Rain 🌧️ !

Help Support CattleToday:

We are also getting some very much needed moisture... Supposed to rain all day... 1-3 inches in forecast. I should be able to quit hauling water every few days to supplement the spring that had gotten very very slow... Chilly, 36 this morning.
We have been in extreme drought status. This will help a very big fire in the Nat'l Wilderness area of the Shenandoah nat'l park a little south of here... Up to just under 11,000 acres... smoke has been real bad a few days.... this will help all around... 30% contained, been burning since Sunday, 11/12....

About dark last night, the wind started blowing......hurricane, gale force winds....taking down trees, distributing lawn furniture, pop-up awnings, etc, all across sundivisio0ns and neighbor hoods. If you went outside, you could feel little stinging drops of water on your face. Did this all night, and all day today it is like a stable mister outside. No real rain. Between last night and today, we have gotten nearly a half inch! Just enough to make the roads slick, but not enough to wash the oil and residue off the roads.

We had almost an inch and a half this morning, beginning in the early AM and just now tapering off. No runoff and last I looked still no flow in the creek. Most rain since June, I hope we have turned a corner.
Luckily, I have water fountains, well located, that are supplied by city water and have not been short of water for the stock.
I started feeding some hay in late September. In a normal year I usually feed my first hay about now (late November).

I figure we got a 1/4" and its almost over. Darn
Dang, Kenny as close as we live to each other it is amazing the difference in rain. A lot of times you get a lot more. I am showing around 1.5 inches.

koEfBxY.jpg

About dark last night, the wind started blowing......hurricane, gale force winds....taking down trees, distributing lawn furniture, pop-up awnings, etc, all across sundivisio0ns and neighbor hoods. If you went outside, you could feel little stinging drops of water on your face. Did this all night, and all day today it is like a stable mister outside. No real rain. Between last night and today, we have gotten nearly a half inch! Just enough to make the roads slick, but not enough to wash the oil and residue off the roads.
Well about 1:30 this afternoon the bottom fell out. Rained so hard cars had to stop on the highway, and rained til a little after 3..hard and heavy for a good 90 minutes. Had hail in it, too. But from 3 on, and even now (8PM) that steady mist has not stopped. But, still no standing water, and the creeks haven't risen or gotten the least bit muddy. It is supposed to do this all night, though, so maybe we will catch up on the deficit for the year before its over.

Last edited:
Most years Thanksgiving is when the rain finally comes back around here. Some years it rains constantly from now until April. Makes it hard to get anything in the ground in the Spring.

Saw on the news today, that the past 3 days of rain we had...including the 90 min deluge yesterday...only gave us 1.23 inches. That still puts us more than 7.5" below normal so far this year. Next chance is midweek next week

Last edited:
I had 2.6 inches in the rain gauge total. Today was mostly cloudy, cold kinda raw feeling. I do not see any place where it might have "washed"... it started out nice and slow and soft and soaked in real good. We are still nearly 8 inches below normal with this rain added in... but it sure will help. Concrete trough at the one pasture was up full today when I checked it... It is supplied by a shallow spring up in the "hollow" that does use the seeping water from ground water. Very Thankful for the rain. It will really help them at the 11,000 acre fire that has been in the Nat'l Forest south of here for the last week.

Final 2.5 in Pisgah . Huntsville weather man said that one rain was an inch more than we got all of September and October combined. For us I would include August too .