's illegal to sell raw milk do you want it legalized or not or you don't care?

Tn, it is legal to sell raw milk here in Texas, however, you do have to obtain a permit. It's my understanding that it cost about double what you pay in the store. I was raised on raw milk and it didn't affect me except for a tic here and there, a slight stutter, and six fingers on one hand. Other than that I suppose it's harmless. :lol2: Only joking. I'm sure these folks do have certain standards to meet as far as quality control etc.

I live in Ontario Canada where it is illegal for raw milk to leave your premises! I am against big brother controlling what I want to consume...I feel there is a market for raw milk and products made with raw milk but big brother doesn't want small farmers to survive....

Onthebit":7emz96jm said:
I live in Ontario Canada where it is illegal for raw milk to leave your premises! I am against big brother controlling what I want to consume...I feel there is a market for raw milk and products made with raw milk but big brother doesn't want small farmers to survive....

BUT, that does not keep you from consuming it on the farm does it? Just can't sell it. ??

you can't sell it and you can't give it to someone....in fact you can't sell cheese made from it but you can give it away if it is aged 60 days

Latest news on the Canadian farmer trial.

ONTARIO: Farmer testifies he didn't try to break law
29.jan.09
Peterborough Examiner
Canadian Press
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ ... ?e=1410150
Outlining the finer points of the cow-share program he used to distribute raw milk, dairy farmer Michael Schmidt told a court yesterday he never meant to break the law.
"My concern was not to circumvent the law. My concern was simply to work within the parameters of the statutes and acts," he said.
The 54-year-old from Durham, Ont., faces 20 charges stemming from the production, storage and distribution of raw milk. In Canada, it is illegal to distribute unpasteurized milk, which health officials consider a hazard.
But Schmidt said he's not selling raw milk. Instead, he said, he's selling teats.
That's because the cow-share program works on a "one teat per membership" basis, he said.
After paying a $300 sign-up fee, members own a portion of the cow, he added.
They pay Schmidt for a boarding service, "which includes feeding, cleaning and housing of the cows," and in return are entitled to the cows' raw milk, which Schmidt sometimes delivers, he said.
"We do not sell raw milk to the public," said Schmidt. "No one can receive milk or milk products unless they are members."
In the Crown's cross-examination, Allen Ryan, a lawyer representing the Ministry of Natural Resources, asked Schmidt: "How does a private contract exclude you from public health legislation?"
Schmidt replied that drinking windshield fluid is legal within the privacy of one's own home.

Bluestem":2ln2ecc1 said:
Latest news on the Canadian farmer trial.

ONTARIO: Farmer testifies he didn't try to break law

BS, that's the oldest scam to sell raw milk that there is. It was done at least as far back as the 50s.

I have seen shared cow ownership before. That way, you're not actually selling raw products. Of course it's usually only split between two people(usually family or friends).

Personally, I wish we could sell raw milk here. It's a lot safer than a lot of the junk the goverment says is okay to consume. It wouldn't surprise me if soon we couldn't sell raw eggs.

brandonm_13":x9sataar said:
I have seen shared cow ownership before. That way, you're not actually selling raw products. Of course it's usually only split between two people(usually family or friends).

Personally, I wish we could sell raw milk here. It's a lot safer than a lot of the junk the goverment says is okay to consume. It wouldn't surprise me if soon we couldn't sell raw eggs.
Dad sold our dairy herd when I was 18, I had never had "store milk" til then, quit drinking milk,just tasted terrible to me. Still don't drink it. Seems like the "shared cow ownership" should be allowed but when the government is involved.... :???: :frowns: :mad:

Up until I read this thread, I thought it was legal to sale up to 100 gallons of milk a month here in Oklahoma. I thought I might check the law before I posted and it has recently been changed to say "raw goat milk". That leaves me out. I have milk cow(s). I'll just keep on raising orphan calves and be happy. Anyways, it's a pain to keep up with on a small scale and not worth the trouble. About everytime someone calls saying they're on their way they end up causing you to be late for whatever it was you were going to do in town and sometimes they don't show. The $3.00 profit sometimes isn't worth the hassle.
Here's a link to state milk regulation laws.

http://www.realmilk.com/milk-laws-1.html

We live in MO where is it legal to sell raw milk off the farm to the final consumer without obtaining Grade A permit. We make a nice little side income from our small herd. They feed themselves and all our other animals (10 head of cattle in varying sizes, several pigs, 50 laying chickens, and 200 broilers per year) and provide the grocery funds for the food we do buy "off the farm".

Rachel
Jersey Knoll Farm

jerseyknoll":8miiox96 said:
We live in MO where is it legal to sell raw milk off the farm to the final consumer without obtaining Grade A permit. We make a nice little side income from our small herd. They feed themselves and all our other animals (10 head of cattle in varying sizes, several pigs, 50 laying chickens, and 200 broilers per year) and provide the grocery funds for the food we do buy "off the farm".

Rachel
Jersey Knoll Farm

What happens if someone comes back and says the milk you sold them, made them sick? Could you be held liable?
GMN

Here in North Idaho, we can't sell raw milk but we can sell whatever kind of milk we want as long as it is for "pets only". Most people who buy figure their kids are a bunch of 'rug-rats' anyway :lol2:

i live in vermont where it is legal to sell a certain amount of raw milk a day (i dont know the amount or the details) all i know is its all i'll drink, which is weird cause i grew up for 25 years on store 2% milk, hate it as an adult, and basically stoped drinkin milk until last year when i tried raw milk.

VtMapleGal":1vnxj5f2 said:
i live in vermont where it is legal to sell a certain amount of raw milk a day (i dont know the amount or the details) all i know is its all i'll drink, which is weird cause i grew up for 25 years on store 2% milk, hate it as an adult, and basically stoped drinkin milk until last year when i tried raw milk.

Delicious isn't it. :nod:

Raw Milk is of course unfit for human consumption...the government is just trying to protect us..that's all.

i can't really say(type) that with a straight face! hahaha! I love raw milk..it is the beverage of gods. pure delicious goodness!

Legislation prohibits sale of raw milk in South Africa aswell but it is very difficult to control.I believe that regulations are put in place to protect the consumer and are not some hidden Big Brother agenda.
I personally don't have a problem with raw milk and have been drinking it as long as i can remember but then i always knew where the milk was coming from ie own dairy.What does worry me is how dairies pick up say early stage mastitis with out mixing it in with the healthy milk :shock:
Milk is a known breeding ground for disease/bacteria etc- speak to any microbiologist and i don't think anyone of us will ever drink raw milk again. :?

I've had a family member die from drinking unpasturized (sp?) milk. But then again who would give a kid under two raw milk?

Latest posts