Raw Milk ?

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10":3fkn471k said:
I've had a family member die from drinking unpasturized (sp?) milk. But then again who would give a kid under two raw milk?
99% of the dairy farmers in this country would/do

dun":vkdznewv said:
FarmGirl10":vkdznewv said:
I've had a family member die from drinking unpasturized (sp?) milk. But then again who would give a kid under two raw milk?
Yeah, it was back in the 30's though, so it probably would be safer to do now.

FarmGirl10":2ths6sdg said:
dun":2ths6sdg said:
FarmGirl10":2ths6sdg said:
Yeah, it was back in the 30's though, so it probably would be safer to do now.
Talk to a few dairyman. All of the ones I know do it. When we sold raw goats milk the vast majority went to people with little kids the were allergic to cows milk. I'ld be willing to bet that there are still a lot of kids drinking raw goats milk for the same reason.

We just had an outbreak from raw milk in my region: http://brownfieldagnews.com/2009/08/28/ ... wisconsin/

To me it's an informed consent issue. You eat raw meat/milk products, you assume the risk of illness. I drank raw milk evey day as a kid, never had a problem. However, I was exposed to potential pathogens every day of my life growing up with the cows and I am a firm believer that it makes your constitution more resistant as an adult. People who live in town and live their sanitized lives filled with antibacterial soaps and cleansers have no resistance to these things and are more likely to get sick when exposed. It's like moving to the country and gettin mad that the country's there (some people called the cops on my dad once when he was chopping corn - the lights from the chopper were shining in their dining room window and disrupted their supper, poor things). You drink raw milk, you get the bacteria with it, good and bad.

Pasteurization is there to protect us from pathogens that used to be more common (TB and Brucellosis) and those that are still common (Campylobacter, E. coli, Listeria). If you are okay with being exposed to this, by all means, drink away, but quit your moaning if you get sick. I like extremely rare meat. Won't sue myself if I get sick.

To those of you who are non-believers in milk pasteurization, ask yourselves this: would you eat raw pork, chicken, ground beef? Why don't you feed raw honey to your babies? Same set of risks. If you won't assume those other risks, why is milk different? I'm not against the consumption of raw milk, I still drink it myself, I just can't understand the disconnect.

alisonb":v9ko06tt said:
Legislation prohibits sale of raw milk in South Africa aswell but it is very difficult to control.I believe that regulations are put in place to protect the consumer and are not some hidden Big Brother agenda.
I personally don't have a problem with raw milk and have been drinking it as long as i can remember but then i always knew where the milk was coming from ie own dairy.What does worry me is how dairies pick up say early stage mastitis with out mixing it in with the healthy milk :shock:
Milk is a known breeding ground for disease/bacteria etc- speak to any microbiologist and i don't think anyone of us will ever drink raw milk again. :?

Do what?? ALL milk has some degree of bacteria. Why would you mix what a good dairyman would consider "dump milk" into the so-called "good milk"???? As for mastitis, there will always be some clinical and subclinical mastitis in a dairy herd. The dairyman milks what he considers to be "health cattle" into his bulk tank. It is all considered "healthy milk". You can test for and find a number of different strains of bacteria in just about anything (including water). You've probably got more bacteria in 1 ml of saliva than you'd ever find in milk. Everything can be a breeding ground for bacteria and disease. Check out a scraping from your fingernail sometimes.

redcowsrule33":3fjxwsak said:
We just had an outbreak from raw milk in my region: http://brownfieldagnews.com/2009/08/28/ ... wisconsin/

The article did not say whether or not the people drank milk from the same source.

We have family milk cows and have been drinking raw milk for over 30 years. We are diligent about milking "clean". We don't store in a bulk tank and the milk is used up quickly.

We've never had an illness associated with raw milk.

Would I buy raw milk from an individual? Probably not.

redcowsrule33":1wi467ud said:
To me it's an informed consent issue. You eat raw meat/milk products, you assume the risk of illness.
redcowsrule33":1wi467ud said:
Pasteurization is there to protect us from pathogens that used to be more common (TB and Brucellosis) and those that are still common (Campylobacter, E. coli, Listeria). If you are okay with being exposed to this, by all means, drink away, but quit your moaning if you get sick.
Well said!
TexasBred":1wi467ud said:
Do what?? ALL milk has some degree of bacteria. Why would you mix what a good dairyman would consider "dump milk" into the so-called "good milk"???? As for mastitis, there will always be some clinical and subclinical mastitis in a dairy herd. The dairyman milks what he considers to be "health cattle" into his bulk tank. It is all considered "healthy milk".
Are "all' dairymen "good" or does their bank balance take first place.What "he" considers "healthy" milk could just as well be partly "dump" milk,that is i believe one of the main reasons milk is pasteurised.
TexasBred":1wi467ud said:
Check out a scraping from your fingernail sometimes.
That is why we wash our hands,pasteurise milk and chlorinate water!
But by all means, lets quit quality control and health regulations-that is if you are for degression not progression.

Are "all' dairymen "good" or does their bank balance take first place.What "he" considers "healthy" milk could just as well be partly "dump" milk,that is i believe one of the main reasons milk is pasteurised.Did I or anyone say "all dairymen are good?? Read it again. But the health restrictions on milk usually eliminates the "bad dairymen" who can't meet the strict requirements for shipping milk. TexasBred wrote:
Check out a scraping from your fingernail sometimes.That is why we wash our hands,pasteurise milk and chlorinate water!
But by all means, lets quit quality control and health regulations-that is if you are for degression not progression.

