question about questions

Help Support CattleToday:

9 ER

Reaction score
This is for all you veterans/gurus out there. What is the most common question that you have been asked about the cattle business? And, I dont want to say dumbest, because there is no such thing. But, what is the question that made you smile and shake your head in disbelief?

The question that came inbtomy head was this one.
I was reading an essay on beef cattle, and someone put their hand up. So I had to answer this question. What is a cow, and what does it look like????!!!!! These kids were in grade 7!

I think the most common one i get asked is how much does a cow bring when you sell it. And does cwt mean cow weight?

At the fairs the first question is always "do cows bite?'

When I was showing dairy cattle someone always wanted to know if the brown cows gave chocolate milk.

Those are probably the ones I get most often.

Most common - Do only Bulls have horns?

Most Unusual - Had someone try to tell me that Longhorns can only have one or two calves because the large horns tear up the insides of the cows. I had politely showed him a calf that was a couple days old, and showed him that they dont have horns at birth.

certherfbeef said:
At the fairs the first question is always "do cows bite?'

We worked cows and calves all week last week and sold about 15 old cows. anyway, dad had to go get some penicillin out of the fridge so during the downtime the hired hand told me "..that one cow, she tried to bite me.." i just chuckled.

those are head-shakers alright. I especially like the one about the chocolate milk. The one I get sometimes is, How do know if they are boys or girls?

Hey Ryan, congrats on the Aggie victory over the Longhorns last night in men's basketball. I'm a longhorn fan myself!

One I heard was "How old does a steer have to be to breed a cow?"

On Sidebar: Excusing the asphalt/concrete scenery of the large cities, where kids may have never seen "country", it really makes me wonder what the schools and teachers are teaching? Anything worthwhile and practical/common sense other than how to get the kids to pass those national exams???: a/k/a "Teach The Test" Thank God for our teachers in the rural areas who have some everyday common sense instruction!

With our global information, internet, media, etc., how anyone could miss some of these issues (e.g., difference between cow & bull, what does a cow look like, etc.) totally amazes me. Perhaps those kids (no thanks to their parents or teachers) are all brain dead from video games, X-Men, drugs, and other forms of cartoon education.... :roll:

hey running arrow bill, ease up on us teachers. We do the best we can. Just like you are judged by the grade of your cows, we are judged by the grade on them tests! Kids get their education in many ways. I bet those rural kids did not learn the difference between cattle in school. They grew up around it. Just like the kids I teach know how to survive under some adverse situations because their dad is in jail or their mom is on drugs.Rural common sence and city common sence are two completly different things!!
I have kids that live 10 miles from downtown Houston that have never been to downtown Houston much less the country. Do you think that all kids are middle class with 2 parents and they live in a 3 bedroom house with computers and internet. Not where I teach. So before you start bashing someones profession, understand that to some people, having milk to drink and meat to eat is more important than where it comes from!!!

Hope that with a name "Running Arrow" that you are of Indian decent, cause if not you are offending me since I'm Osage!

Not the most common - but certainly an interesting conversation.

Wore my old pointy boots and a pretty nice suit to an office in a big city just east of me. This brings a lot of funny looks from those Montreal city types.

Little girl from an eastern country comes to me and asks if I am a cowboy. She then asks if I have ever seen a cow up close for real. Next question is have I ever touched a cow?

My favourite: Are cows as smart as dogs? (Sometimes I wonder myself!)

Do have a horse? Is their fur soft?

Seems she lives on the top floor of one of those commercial chicken coops for people.

In the morning she gets in an elevator and goes to the ground floor - gets in a taxi and goes to work. At night she reverse the procedure and beds down in that chicken coop for people.

She has never lived in a place where there were no lights. Asked me if I ever got lost in the dark.

She was born on concrete, lives in concrete and will likely never get off of concrete.

I guess it takes all types.

Bez

what the schools and teachers are teaching? Anything worthwhile and practical/common sense other than how to get the kids to pass those national exams???: a/k/a "Teach The Test"

THOSE TEST SCORES DETERMINE IF PEOPLE GET TO KEEP THEIR JOBS!!!! YOU CAN THANK GOV. PERRY AND "No child left behind". THOSE TEST AND PROGRAMS ARE DESTROYING THE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM, NOT THE TEACHERS! WE WORK OUR BUTTS OFF TRYING TO DO THE BEST WE CAN SO UNTIL YOU WORK A DAY IN MY SHOES, QUIT BASHING A PROFESSION YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

Perhaps those kids (no thanks to their parents or teachers) are all brain dead

It's the teachers fought that kids today are generally lazy and dont care about anything? Wake up, this is not the 60's anymore. Wally and The Beaver have graduated.

9 ER":1251v4ni said:
what the schools and teachers are teaching? Anything worthwhile and practical/common sense other than how to get the kids to pass those national exams???: a/k/a "Teach The Test"

THOSE TEST SCORES DETERMINE IF PEOPLE GET TO KEEP THEIR JOBS!!!! YOU CAN THANK GOV. PERRY AND "No child left behind". THOSE TEST AND PROGRAMS ARE DESTROYING THE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM, NOT THE TEACHERS! WE WORK OUR BUTTS OFF TRYING TO DO THE BEST WE CAN SO UNTIL YOU WORK A DAY IN MY SHOES, QUIT BASHING A PROFESSION YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

It's the teachers fought that kids today are generally lazy and dont care about anything? Wake up, this is not the 60's anymore. Wally and The Beaver have graduated.

Around here "No Child Left Behind" is better known as "No School Left Open". Everything I teach must be cross-referenced with Missouri's Show-Me Standards. If it's not in the Standards, I had better not get caught wasting valuable time teaching it! What is in the Standards? The things on the test the kids must pass! But that is what happens when you let bureaucrats set guidelines and laws for things most of them know nothing about.

fit2btied":38h6fsmt said:
9 ER":38h6fsmt said:

Around here "No Child Left Behind" is better known as "No School Left Open". Everything I teach must be cross-referenced with Missouri's Show-Me Standards. If it's not in the Standards, I had better not get caught wasting valuable time teaching it! What is in the Standards? The things on the test the kids must pass! But that is what happens when you let bureaucrats set guidelines and laws for things most of them know nothing about.
I agree too. What we learn in school is important, but we also need to learn other stuff. You don't learn how to pull a calf, in school. You don't learn how to do many things. The things we learn isimportant, but there is many things that school can't teach us. I can't side with anyone in this argument. You need to learn math, but you must also learn about what is around you.

Latest posts