Purebred Angus bulls without papers

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Bull Breeder said:
Branded you should fire up and have you a bull sale. You might get someone to pay you a half million for one. Don't take much just a little advertising. I got a Express spring bull sale catalog. 466 head of angus bull and 50 odd head of Hereford bulls sells March 1. Your a little duck in a big puddle, might need to adjust your hat size to fit the puddle your in.

I'm not running those numbers, that's true. The guy who brings cattle across the road from me to graze has around 1200-1400 head going at one time all over the county and elsewhere, really nice guy, but the genetics on that group and health of that group are a different story than what I'm running.

I use EXAR Denver and have some settled to him right now. I like Express! I like them a LOT!

We aren't a syndicate however, and we have no outside investors or shareholders. Big difference as things get bigger. Total control is a good feeling when things start to hum.

It's not fun explaining your operation OR your comments and philosophy to investors. Nothing wrong with syndicates AT ALL, that plan just doesn't work for me.

************* said:
I'm not running those numbers, that's true. The guy who brings cattle across the road from me to graze has around 1200-1400 head going at one time all over the county and elsewhere, really nice guy,

That guy don't have time to get on CT and brag about his sheit, but he's the guy makin' 750K a year. :lol: :lol:

jehosofat said:
************* said:
I'm not running those numbers, that's true. The guy who brings cattle across the road from me to graze has around 1200-1400 head going at one time all over the county and elsewhere, really nice guy,

That guy don't have time to get on CT and brag about his sheit, but he's the guy makin' 750K a year. :lol: :lol:
I thought that was a four donor cow income. Why all of the extra cows? Recips?

And what about genomics and enhanced EPDs? When will I know that the rainbow ends and the pot of gold begins? Translation from stoneman cow herder language: Why dodge the question when the method is toted?

We got two full days of rain last week. I've never seen that at my place. No one read any crying posts from me. We've still got several inches of mud around the place from it. Then, we got a dusting of snow today, so that'll add up. The humanity!

Also, I got something for free once. I've been to Sam's Club and Costco, so there's that. I just want everyone to know that I don't think that I'm better than you b/c of it.

Bestoutwest said:
We got two full days of rain last week. I've never seen that at my place. No one read any crying posts from me. We've still got several inches of mud around the place from it. Then, we got a dusting of snow today, so that'll add up. The humanity!

Also, I got something for free once. I've been to Sam's Club and Costco, so there's that. I just want everyone to know that I don't think that I'm better than you b/c of it.

11.21 inches of rain here since Jan 1, 2019. and it's still coming down. Cattle are eating hay like there is no tomorrow. Calving season will start for many around here in about 2-3 weeks. A lot of cows in the state have been eating moldy, low quality hay with little to no supplementation or minerals. Survival of the fittest will rule the day. There are a lot of producers that will have reason to cry if this persists. Contrary to what you may think on here, I feel somewhat bad about the situation, primarily for the animals themselves, not so much the owners that have the "your on your own, or are you werkin fer her, or is she werkin fer you" attitude. Instead of feeding more moldy hay to them at $85-100 a roll, I would be getting corn in them, trying to get their energy up enough to raise a calf. Imagine a calf nursing on a cow with the ribcage showing, and malnourished, when does momma get a break? When can she recover to settle again? How about bulls with foot rot? Wait till the fescue is going crazy in a month because of all the rain, the fertility rates will surely take a hit. The perfect storm is developing in the cattle business in Kentucky, that's why I said, most should fold that can't feed them right. It wasn't an insult, it was a fact. I also assume that if one is not feeding properly, there won't be any effort to repair fields or seed those that have been ravaged since last November. It's a vicious circle.

Now I know that many on here see me as uppity, who cares. What I'm going to say next is the truth. You laugh at the concept of epigenetics and fetal programming, but if you think that this upcoming calf crop is not going to have some serious stress built into them that will probably dial back weaning weights and future performance, or you think that fertility rates will magically be high because "that old girl will just pull a rabbit out of hat" I think many in KY will be in for a rude awakening. UK and Morehead won't say it as I will.

And to think, some of you guys consider what I'm saying as arrogant. I'm just wondering how such operations can stay functioning much longer. Lot's of people are thinking, what I'm actually SAYING.

How in the heck did this whole topic go from selling un-papered bulls, to whose herd is bigger than others, the state of Kentucky's cow herds and current weather? I do have to take umbrage with Woodhill dogging herd bulls. I got three bull calves laying on the ground right now, all three out of other producer's herd bulls. JVC Emulation from Crouthamel and two out of Rathbun Profile. Should I raise them and keep them to cover cows we miss on AI, I would have no issue keeping or selling progeny. To say I wouldn't says I don't think much of the cows I have purchased or produced. You are basically telling your customers, you don't think much of your own cattle and progeny. I'm not a huge fan of line breeding but I can see where doubling up the influence of a genetic line can create some very good cattle.......EXT obviously is an example. I've thought of using Werner War Party and then using a Bextor influenced bull on those daughters (Flat Top). But as I stated before Woodhill put together the program you want to, but don't I don't think anyone one is saying loud and clear, selling un-papered bull is a bad thing. Here soon we have heifer due to calf to Ten X and I don't like that bull and I'm thinking if it's a bull I won't steer him and sell him un-papered and one of my neighbors will get him on the cheap, but this bull should improve his herd and thus give my farm a little good will.

