Dehorning questions

Help Support CattleToday:

She looks Corriente to me. She has already had her horns trimmed before.
They were tipped for sure. I was almost going to leave her alone until she started showing her a$$.
She will NOT be the boss cow. Only one over there that would've had horn.

Maybe angus/Corriente cross? She's almost 1000lbs. Most Corriente I see are not that large. Like 600-750lbs.

I may go ahead and keep these two for a calf or 3. The calves should pretty much pay for the cows.

They were tipped for sure. I was almost going to leave her alone until she started showing her a$$.
She will NOT be the boss cow. Only one over there that would've had horn.

Maybe angus/Corriente cross? She's almost 1000lbs. Most Corriente I see are not that large. Like 600-750lbs.

I may go ahead and keep these two for a calf or 3. The calves should pretty much pay for the cows.
There are black Corriente, as well as solid in other colors. I was just going by how what was left of her horns looked. Mature Corr cows can reach the 800's, sometimes 900. If you use a black polled bull, she will raise you the same kind of calf a polled cow would. I would keep her and raise c;lves off her too, if I had her. I would have left her horns, but that is just me. You did good...she will make you money

There are black Corriente, as well as solid in other colors. I was just going by how what was left of her horns looked. Mature Corr cows can reach the 800's, sometimes 900. If you use a black polled bull, she will raise you the same kind of calf a polled cow would. I would keep her and raise c;lves off her too, if I had her. I would have left her horns, but that is just me. You did good...she will make you money
I need to get off my duff and call a couple folks. There is some black hereford breeders near me. I really. Really like the baldy calves.

My hereford bull seemed to do a good job keeping the extra ear at bay. But being red, I get color. I'm on the hunt for a homo black hereford. But he MUST be GOOD!
My next option I like is a blaze face Sim

I need to get off my duff and call a couple folks. There is some black hereford breeders near me. I really. Really like the baldy calves.

My hereford bull seemed to do a good job keeping the extra ear at bay. But being red, I get color. I'm on the hunt for a homo black hereford. But he MUST be GOOD!
My next option I like is a blaze face Sim
There are a couple of FB groups for Black Hereford, with cattle for sale and auction notices on them. These days, there are registered Black Herefords that are 61/64ths Hereford. 95.3% Hereford. More Hereford than Simms are Simmental or Limousines are Limousines. Just have to make sure they are homozygous for black and there are some of those 95 percenters that are, I have found BH breeders in Missouri and Arkansas, but not Oklahoma . But that don't mean there aren't any.

@MurraysMutts Just make sure you are buying the bull for the right reason. I have yet to see one of those black Herefords add the performance a bulls should add. I know it's fun to talk about but do you want a novelty item or a money maker?
Agreed!
I want GOOD black baldy calves. As even as I can get em with my mutt cows that I like so much.
Might be a tough combo to achieve regardless of the bull I get?

I also get that there's something to all black calves all alike. But I personally like the slight differences in baldy calves.

Agreed!
I want GOOD black baldy calves. As even as I can get em with my mutt cows that I like so much.
Might be a tough combo to achieve regardless of the bull I get?

I also get that there's something to all black calves all alike. But I personally like the slight differences in baldy calves.
I get it. I love them too buy you are leaving pounds and dollars on the table doing it with the bull. Find you some cows that will give you baldies with a good BA bull while you are cashing checks. 😄

I get it. I love them too buy you are leaving pounds and dollars on the table doing it with the bull. Find you some cows that will give you baldies with a good BA bull while you are cashing checks. 😄
Gotta ask, why don't think a black Hereford can do the job? Is that any BH bull, or are you just advising caution and to be sure it's a good bull? Black baldies sell for top dollar wherever I've been as long as they are the right kind.

Gotta ask, why don't think a black Hereford can do the job? Is that any BH bull, or are you just advising caution and to be sure it's a good bull? Black baldies sell for top dollar wherever I've been as long as they are the right kind.
It's partly the overemphasis of a breed vs performance in the discussion. It's partly the fact that I have yet to see a good black Hereford bull on here or any where else.

I'm about functionality not theory. Show me the results. I don't care about breeds. Show me quality cattle raising quality calves.

It's partly the overemphasis of a breed vs performance in the discussion. It's partly the fact that I have yet to see a good black Hereford bull on here or any where else.

I'm about functionality not theory. Show me the results. I don't care about breeds. Show me quality cattle raising quality calves.
That makes sense... and I'm sure there are people out there that are jumping on the bandwagon early in order to capitalize on the demand they believe will become high. A lot of them will be people that don't know what a decent animal looks like, much less anything about performance traits or breeding for purpose. Some of their animals will be accidently great. They might not even know it among all their mediocre animals.

