Quick-attach for loaders

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers":cnt9t74n said:
What's wrong with building a spear and a set of forks that attach to the bucket? I have both built for my backhoe an they latch on without getting out of the cab. I have a new (used) hoe coming that will set the whole bucket off without getting out so I will build a spear that will hook up without the bucket in the way for when we have lots of bales go load on a trailor or put in the barn but I'll also keep the one that goes right on the bucket.
Jeanne - Simme Valley":cnt9t74n said:
I wouldn't want the spear attached to my bucket because of weight. I'm hauling 1400# baleage bales - on NOT the smoothest ground :shock: would just be harder on the front end.
And if the bucket isn't reinforced properly you will likely bend the bucket but it can be done. Jed is likely to have a tractors that can handle it. Really wouldn't be much different than those equipped with a grappel except all of the weight is on the edge of the bucket. Lots of leverage from the spear.

Those of you with pin-on buckets and spikes must have equipment that's not nearly as worn as mine. The old Dunham_Lehr 22 on my 7600 Ford has pins and I can swap from bucket to spike or forks in under 5 minutes.

The Bush Hog loader on the new tractor can be swapped over in less than a minute, though.

cfpinz":2phw2pf0 said:
Those of you with pin-on buckets and spikes must have equipment that's not nearly as worn as mine. The old Dunham_Lehr 22 on my 7600 Ford has pins and I can swap from bucket to spike or forks in under 5 minutes.

The Bush Hog loader on the new tractor can be swapped over in less than a minute, though.
Grease is a wonderful thing but it does tend to keep pins and sleeves from wearing enough that everything just kind of falls together

dun":fgkocj03 said:
Grease is a wonderful thing but it does tend to keep pins and sleeves from wearing enough that everything just kind of falls together

I grease the crap out of everything, not sure about the previous owners. If you grease up the pins on my old loader and line the holes up just right, when you shove the pins in they'll slide straight out the other side if you push too hard! Well broken in, I'd say...

cfpinz":174yl0d9 said:
dun":174yl0d9 said:

I grease the crap out of everything, not sure about the previous owners. If you grease up the pins on my old loader and line the holes up just right, when you shove the pins in they'll slide straight out the other side if you push too hard! Well broken in, I'd say...
My problem was alignment, they had to be so perfect that it was almost impossible to get them out, let alone back in

1982vett":251h68o1 said:
jedstivers":251h68o1 said:
What's wrong with building a spear and a set of forks that attach to the bucket? I have both built for my backhoe an they latch on without getting out of the cab. I have a new (used) hoe coming that will set the whole bucket off without getting out so I will build a spear that will hook up without the bucket in the way for when we have lots of bales go load on a trailor or put in the barn but I'll also keep the one that goes right on the bucket.
Jeanne - Simme Valley":251h68o1 said:
I wouldn't want the spear attached to my bucket because of weight. I'm hauling 1400# baleage bales - on NOT the smoothest ground :shock: would just be harder on the front end.
And if the bucket isn't reinforced properly you will likely bend the bucket but it can be done. Jed is likely to have a tractors that can handle it. Really wouldn't be much different than those equipped with a grappel except all of the weight is on the edge of the bucket. Lots of leverage from the spear.
Have it on a 416C Cat Backhoe, don't much bother it. Got a 420EIT coming this week.

Aside from turning two spring loaded pins on the attachment piece bolted to the tractor I never have to leave the seat of the tractor to change from bucket to hay spear. I can change from one to the other in less than five minutes.

......."My problem was alignment, they had to be so perfect that it was almost impossible to get them out, let alone back in".....

Exactly what I run into. There is absolutely NO slack in there anywhere.

Now for the best tip I got-- When you take off the bucket, set it down on several old tires. This makes it fairly easy to make small position changes in getting it lined up.

At least, so they say. And we all know who "they" are................. :cowboy: :tiphat:

Jim62":45eo7qgo said:
......."My problem was alignment, they had to be so perfect that it was almost impossible to get them out, let alone back in".....

Exactly what I run into. There is absolutely NO slack in there anywhere.

Now for the best tip I got-- When you take off the bucket, set it down on several old tires. This makes it fairly easy to make small position changes in getting it lined up.

At least, so they say. And we all know who "they" are................. :cowboy: :tiphat:

I have a hard time seeing the brackets on the quick hitch loader that's on my 4wd tractor, can't see around the hood/tires if you leave the attachment on the ground. They're a lot easier to see if you set them up on a wagon or something, my personal favorite is the top deck of a gooseneck trailer.