Question about cookware

Help Support CattleToday:

Hippie Rancher":sg3v39f0 said:
CAST IRON. Trust your grandma on this, not DuPont.

I have a small 8 incher that is for eggs only, it is better than any cheap teflon coated piece of junk.

I have a big 14 that is finally getting seasoned right after I bitc*ed about it for 20 years (husband kept using DETERGENT on it instead of having a little patience and soaking in hot water and then never giving it its nighty night coating of crisco.

I also have my grandmother's everyday 10 incher that has an even better finish than my egg pan. It never even needs to soak, no matter what gets cooked in it can be wiped out with a paper towel.

Wait-wait-wait~~ Hubbywas washing the dishes for 20 years!! :shock: I love a man with dishpan hands! :heart: ;-) :lol: Does he have an older brother? :lol:

peg4x4":22n7jitl said:
I have a big 14 that is finally getting seasoned right after I bitc*ed about it for 20 years (husband kept using DETERGENT on it instead of having a little patience and soaking in hot water and then never giving it its nighty night coating of crisco.

My boss lady will do that with knives. Don't buy her any high quality carbon knives. She gets those cheap SS ones. No need to keep arguing about it. She's going to put it in the dishwasher no matter what I say.

peg4x4":wsg5jrfk said:
Wait-wait-wait~~ Hubbywas washing the dishes for 20 years!! :shock: I love a man with dishpan hands! :heart: ;-) :lol: Does he have an older brother? :lol:

He does his share, I will give him credit, and his share of cooking too. But in the case of that particular pan .. it weighs a ton! and if I have cooked with it then it would be his turn to wash it!

He does have an older brother, and somewhat recently single too, but not a country guy, and I don't know a thing about his domestic habits.

backhoeboogie":3ipqh8b0 said:
My boss lady will do that with knives. Don't buy her any high quality carbon knives. She gets those cheap SS ones. No need to keep arguing about it. She's going to put it in the dishwasher no matter what I say.

Yeah all my beautiful chicago cutley heavy knives have loose handles. I hate to see them go in the machine and I almost always just rinse and replace in the block, unless it is meat or something really sticky/messy. We compromised on that one and they only go in the machine for the last part of the second wash and the rinses. Not so hard to do when you fill the machine with a bucket :lol2:

We are on gravity and it is just shy of filling the dishwasher to the correct amount before the timer overrides the float.

We use a hose for the clothes washer. Low flow toilets and faucets? HA! we have a low flow system period, those things don't work at all.

myself i use cast iron,
my Mother bought some pans back in the 60's called Salad Master, they came out to the house and cooked up a demonstration, those have been the best pans ever, she still uses them today, and they still look like new.

since we camp a lot at the farm we use the iron pots[skillets dutch ovens and ironpots} i have iron skillets i use here at home some my grandmother gave me.. you cant beat them... and nothing better to make a big pan of fried potatoes... i never got very long out of teflon pans no mater how much i pd from them... had teenage girls cooking LOL
when amanda moved to columbus i bought her the wolfgang puck set.. really nice heavy cook where... as busy as she is w vet school im sure only one pan is used.. but im sure the microwave has got a work out..
every now and then i find a great skillet at an auction.... woo hoooo LOL

Hmmm...Wolfgang Puck pans. Now that's something I should probably put on my Christmas wish list.

Nobody would buy me cast iron, because they know I would drop on my toe! :lol:

Of course, what I'll probably get is a new calf puller. Kinda hard to fit that in a stocking, tho. :roll:

I have both stainless and cast iron.
Got a nice little 6" that I can get a good swing on and the husband moves rather quickly for the door when I grab that one. :lol:

Latest posts