On the other hand there will be people that know what they're doing and will be producing quality.

But then, that's the trick with any breeding program. Finding the right bull for the job you have for it.

The other thing to remember is there is a good chance you will not get those pretty blaze faced, baldies. With not knowing the background on your cows, there is a good chance some will have a lot of chrome and basically look just like the black Hereford.

Those pretty blaze faced calves that sell good any where are twice removed from a Hereford. If they have too much white you will REALLY take a butt woopin on them.

In my breed (and probably most herds) everyone LOVES a blaze face.
But.....if you breed a cow with chrome (even just the face), to a bull with white....you get waayy more chrome then you bargained for.
Here's one out of solid black cow, with a white star and a bald face bull. This is VERY common.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1698705926299.jpg
    FB_IMG_1698705926299.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 3
Obviously, Simmental has a spotting gene which is recessive. So, for this calf to have body spots, both parents must have been a carrier.
This is an extreme example, but you will get white socks, bellie and tail....along with the pretty white face.

I have never been impressed with Black Herefords. They have an inconsistent color pattern that just looks odd to me. I like the F1 Hereford-Angus cross (Just enough white on the face to catch you eye). I have never figured out the phenotype that they are shooting for, Angus, Hereford, or something in between?

I have never been impressed with Black Herefords. They have an inconsistent color pattern that just looks odd to me. I like the F1 Hereford-Angus cross (Just enough white on the face to catch you eye). I have never figured out the phenotype that they are shooting for, Angus, Hereford, or something in between?
Where are you seeing these registered Black Herefords with inconsistent pattern? All I have ever seen, or seen pics or videos of, have the exact same patterns as red Herefords. The pheno type is Hereford, same as the red ones. To be registered black Hereford, it must be at least 5/8ths Hereford and no more than 3/8ths Angus. However,. they can be bred to a registered Hereford, and if the calf is black i0t can be regfistered as black Hereford. There are BH out there that are 95% red Hereford, much more Hereford than some Simms.,Lims and Gelbeivs are their respective breeds.

We haven't had any horns to deal with in years. We got some jerseys and the calves were in need of dehorning. Also a graft holstein came with horns. The first jersey calf was taken to the vet because I didn't want to use paste in flooding rains so she was bigger (3 months or so) when she was dehorned. It became obvious fairly quickly the dehorning wasn't completed. She used a scoop and then cauterize the horns where there was blood. I noticed it appeared she had left a lot of horn on one side and some on the other but I thought she knew what she was doing and it would all fall off during healing. I contacted her a few weeks later and she seemed unconcerned and that she would most likely have scurs and that I could pay again to have her dehorned if I wanted. A few more months later one horn was basically a full horn (just shorter than it would have been) and growing normally again and the other was a part of a horn also seemed to be growing normally just 1/2 as wide. The vet seemed unconcerned about them and we didn't trust her to do it again. We certainly didn't have interest in paying twice. So I bought a dehorning iron and researched how to do the nerve block (which the vet did but the heifer sure fought the dehorning) and set out on the graft steer. It was a night and day experience. He didn't even blink. I didn't have to tie his head or anything. He went off like nothing really had happened. His dehorning has been a success. He never even acted uncomfortable where as the heifer was clearly uncomfortable for near 2 weeks at least. He was only a month old though. The heifer I redid at around 7 month old. She also didn't even need restraint once the nerve block kicked in. One side was very easy and was quickly healed and successful. The other (the much bigger horn) was more of a challenge as the dehorner I had bought was to small for that horn. I was able to get around the entire thing carefully but there was still a bigger piece of horn left after popping off the cap. I was pretty worried it really needed scooping but a few weeks after the other horn scab had come off the chunk of horn came off and she's now perfectly dehorned. I will no longer wait and will do them myself in the future. I wasted time and money by not doing it myself. I know our experience isn't normal. I am sure most vets can successfully do a dehorning. I will no longer do paste. I hope to never have to do larger horns but if I did I would nerve block, scoop and cauterize. In the case of super large horns I think the dehorner @MurraysMutts got and a hot iron to cauterize would probably be ideal. I would nerve block if at all possible.
You have nailed it. In my opinion successful dehorning depends on four factors: (1) Proper restraint; (2) Nerve block (which is very easy); (3) Removing a ring of skin at the base of the horn; and (4) Control of haemorrhage, either by cautery or by pulling out the arteries (usually those at the base of the horn) with artery forceps. Although now long retired, I dehorned hundreds of animals, usually between 6 months and 18 months, and rarely had any trouble.

My biggest issue with black Herefords are that many of the foundation animals are msud carriers.