Hardly jealous. We have great facilities and very good commercial cattle. I consider myself lucky to have this life and blessed beyond measure to even be a part of it.

Your infamous SAV America could very well have been conceived in my chute. And that's all I got to say about that.

You might be on to something Branded, we have one calf that's weak and is being bottle fed. The cow has been a good one, at the top of her class for 8 calves, she'll make someone a good cow.
Branded, it's not what your saying isn't true, but you should mind your own dang business. We went to the Sheriff department to file an animal cruelty report a couple of years ago. Once we found out the story I helped haul and sell the old man's cows. I ended up buying 20 of them through the ring trying to help hold the price. I still have 6 of those cows in my herd.

NEFarmwife said:
Hardly jealous. We have great facilities and very good commercial cattle. I consider myself lucky to have this life and blessed beyond measure to even be a part of it.

Your infamous SAV America could very well have been conceived in my chute. And that's all I got to say about that.

I didn't know you owned him, nor that he was infamous.

True Grit Farms said:
You might be on to something Branded, we have one calf that's weak and is being bottle fed. The cow has been a good one, at the top of her class for 8 calves, she'll make someone a good cow.
Branded, it's not what your saying isn't true, but you should mind your own dang business. We went to the Sheriff department to file an animal cruelty report a couple of years ago. Once we found out the story I helped haul and sell the old man's cows. I ended up buying 20 of them through the ring trying to help hold the price. I still have 6 of those cows in my herd.

Some people need to know when to throw in the towel, even though it's not a pleasant end.

Every time I'm at the feed store I see the bags of powdered milk on the deck or someone is buying them at the counter. I would rather the cow raise the calf instead of me, she will do a better job.

CreekAngus said:
How in the heck did this whole topic go from selling un-papered bulls, to whose herd is bigger than others, the state of Kentucky's cow herds and current weather? I do have to take umbrage with Woodhill dogging herd bulls. I got three bull calves laying on the ground right now, all three out of other producer's herd bulls. JVC Emulation from Crouthamel and two out of Rathbun Profile. Should I raise them and keep them to cover cows we miss on AI, I would have no issue keeping or selling progeny. To say I wouldn't says I don't think much of the cows I have purchased or produced. You are basically telling your customers, you don't think much of your own cattle and progeny. I'm not a huge fan of line breeding but I can see where doubling up the influence of a genetic line can create some very good cattle.......EXT obviously is an example. I've thought of using Werner War Party and then using a Bextor influenced bull on those daughters (Flat Top). But as I stated before Woodhill put together the program you want to, but don't I don't think anyone one is saying loud and clear, selling un-papered bull is a bad thing. Here soon we have heifer due to calf to Ten X and I don't like that bull and I'm thinking if it's a bull I won't steer him and sell him un-papered and one of my neighbors will get him on the cheap, but this bull should improve his herd and thus give my farm a little good will.

TenX will almost always improve a herd in my opinion.

************* said:
11.21 inches of rain here since Jan 1, 2019. and it's still coming down. Cattle are eating hay like there is no tomorrow. Calving season will start for many around here in about 2-3 weeks. A lot of cows in the state have been eating moldy, low quality hay with little to no supplementation or minerals. Survival of the fittest will rule the day. There are a lot of producers that will have reason to cry if this persists. Contrary to what you may think on here, I feel somewhat bad about the situation, primarily for the animals themselves, not so much the owners that have the "your on your own, or are you werkin fer her, or is she werkin fer you" attitude. Instead of feeding more moldy hay to them at $85-100 a roll, I would be getting corn in them, trying to get their energy up enough to raise a calf. Imagine a calf nursing on a cow with the ribcage showing, and malnourished, when does momma get a break? When can she recover to settle again? How about bulls with foot rot? Wait till the fescue is going crazy in a month because of all the rain, the fertility rates will surely take a hit. The perfect storm is developing in the cattle business in Kentucky, that's why I said, most should fold that can't feed them right. It wasn't an insult, it was a fact. I also assume that if one is not feeding properly, there won't be any effort to repair fields or seed those that have been ravaged since last November. It's a vicious circle.

Now I know that many on here see me as uppity, who cares. What I'm going to say next is the truth. You laugh at the concept of epigenetics and fetal programming, but if you think that this upcoming calf crop is not going to have some serious stress built into them that will probably dial back weaning weights and future performance, or you think that fertility rates will magically be high because "that old girl will just pull a rabbit out of hat" I think many in KY will be in for a rude awakening. UK and Morehead won't say it as I will.

And to think, some of you guys consider what I'm saying as arrogant. I'm just wondering how such operations can stay functioning much longer. Lot's of people are thinking, what I'm actually SAYING.

It was a joke, you need lower the hackles a little. I don't think you're wrong on the effects that bad weather have on calves. I've read that it will affect whether or not you have heifers or bulls, but I can't remember the conditions for one or the other. As for the "working for her, or she's working for you" around here that's the prevailing attitude. We have a lot of folks that have cattle that range on the BLM land, which is junk. If she can't work there, she's useless.

I'll finish by not agreeing with your sentiment that folks are thinking what you're saying. The commercial cattleman is far from dead. There's a ton of little 20-50 head herds around here, and across America. We'll see what the tariffs do for things, but I think folks will figure it out.

haase said:
Well best I went to Walmart aren't they tied into Sam's, were does that leave me?

Anyone can walk into a Walmart, but not everyone is classy enough for Sam's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts