Quail hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
I went quail hunting Saturday. I only had one .22 shell. I decided I'd just take 1 quail to eat since I was the only one at home. I walked out in the edge of the lot and low and behold a covy of twelve was sitting on the barb wire fence. I lined up down the wire and shot my only shot. Killed 11 with that one shot. The twelvth one turned to look back as he flew away and flew into a tree and killed himself so I got the whole covey. Am I lucky or not?

:shock: :lol: very lucky :p

ctlbaron... let me give a heads up if you decide to take up fishing... get a big boat. you will need it for all the fish you will probably catch.. :lol:

jt

That ain't nothin ctlbaron! I had a bird dog that would chase a covey in a hole, put his foot over the hole and let 'em out one at a time so we could shoot em'. Trained him myself too! ;-)

Why he was so good, he walked in the barbershop with me one Sat. morning and locked up on the guy in the first chair. After 15 minutes of wondering why he pointed that guy we finally figured it out. The man introduced himself to me as "ROBERT WHITE".

Yeah well,I went duck hunting the other day,only took one shell,shot the duck in the front of the "V",as he was falling I ran as fast as I could to where it was going to hit,I opened up a gunny sack wide, caught him and the whole flock followed him right in!

Ctlbaron, you are not lucky, you are wasteful. I had you figured for an alright type of fellow. But now??

Turkey Run, I hope you followed "catch and release" for those you didn't need.

Ryder":hh5k9uc5 said:
Ctlbaron, you are not lucky, you are wasteful. I had you figured for an alright type of fellow. But now??

Turkey Run, I hope you followed "catch and release" for those you didn't need.

it's called a fridge and freezer, that's his food for the next week. No waste about it.

Last Saturday was July 30. Is quail season open in July in your state? I think you just admitted to the whole world to taking game birds out of season. The game warden will be by with the ticket later.
Dave

The boys and I went fishing last weekend. There we was, just sittin on the bank watchin the dragonflies. All of a sudden I snagged onto something. Had a heck of a time getting my line back in. When we pulled it out, turns out I was hooked on a kerosene lantern. My youngest son noticed that it was kind of like glowing a little. I wiped the mud and slime off a bit with my shirt tail and danged if it wasn't still lit.

two thoughts on the quail story, either it is a pretty good made up story, or if it is true, it is a pretty sad tale of a quail slaughter, not quail hunting. quail season wasnt open, no ethical quail hunter kills a covey down below 8 birds because it takes at least 5 to be able to covey up to stay safe and warm in the winter and there will be a few lost to predators and no ethical quail hunter shoots quail on the ground or sitting---sure hope that was a pretty good made up story.

When I got back from duck hunting,I decided to go fishing.I hooked a fish and he was pulling the whole boat round and round the pond, I kept reeling, he kept stripping line.After about forty-five minutes I saw my swivel come out of the water,I looked down and saw a big eye looking at me,I turned and looked on the other side of the boat and there was another big eye looking at me.I knew I did'nt have enough room in my freezer [whole flock of ducks takes up some room]for a fish that size so I just reached down and cut my line.

Dave, I am the game warden. Great stories guys. Thanks, Beefy,Turkey Run,Chuck,Ryder,Mike C,Jake and Stocky. I know if I can get you guys going I will hear some good ones I haven't heard.

Roll up the pantslegs boys, it's too late to save the shoes.......

Dick

I had to stop some family members from fishing in my catfish pond a few weeks back.

Everytime they pulled a fish out the pond water level would drop a foot.

Had to save some for the cows to stand in.

Ya'll are just plain lucky with all this huntin and fishin going on that you haven't sighted a big cat ;-) :lol:

My ponds gone. Last winter the ducks froze while in it. They all started flapping at once and flew off with the whole pond. They were headed south, I hope it was put to good use.

Bama":q38c6ki0 said:
My ponds gone. Last winter the ducks froze while in it. They all started flapping at once and flew off with the whole pond. They were headed south, I hope it was put to good use.

Took all the fish too?

I've heard ya'll talk about bird dogs and such but let me tell you about a coon hound we had. Best coon dog I ever seen. You could set out a streching board and ol Dan would go tree a coon to fit that board. Had him for years. Then one day Mama proped up the ironing board on the wall on the porch. Ain't seen ol Dan since. I guess he's still looking.

Latest posts