Question for hereford breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
I freshened out 50 real good black heifers that weighed around 1100 at freshening and are good milkers. I like black baldy cattle and I like my cows to be heavy milkers. I am toying with the idea of breeding these blacks to a hereford bull to get the black baldies to keep for mama cows and I wanted to ask the hereford breeders what lines of herefords I should look at to keep the frame and also increase milk production in looking for a hereford bull to put with these cows. I want a bull that will pass on an increase in the already good milking ability of the cows I have. If I buy young bulls, I will have to buy a couple, and that is probably all that will be available, AI is not an option. Thanks

What frame size are you wanting? Are you willing to use a horned Hereford?

Flying G Ranch of Sand Springs, OK would be my recommendation for polled Herefords. They have a blend of mostly Victor cattle, with a few Star Lake cows. They are running a HVH Hudson bull as senior herdsire. He has some Feltons on the top side, and has MSU Optimum Z03 close back in his pedigree, as well as some King Ten. They have a young bull from SHF in Kansas I believe, and a Victor bull from a well-liked operation in Kentucky, JMS of Knifley. Last I knew, they still had a couple of yearling bulls. For years they used a grandson of Feltons 517, OSU Baltic.

It's no secret that I really endorse Richard Day's cattle when it comes to horned Herefords. Roff/Sulphur Ok area is the location. PM me with questions.

You might try giving one of these guys a call. They are all in your area if I'm not mistaken. I've seen cattle from all of them. All have very nice herds and produce some nice bulls that would probably work for you.

Journagan Ranch
Owners: Leo and Jean Journagan
Mountain Grove
Manager: Marty Lueck
Phone 417-948-2669
E-mail: [email protected]

3D Cattle Company
Owners: Pete Denslow, Greg Dimberg, Mike Denslow and Family
Phone: 417-445-3152
Manager: Pete Denslow Cell: 417-326-9177
2150 E 443rd Road
Halfway, MO 65663

JIM & CARLA BELLIS
AURORA MO
Telephone: 417-678-5467
Email: [email protected]

Stocky
I am headed up to Iowa on the 13th to pick up our second horned hereford from Wiese and Sons. Check out their web site. Wiese and Sons, Good Doin' Bulls. If you want me to bring one back I will.

I would look at PW P606 or Victor 103T sons for good milk quanity. Their registrations numbers are 24020737 and 22970146. You can easily find P606 sons , however make sure that you consider their dams milking ability. P606 also has a poor calving ease epd and his sons may also pocess that trait. P606 does make great cows so some of his sons should to.

El_Putzo":1ilr1pe7 said:
You might try giving one of these guys a call. They are all in your area if I'm not mistaken. I've seen cattle from all of them. All have very nice herds and produce some nice bulls that would probably work for you.

Journagan Ranch
Owners: Leo and Jean Journagan
Mountain Grove
Manager: Marty Lueck
Phone 417-948-2669

3D Cattle Company
Owners: Pete Denslow, Greg Dimberg, Mike Denslow and Family
Phone: 417-445-3152
Manager: Pete Denslow Cell: 417-326-9177
2150 E 443rd Road
Halfway, MO 65663

JIM & CARLA BELLIS
AURORA MO
Telephone: 417-678-5467
Email: [email protected]

The Bellis family co-owns a bull, JDB Stewart, with an Oklahoma breeder. The bull is an own son of Feltons 517, has good accuracies, and sires sons that are near the top of the OBI bull test every year. He has low BW and high growth. I believe McDonald is the name of the OK breeder. I priced some of the sons a year or two ago, and they were fairly reasonable private treaty before they went on test. Good recommendations, James.

Latest posts