Rain has done me some justice

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
My pond is the fullest it has been in 2 years which is great. Although I spent 6 hours on my motor grader fixing all my farm roads and property roads that I lease due to rain but the good out weighs the bad.
ResizedImage_1362367447301_zps151f1142.jpg

How big is it, i can't tell by the picture. we build alot of ponds just got done with a 2 acre pond 23 feet deep. I know what you mean about the rain this summer in our drough i cleaned out over 100 ponds and built a bunch of new one's, every time i was thinking it could be a long time before they had anything in them at all.

Denver the pond is a total of 9 acres. The deepest portion of the pond I want to say is around 18 feet. Lol I even pumped water out of it to spray some of my rowcrops as well as hay field beside it last summer. If we keep getting a ton of rain its gonna spill over

Thanks Jo the pond seems to dislike me for some reason its full of fish but I rarely catch one my kids and wife can fill up a 5 gallon bucket of crappie in a hour and I won't even get a nibble lol

skyhightree1":2oywgco1 said:
Thanks Jo the pond seems to dislike me for some reason its full of fish but I rarely catch one my kids and wife can fill up a 5 gallon bucket of crappie in a hour and I won't even get a nibble lol
1. You ain't holding your mouth right?
2. You go fishin, but your family is going catching--there's a difference.

That is, one beautiful looking pond. Wish mine was that deep.

Thanks grey. I guess thats right but as long as they are around I know I won't starve lol good point maybe if i say im going catching instead of fishing I will start catching lol. How deep is your pond Grey ?

Right now, about 7' at the deepest. Started off 15' + deep back in the late 60s, but 40 years of pine needles and oak leaves washing into it have filled it in. No way to drain it other than cutting the dam and I can't spend the $$ on a dragline or dang big excavator to deepen it. Can't risk cutting the dam and have another drought year leave me with no way to water cattle. My dock has 4-5' of water at the end of it. In 2011 August, I built the dock and never got my feet wet or muddy. Got lots of bass and a fair amount of crappie but I haven't kept any to eat in recent years because I was afraid the water was too stagnant. We won't intentionally swim in it either.

Gotcha... Do you have any catfish in your pond? If I catch it and its big enough to clean it gets eaten lol... yea you need it for your cattle. thats one thing I wish I had is a dock.

yes to the catfish but only a few and not many big ones, but I don't think they are reproducing like the bass and crappie are. I think the gators ate most of the catfish in 2011.

I have a ton of cats in the pond I honestly think when the pond was built it was about 400-700 put in there as fingerlings My daughter is always catching them from 2lbs to biggest of 7lbs or so. The bass population is high but they must have stuck 3000 of them in there because we catch and eat tons of them. Brim or panfish sunfish is also a high population

Latest posts