I didn't say that either. Only said that our hands are living breathing breeding grounds for bacteria of all kinds so let's not limit bacteria to raw milk. If you've ever been in a dairy barn you know that milk is always within a sterilized atmosphere. From the milk claw thru the pipeline, receiving jar and into the milk tank. All have been sanitized with washes of acid, chlorine and strong soap. The milk tanker that hauls the milk is also sterilized everytime it unloads. This does not mean that there are no naturally occuring bacteria in milk. Afterall it is bacteria that causes mastitis.

Now go to a milk processing plant and see what happens to that good cold milk once it arrives. It ain't all good and it ain't all pretty. And chlorine and hand washing are not perfect sanitizing methods either. And for whatever it's worth Listeria and other pathogens grow at 38degrees or less and even survive pasturization and will grow in milk cartons.

I agree it is an informed consent issue. daayum swimming pools have "swim at your own risk" signs...why can't we have "drink at your own risk"?

Drinking raw milk should be left to the individual. It's our right to eat or drink anything we want. It's OK by government standards to eat a rare steak, eat raw oysters on the half shell, and for that matter drink alchohol. (BTW, alchohol related death would surpass raw milk deaths by about 10 trillion to 1)

Why can't people get over the fact that anything you eat could kill you. The good Lord gives us a certain number of heartbeats while here on Earth. No more, No less.......period! Most countries other than the US, the UK, and some of the larger countries in Europe are considered "3rd World". Wouldn't you know it, they drink raw milk all the time. Mostly goat or yak milk I'd suppose. And they're just fine with it.

It never ceases to amaze me that the same folks who get on a soap box about raw milk let their kids sit on the couch and eat junk food and drink soda pop at a rate that has increased juvenile diabetes by a HUGE amount in the last two decades. My question is: Who's killing more kids? The dairyman or the parent............some food for thought!

francismilker":1xe1se78 said:
Drinking raw milk should be left to the individual. It's our right to eat or drink anything we want.
It should be but what happens if the individual contracs some disease and passes it onto others,inter alia the masses?We as individuals have a responsibility.
francismilker":1xe1se78 said:
Most countries other than the US, the UK, and some of the larger countries in Europe are considered "3rd World". Wouldn't you know it, they drink raw milk all the time.
Why do you think developed countries have a lot fewer incidences than 3rd world countries-they have strict health regulations in place.In South Africa a brave attempt is being made to control the likes but it is very difficult.There is now a strain of TB that is almost resistant to all antibiotics-people are dying. Selling raw milk just seems like a step backwards for a developed country.
TexasBred":1xe1se78 said:
Did I or anyone say "all dairymen are good?? Read it again. But the health restrictions on milk usually eliminates the "bad dairymen" who can't meet the strict requirements for shipping milk.
TB-I hear you loud and clear,i was questioning the milkmen/women's ethics.If we start selling raw milk to the public are those strict requirements going to be kept in place ?
I for one wouldn't fancy drinking pus!

Wow...pus??? Hardly....but stop and think...how do you make cheese?? What makes it smell?? It's just a fermented product and gets to be cheese because of the work of bacteria naturally present in the milk, moulds on the cheese surface, and enzymes that are busy breaking down the sugars and proteins in the milk. As for 3rd world countries. All countries have their customs....especially their delicacies in foods. It's not that they are so-called "3rd world"....it's their culture to do the things they do. Folks around here eat the guts, the kidneys, lungs, brains, blood and everything else in an animal. They were raised on the stuff........ I'll stick with the better cuts. :lol2: :lol2: But I do love milk that is around 36 degrees temperature and 4% butterfat....now that is real milk. ;-)

TexasBred":1t89r37c said:
Wow...pus??? Hardly....but stop and think...how do you make cheese??
With a few exceptions it requires rennet to make cheese.

My father tells me that in his young days, they drank it directly from the tap. Knock the calf out of the way and get you all you could. He's 75 now and still in good health, so I guess it didn't hurt him too bad.

TexasBred":1aivaqpi said:
dun":1aivaqpi said:
TexasBred":1aivaqpi said:
Wow...pus??? Hardly....but stop and think...how do you make cheese??
With a few exceptions it requires rennet to make cheese.
Yessir.... "bacteria".
Better for most people to not know where it coms from I think

alisonb":7w9cc5tw said:
TexasBred":7w9cc5tw said:
Yessir.... "bacteria".
:clap:
I was wondering if we should be eating cheese.... ;-)

Of Course...it doesn't even have to be refrigerated....scrape off the mold, wash it and eat it....goooooood. ;-) Don't forget...there are "good bacteria" also.

Kansas does allow sells of raw milk with these restrictions:

• It must be sold on the farm where the milk is produced
• It must be to the final customer;
• It can be advertised on the farm only;
• The advertisement must state the milk is raw, unpasteurized, and ungraded.

We sell raw goats milk and when our cow freshens (four months!!) we will probably sell her milk too. We do not advertise and sell mostly to kennels. We have some other customers but it is sold to them as dog and cat food or for bottling young animals what they do with it once they have it is their business. We don't sell a lot but what we do pays for the animals feed so we break even with free milk (and milk products) for ourselves. I am excited to try making cheese with cows milk as it is suppose to be a lot easier than goats milk (which I have done).

Forgot to add, I do not think that the government has any business in this area. If people know the potential risk it is their right to make the decision. Last year the feds busted a local Amish family for selling raw milk, I see their point though. I mean just look at it from the feds point of view they were selling poison and with those long dresses and hats for hiding guns in and all of that horse a cow manure around for bomb making they could have been the next terrorist! They sure saved us all and put our tax dollars to great work!

Latest posts