Questions about hay

Help Support CattleToday:

TxBrangus

Reaction score
I've been looking for other types of hay to feed my cattle this winter, due to the rising cost of coastal hay 4x5 $60-$80 a bale. I have found 4x5 wheat straw bales, oat bales, maze stalk bales, and also corn stalk bales, these bales are all running $30-$40 per bale which is much closer to what I paid last year. I feed my herd protein tubs during the winter, supplement alfalfa squares once a week and I plan to plant oats for fall/winter grazing (hopefully they'll come up). I'd like to hear your opinions on feeding other types of hay besides coastal as I have never fed anything else.

Hope you find it fairly close to the house cause freight is what's killing everybody purchasing hay. Oat hay is good hay and cattle love it but mice usually get a lot of the grain out of it. Wheat straw is nothing more than filler but complimented with the protein tubs should work. (I'd prefer some good 40% cottonseed meal cubes). You just hate to give much money for so little with the wheat straw. I've feed maize stalks and the cattle came thru winter looking good and they do love it as well but the only prices I've seen have been inflated. Feeding alfalfa no more than once a week for me would be just a waste of money. Hope you find some hay tho. Better get it quick cause it looks like everyone is going to be in the market.

Buy the best hay you can find/afford. "Poor" hay (aka roughage, straw, native range grasses, etc.) will require more protein supplements and more expense to achieve the desired nutrients for your cattle.

But...any hay is better than nothing... as long as one supplements with extra protein/molasses tubs.

JMO

TxBrangus":t04ejtr7 said:
Thanks TB for the info that's exactly what I was looking for.
You got to keep a close eye on em though. They can loose condition fast. I sure hope we all get some rain soon. Thanks for your post.

Kingfisher, be careful what you hope for. We've had over 10 inches since last Tues. 7 in ches last Tues in 5 hrs, over an in. during the wk. and now 2 more today. A heckuva lot of corn and beans under water, hay that is now crap, and expecting 2 more inches in next 2 days. Every road around is or was under water, some washed out, pastures under water, fences tore down, etc,. So damn sick of water I ain't taking a bath until people won't come near me. But ain't we having fun.

It amazes me how conditions are so extreme in amount of or lack of moisture this year. My area has actually been pretty wet since last June. There is still quite a bit of 2010 corn still in the fields because it is too wet to combine. We still have another day of combining and then will try and plant some silage corn I think or maybe will plant Itallian ryegrass on that field. We did have a nice week a couple weeks back but we were scrambling between combining and planting that I only cut one hay field; of course that is still laying in the field and is junk at this point. If I had a hay head I would just chop it and blow it back on the field but I guess I will just bale it up and use it for bedding. I will cut the rest of the hay this weekend - it's going to be stemmy and over mature but it will have to do. I will only get 2 crops of hay this year I'm guessing instead of 3 but there should be enough regrowth for good fall/winter grazing depending on snow cover.

We really need some sunshine and heat and down south they need rain and cooler temps. Strange year for sure.

Dixieangus":2ni7sb4m said:
Not wanting to hijack but after corn is picked can you cut the stalks and bale them??? Would the hay be worth anything?

Absolutely, and you bet it is! Lots of folks around here winter cattle on corn stalks - baled or standing. Throw up an electric fence, put out a protein tub or two - depending on how many cows you're running on them, supplement with a little hay during snow storms, and they are in good shape come spring. The only thing you have to worry about when grazing cattle on corn stalks is how much corn is left in the field after harvesting because it can bloat them very easily.

I just sold some of my cows, so I could keep what little grass I have... I'm gonna feed lots of cubes and cake this winter... I know they won't be in good shape coming out but I don't see how it is economical to buy hay at the prices it is. I've seen 4x5's for $110 already (costal). I will have to buy some to feed bulls and a few replacements....

msscamp":32kurrny said:
Dixieangus":32kurrny said:
Not wanting to hijack but after corn is picked can you cut the stalks and bale them??? Would the hay be worth anything?

Absolutely, and you bet it is! Lots of folks around here winter cattle on corn stalks - baled or standing. Throw up an electric fence, put out a protein tub or two - depending on how many cows you're running on them, supplement with a little hay during snow storms, and they are in good shape come spring. The only thing you have to worry about when grazing cattle on corn stalks is how much corn is left in the field after harvesting because it can bloat them very easily.

Most combines today are like vacume cleaners. Unless they have a break down and don't clean up good or they spill while loading trucks etc, its not a huge issue. Something to watch for though. Also if you have them full before you dump em out will help.

deenranch":25rempm5 said:
I just sold some of my cows, so I could keep what little grass I have... I'm gonna feed lots of cubes and cake this winter... I know they won't be in good shape coming out but I don't see how it is economical to buy hay at the prices it is. I've seen 4x5's for $110 already (costal). I will have to buy some to feed bulls and a few replacements....
Knew on ol' fellow during the last drought that sold about 3000 rolls of hay and then fed his cattle 10 lbs. of 20% cubes every day. Was able to let go two full time employees that did nothing but put out hay all the time, park the tractors...bought him a cube feeder wagon and did his own feeding. Said he had the best calf crop he had ever had and the cows looked good as well...just not as "full" as they would have wnated to be but they were able to get some pickings off the fields.

deenranch":37p3ei6z said:
$110??? You can buy all the 4x5s you want here in Grayson county for $40. Coastal/ryegrass mix. Send me a pm and rent you a lowboy

TexasBred":gd1fdm6u said:
deenranch":gd1fdm6u said:
Knew on ol' fellow during the last drought that sold about 3000 rolls of hay and then fed his cattle 10 lbs. of 20% cubes every day. Was able to let go two full time employees that did nothing but put out hay all the time, park the tractors...bought him a cube feeder wagon and did his own feeding. Said he had the best calf crop he had ever had and the cows looked good as well...just not as "full" as they would have wnated to be but they were able to get some pickings off the fields.

I love hearing those type of stories TXBred. :)

Just an example:

Origin or Current Location of Hay: SEARCY, AR
Hay type: Bermuda
Bale Type: Big Round
Binding: Net Wrap
Quantity Available: 1000
Price: 25.00 per bale

You can find hay at a decent cost --just look for it.

Origin or Current Location of Hay: Ragley, Louisiana
Hay type: Bermuda
Bale Type: Big Round
Binding: Sissal Twine
Quantity Available: 500
Price: 45.00 per bale
4x5 2011 jiggs bermuda 45 dollars. 4x5 Bahia 40 dollars. 4x5 Mixed grass cow hay 35 dollars. 4x5 brown top millet 35 dollars.

http://www.hayexchange.com

JS

Latest posts