Pushing calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":1papczvy said:
True Grit Farms":1papczvy said:
https://www.etschool.com/instructor.asp
No he is not certified, but he adverages 45% between fresh and frozen transfers.

Vince,

Thanks for that link. Dr. R. Peter Elsden knows Dr. James Spears. Dr. Spears also served on The American Embryo Transfer Association. Dr. Spears was a professor and is a personal friend. In one of the classes I took under Dr. Spears, we performed Embryo Transfers on mice.

Dr. Spears got his PhD at the University of Kentucky in Reproductive Physiology. He taught at Morehead State University while I was there. He still practices out of Franklin Kentucky. I keep up with him on Facebook. If I were 10 years younger, I would get my certification in ET. I have done it on mice, I know I could do it on cows.

What does age have to do with it? You're a very fit and active individual with no apparent health issues.

Go for it!

TennesseeTuxedo":3dx9wxqu said:
Bright Raven":3dx9wxqu said:
True Grit Farms":3dx9wxqu said:
https://www.etschool.com/instructor.asp
No he is not certified, but he adverages 45% between fresh and frozen transfers.

Vince,

Thanks for that link. Dr. R. Peter Elsden knows Dr. James Spears. Dr. Spears also served on The American Embryo Transfer Association. Dr. Spears was a professor and is a personal friend. In one of the classes I took under Dr. Spears, we performed Embryo Transfers on mice.

Dr. Spears got his PhD at the University of Kentucky in Reproductive Physiology. He taught at Morehead State University while I was there. He still practices out of Franklin Kentucky. I keep up with him on Facebook. If I were 10 years younger, I would get my certification in ET. I have done it on mice, I know I could do it on cows.

What does age have to do with it? You're a very fit and active individual with no apparent health issues.

Go for it!

Thank you for the encouragement. It would take me away from my cattle. I am pretty content.

Bright Raven":3bba8ft8 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3bba8ft8 said:
Bright Raven":3bba8ft8 said:
Vince,

Go for it!

Thank you for the encouragement. It would take me away from my cattle. I am pretty content.
I agree with that, there's something wrong with people that pick, choose and cull through their cattle and then stick a embryo in them. You seem like the type of person that has the time and would enjoy the challenges. I've pretty much convinced myself to stick with what I'm doing. Dollar wise after the smoke and mirrors, I do as good on heifers per head as John. He does make more on his bull sales than I do on my steers. But I've been exploring different marketing and breeding strategies to help me on the commercial side. And if you figure time in per dollar out, I wear him out on. Heck I even get to drive the truck and strut around at the bulls sales, cowboy hat and all trying my best to sell his bulls.

Grit - just back tracking on the statement of 4 services being 100 days. If service 1 was on day 1, then day 22, 43, 64. And, actually, if they were heifers (in my herd anyway), I would be looking at 1, 19, 37, 55 because probably 95% of my heifers have a 17 - 29 day cycle.
But, you are right, if you had the opportunity to get 4 tries in, they probably are not going to settle with AI (or embryos).

Let's get a picture of you in your cowboy hat.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1hppw0oh said:
Grit - just back tracking on the statement of 4 services being 100 days. If service 1 was on day 1, then day 22, 43, 64. And, actually, if they were heifers (in my herd anyway), I would be looking at 1, 19, 37, 55 because probably 95% of my heifers have a 17 - 29 day cycle.
But, you are right, if you had the opportunity to get 4 tries in, they probably are not going to settle with AI (or embryos).

Let's get a picture of you in your cowboy hat.
Timed AI 7 day protocol, 7+21=28+21=49+21=70 days and 30 days to call one pregnant is my math.

Latest posts