Questions about hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Then depending on where you live add $40--$60 a ton to that price for freight to get it delivered. No bargain there. Those those descriptions..."Big Round". All a man needs to know. :lol2:

A "big round" bale is usually a 5 x 6' bale, and will weigh between about 1,000 and 1,300 lbs average for bermuda or equivalent grass hay. A 5 x 6' bale will contain close to 2X as much hay as a 4x5' bale, based on cubic feet of hay in the bales. Thus, given this example $40 for a 4x5 bale will translate to $60 to 80. a bale for the 5x6. It also depends on how tight the bale is rolled...for weights.

This season, we're paying $80 for a 5x6 bale plus $8.50 a bale for a semi-load (34 bales) of quality protein weed free bermuda hay trucked in from 60 miles away. Relate that to trucking in from out of state, etc., considering the outrageous diesel prices now.

Running Arrow Bill":39v6hdtz said:
A "big round" bale is usually a 5 x 6' bale, and will weigh between about 1,000 and 1,300 lbs average for bermuda or equivalent grass hay. A 5 x 6' bale will contain close to 2X as much hay as a 4x5' bale, based on cubic feet of hay in the bales. Thus, given this example $40 for a 4x5 bale will translate to $60 to 80. a bale for the 5x6. It also depends on how tight the bale is rolled...for weights.

This season, we're paying $80 for a 5x6 bale plus $8.50 a bale for a semi-load (34 bales) of quality protein weed free bermuda hay trucked in from 60 miles away. Relate that to trucking in from out of state, etc., considering the outrageous diesel prices now.

bill
i'm not too far from you in king co. who are you getting hay from ?
i sure need some.

Hate to disappoint you... :( Our producer South of here is only getting 1/3 to 1/2 his normal crop this year in spite of irrigation and fertilizing. He is not sure WE will even get our full order that we "ordered" in December last year. He recently said he is not taking any new customers this year. Not sure what we'll do if we don't get our full order...

We've had several bad experiences with hay suppliers over the past 10 years. One of our "local" suppliers several years ago pushed off some very marginal hay for gouged prices that turned out to be low protein despite his claims. He lost thousands of $$ of business from us due to his misrepresentations...

There is a supplier in the Lubbock area that we bought some wheat hay and alfalfa from several years ago. Think his last name was Brisco. Hay was decent at that time for our emergency purchase. Several years ago we bought some alleged "quality" bermuda from a large operation in Arkansas. The last 2 loads contained toxic herbicide residue that ultimately blinded & killed 2 of our horses and 2 or 3 of our cows, according to extensive Vet workups and lab tests. Also, several years we got a semi-load of orchard grass/alfalfa mix from Manitoba, Canada from a large farm...ended up costing LESS than another local supplier was selling us during another hay shortage.

On another note...

Being on US 83, we see several semi-loads of large square bales of alfalfa going South. My guess is that this hay is coming from either New Mexico or Colorado since I-40 is close by and then there is I-25 that is a good route. Might check on Google for suppliers in those States.

I can't imagine that those semis are coming from Oregon or Washington...dang hauling costs would cost more than the hay!

I figure the bales in Searcy Ark is only 4 ft wide. Could be 4x5 but likely 4x5.5. TB ole Ed has them high powered simmental cows that perform on the air they breath.

Running Arrow Bill":3d7bsi6y said:

Wow. I can't believe I've always just assumed a 5x6 was 1.5X a 4x5 as 30 is 1.5 of 20. But... Duh, calculating surface area doesn't cut it. To compare, you have to calculate the VOLUME of the cylindrical prism.

