Random pictures from this fall. (heavy)

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
Just sorting through the pictures on my phone from Sept-Nov. Thought I would post some, since it's gotten easier to upload pictures.

Start of corn.
20200919_155826.jpg

Started cutting beans under the harvest moon.

20201001_192724.jpg

20201007_133648.jpg

Bean cleanup from when the truck driver left the grain door open, of course it was the combine driver's fault for not catching it sooner.

20201010_112439.jpg

Co-pilot watching for bunnies.

20201010_142614.jpg

Corn stalk bale pickup. 20201017_122632.jpg

Late night wheat planting.

20201024_194644.jpg

First fall turkey, usually to busy with harvest, and the season is only 8 days long in the fall.

20201030_170658.jpg

Rolling with the basket harrow, over corn stalks.

20201112_143300.jpg

Calves love bedding day

20201113_164841.jpg

More in a moment.

Harvest.

20201013_191231.jpg

20201104_140402.jpg

Last load.

20201105_124523.jpg

Bit of quail hunting.

20201127_073851.jpg

20201111_092413.jpg

Chisel plowing is one of my favorite fall jobs.

20201120_141435.jpg

Feeders eating at night.

20201203_174829.jpg

Turning over the compost pile $$$.

20201208_152206.jpg

This fall has had a lot of beautiful days. Clear skies for miles, and plenty of sunshine.

20201201_155508.jpg

Attachments

• 20201110_164527.jpg
    20201110_164527.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Just sorting through the pictures on my phone from Sept-Nov. Thought I would post some, since it's gotten easier to upload pictures.

Start of corn.
View attachment 1279

View attachment 1278

View attachment 1277

Bean cleanup from when the truck driver left the grain door open, of course it was the combine driver's fault for not catching it sooner.

View attachment 1276

View attachment 1275

Corn stalk bale pickup. View attachment 1274

View attachment 1272

First fall turkey, usually to busy with harvest, and the season is only 8 days long in the fall.

View attachment 1271

View attachment 1270

Calves love bedding day

View attachment 1269

More in a moment.
On that Turkey, I throw a rock to get mine... :sneaky: ..

You ever bale your corn stalks for hay ? I have a friend who said they ruined a round baler bailing corn stalks.

I was looking at some recently combined corn fields and was thinking about what he said about ruining that baler and started thinking that if maybe they had of went over the feild with either a batwing hog or disc bine that maybe it would cut the stalks up into a finer forage to bale. That would make it easier on a baler and cattle to eat ? Is my thinking on that wrong ?

Is corn stalks good cattle feed ? I have seen where cattle farmers put up hot wires around cut fields and run cattle on them. Do you do that ?

I had those custom baled. You can mow them down, but that increases the amount of dirt you pickup with the bale, and if the stalks are really dry they will turn to powder. Mine are mainly for bedding, if you want to feed them, getting someone with a grinder to chop them up works best, but cost.

Start of corn.
View attachment 1279

View attachment 1278

View attachment 1277

View attachment 1276

View attachment 1275

Corn stalk bale pickup. View attachment 1274

View attachment 1272

View attachment 1271

View attachment 1270

Calves love bedding day

View attachment 1269

More in a moment.
Thanks for sharing great pictures of a great way of life! Glad you were able to find enough time to get that gobbler. Folks that don't farm have no idea the hours it takes to keep them fed.

You ever bale your corn stalks for hay ? I have a friend who said they ruined a round baler bailing corn stalks.

I was looking at some recently combined corn fields and was thinking about what he said about ruining that baler and started thinking that if maybe they had of went over the feild with either a batwing hog or disc bine that maybe it would cut the stalks up into a finer forage to bale. That would make it easier on a baler and cattle to eat ? Is my thinking on that wrong ?

Is corn stalks good cattle feed ? I have seen where cattle farmers put up hot wires around cut fields and run cattle on them. Do you do that ?
An acre of corn stalks will feed a cow for a month when grazing, sometimes longer, the fresher the better. They can be difficult to bale, it is hard on the baler, and cows pick through them more than eat them. That said, stalks can be cheap cow feed extender/bedding since they are leftovers and your only expense is the baling.

An acre of corn stalks will feed a cow for a month when grazing, sometimes longer, the fresher the better. They can be difficult to bale, it is hard on the baler, and cows pick through them more than eat them. That said, stalks can be cheap cow feed extender/bedding since they are leftovers and your only expense is the baling.

Thanks for the information. I was in Nebraska a couple years ago and noticed alot cut corn fields with cattle grazeing on them.

I have seen alot of corn stalks baled in my location but have never seen cattle put on any combined corn fields around my area.

I have to friends that i graduated high scool with that are row crop farmer's. Neither one of them incorporate cattle into their farming.

I guess they have enough to take care of without having to take care of cattle too ?

I have not tried feeding corn to livestock. Is corn more satisfying and nutritious for the cow? How does this diet affect the quality of meat?

Around here farmers will run a batwing mower over the stalks prior to raking primarily to cut the standing stalks off at ground level in order to gain more volume but also to make raking easier. The cows will nibble on a corn stalk bale but they are mostly used for bedding here in central IL. We do graze alot of harvested fields and while the cattle will eat the shredded leaves they are also recovering ears and kernels left behind after harvest.

Really little more than filler.

An acre of corn stalks will feed a cow for a month when grazing, sometimes longer, the fresher the better. They can be difficult to bale, it is hard on the baler, and cows pick through them more than eat them. That said, stalks can be cheap cow feed extender/bedding since they are leftovers and your only expense is the baling

Really little more than filler.
Thsnks i didn't know that. If thats the case. I could see stringing up a hot wire and letting cattle clean up a fresh combined field but, unless i had an old baler that i wasn't worried about tearing up i can't see how people can come out bailing it ?

Unless using it for bedding is real important in their area. Maybe where the temperatures drop to freezing and stay that way for weeks or months at a time ?

Here in Arkansas i have never myself even considered some type of bedding for my cattle.

I guess i could see the need for bedding where it gets bad cold. But here in my area if you were to put bedding down for cattle it would probably wind up being a mess. Here we get more freezing rain instead of snow. So anything put down for bedding would get soaked and stomped into the mud by the cattle instead of being used for bedding.

So since baled corn stubble doesn't have much nutritional value and is hard on baleing equipment i don't know why some people bale it around here. But occasionally some do. I don't see much of it being baled but every now and then i do.

Latest posts