Questions so basic I'm almost too embarrassed to ask

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought 4 cows so she made me a package deal. The heifer has a larger frame but isn't quite filled out. I would wait a few months to butcher but we need meat in the freezer now, the butcher is coming out Thursday. None of them are registered or bred but I found a Highland bull to rent for the two cows we're keeping.

I'm a relative newbie so apply salt liberally, but here's how I'd approach the question: As a start-up, I would want to make sure that I was building a reputation for good meat. I would not want to offer, right off the bat, beef that might be less than optimal, thereby "spoiling" the market (in the economic sense, not as in rotten meat!). So I would decide which of the two would likely produce more tender, flavorful meat, and sell that one by halves or quarters. I would guess that would mean butchering the older cow for your own freezer, and finishing up the heifer and selling her as quarters or halves in a few months.

Anybody with more experience think I'm looking at this bassackwards?

If you just need meat in the freezer, the butcher is coming this week, and aren't concerned about whether it's hamburger or steaks... butcher the one that will give you the better yield. If the cow is in good body condition she'll probably be the better choice, but without pictures of both or touching the cow I sure can't say online.

You're probably looking at a 40-55% carcass weight on the cow depending on body condition, then 40% of that is take-home. FYI.

Rookie farmer":34kj2oix said:
How much would you say a 5 year old purebred Highland is worth? How about a yearling Highland/Limousin heifer?
I've seen highland cows bring $250 and fat highland steers bring $1000 here locally. I would think if you are just sending them to market it would be impossible to predict how much you would get on any particular day.

I would sale the one that will bring the most money and butcher the second biggest and keep the two smallest for your cows. The smallest could still have more room to grow.

I would keep the heifer and breed her to something other than Highlander Angus ,Hereford , Limi
Galloway , the choices are endless , I would butcher the cow for myself , as that LimiX will raise a more marketable calf down the road ,
Suzanne