V= pi x r^2 x h

For a 5 x 6
V= 3.14 x (2.5^2) x 6 = 3.14 x 6.25 x 6 = 117.25 cubic ft

For a 4 x 5
V= 3.14 x (2^2) x 5 = 3.14 x 4 x 5 = 62.8 cubic ft

Thanks, Bill! :clap:
http://illuminations.nctm.org/LessonDetail.aspx?id=L783

MF135":2tlyem43 said:
Running Arrow Bill":2tlyem43 said:

Wow. I can't believe I've always just assumed a 5x6 was 1.5X a 4x5 as 30 is 1.5 of 20. But... Duh, calculating surface area doesn't cut it. To compare, you have to calculate the VOLUME of the cylindrical prism.

V= pi x r^2 x h

For a 5 x 6
V= 3.14 x (2.5^2) x 6 = 3.14 x 6.25 x 6 = 117.25 cubic ft
the radius of a 5x6 bale is 3 not 2.5, 5 ft is the width and 6 ft is the diameter
For a 4 x 5
V= 3.14 x (2^2) x 5 = 3.14 x 4 x 5 = 62.8 cubic ft
the radius of a 4x5 bale is 2.5 not 2, 4 ft is the width 5ft is the diameter
Thanks, Bill! :clap:
http://illuminations.nctm.org/LessonDetail.aspx?id=L783

Red Bull Breeder":20dqcj5t said:
I figure the bales in Searcy Ark is only 4 ft wide. Could be 4x5 but likely 4x5.5. TB ole Ed has them high powered simmental cows that perform on the air they breath.

:lol2: :nod: :lol2:

I always prefer to buy online hay and straw from well experienced seller. Thorogood's is known for the best set of hay and straw.

I sold 3x3x8 med sq Corn Stalk bales for $55 ton this fall and plowed under more than I sold.
We were lucky with timely rains and had above average yields this year...fingers crossed for next.
They tested 5% protien 18% moisture 44 adf 70 ndf 50% tdn [.4 calcium .15 p book value]

Son of Butch":2tfllfuc said:
I sold 3x3x8 med sq Corn Stalk bales for $55 ton this fall and plowed under more than I sold.
We were lucky with timely rains and had above average yields this year...fingers crossed for next.
They tested 5% protien 18% moisture 44 adf 70 ndf 50% tdn [.4 calcium .15 p book value]
Man you socked it to somebody. I haven't even seen any corn stalks baled here in Central Texas. Those stalks are going to require some heavy duty supplementation as they're little more than filler.

That's what corn stalks are for... bedding or filler.
Last week at local sales barn 5x5 round corn stalk bales were $19 each. [aprox $60 ton]
3x3x8 wheat straw bales sold for $88 ton
5x5 round bales Timothy grass mix hay testing 6.98% pro 15.4% moisture & 84 RFV sold for $115 ton
4x5 round net wrapped Orchard grass mix 15.4% pro 16% ms & 125 RFV was $170 ton

Dairy Hay
3x3x8 3rd crop alfalfa hay 21.3% pro 12.5% ms & 171 RFV sold for $330 ton
So welcome to 2013 prices. :deadhorse:

Son of Butch":2obj7hr6 said:
That's what corn stalks are for... bedding or filler.
Last week at local sales barn 5x5 round corn stalk bales were $19 each. [aprox $60 ton]
3x3x8 wheat straw bales sold for $88 ton
5x5 round bales Timothy grass mix hay testing 6.98% pro 15.4% moisture & 84 RFV sold for $115 ton
4x5 round net wrapped Orchard grass mix 15.4% pro 16% ms & 125 RFV was $170 ton

Dairy Hay
3x3x8 3rd crop alfalfa hay 21.3% pro 12.5% ms & 171 RFV sold for $330 ton
So welcome to 2013 prices. :deadhorse:
We'll your either in a totally different market or have a lot of uninformed customers. Perhaps both.

Yes Tex, I'm in Minnesota. I'm kind of new on here and just noticed for some reason my location isn't listed.
We have a strong market for corn stalks as winter bedding and fiber for steers on full grain and protien pellets.
I guess comparing our markets is a bit like the old saying of comparing apples to oranges.....or perhaps in this case tumble weeds to snowballs. :nod: