Questions so basic I'm almost too embarrassed to ask

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie farmer

Reaction score
I feel ridiculous asking such basic questions but I'm totally new to raising beef! We want to keep our freezer stocked so I told a friend I wanted to raise a beef cow. She said I need to get at least 2-3 because they're herd animals.

So my main question is: do you breed the same cow every year until she's no longer able to produce and eat her when she's older? OR do you breed a cow, eat her after she has a heifer, raise that heifer to be bred the next year and continually eat the young momma?

Also, we have a sloped pasture and I was told that is going to make the meat lean and stringy because they'll be getting more exercise... Is that true?

I had a dozen questions I wanted to ask but now I'm drawing a blank. ANY useful tips for a newby would be appreciated :)

Thank you!

They are herd animals nad usually do better with at least 2. What you do isbuy 2 steers around 700 lbs. Feed them grain to put some growth and fat on them, butcher one and sell the other then repeat. Unless the pasture is so steep that they have short legs on one side so they don;t roll down the hill the pasture isn;t an issue. Proper feeding will put a finish on the steer unless it's a breed that doesn;t put on any fat when fed properly or so old that it's too old to do much finsihing (probably 10 years old or so). Sounds like you need to find a more knowledgable mentor for this endeavor.

dun":xc8px0af said:
They are herd animals nad usually do better with at least 2. What you do isbuy 2 steers around 700 lbs. Feed them grain to put some growth and fat on them, butcher one and sell the other then repeat. Unless the pasture is so steep that they have short legs on one side so they don;t roll down the hill the pasture isn;t an issue. Proper feeding will put a finish on the steer unless it's a breed that doesn;t put on any fat when fed properly or so old that it's too old to do much finsihing (probably 10 years old or so). Sounds like you need to find a more knowledgable mentor for this endeavor.

x2

Definitely go with a steer. Having one or two to breed every year is probably going to be more trouble than you want to mess with!

On the subject of raising your own:
You would want to keep the brood cow, not eat her after she calved. It would be three years before her heifer calf raised one big enough to eat. Plus a mother cow is older and the meat is usually not as desirable. You would need a way to breed the momma cow back. Owning a bull for one cow is not feasible.
You can buy a younger calf and raise it or buy a bigger one and fatten (finish).

Welcome rookie farmer. You don't know til you ask questions. My advice would be to listen to anything the Gentleman below posts. You'll pick up a lot.

dun":oz5x9rbi said:

Welcome aboard, Rookie! There's thousands of years of experience on this site; you'll learn how to sort out any BS, and sometimes you might get spanked, but that'll help you remember. ;)

I do know someone in your area raising beef cattle, at Aumsville. And he's been doing it a LONG time. I'll private message you with his contact info. I'll be seeing him in a month or so to deliver a bull calf and pick up a couple steers.

I was going to follow your guys advice and get a couple steers but I stumbled upon a small herd of Highland cows and couldn't pass up the deal. I plan on selling one, eating one and breeding the other two. I need to decide which to eat and which to sell...

The 5 year old cow has a crooked horn (got stuck in a panel years ago) which might be a turn off to buyers, will her meat still be good?

The yearling heifer is Highland/Limousin cross, she's already as big as her momma. Her meat is probably tastier but she would probably sell for more?

Which one gets sold and which one goes to the freezer?

I can't tell you what to do in that situation. The steaks from the cow may be less tender than those from the heifer, but the heifer is almost certainly worth more money.

I can't imagine the shape of the cow's horn affecting the price.

bbirder":31wegjwr said:
greybeard":31wegjwr said:
jedstivers":31wegjwr said:
Whoever told you about the sloped pasture, never listen to anything they say.
:lol2: :clap: :clap:

Dam GB, I thought that was where short ribs came from!
:hide: :hide: :hide:
I just couldn't help it!

200_s.gif

How much would you say a 5 year old purebred Highland is worth? How about a yearling Highland/Limousin heifer?

Which to keep and which to sell depends on - what you paid for each, what it will cost you to finish the cow vs the heifer, the current body condition, current market prices, market for purebred (registered?) Highlands...

In reality, just pick one to keep and one to ship. The heifer will likely yield better due to breed, the cow may finish quicker depending on current body condition and frame, and whether or not she's pregnant. Probably not going to be a significant difference but if money is tight you might want to pencil it out and do some more research.

Latest posts