Purchasing Reg. Black Angus Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Len

Reaction score
I am talking to a Black Angus breeder about purchasing a quality reg. Black Angus Bull. The 2 yr old Traveler bull I like has the right traits that I seek in raising cattle. The EPD BW +4.9 seems high, which conerns me a little. This is my first bull purchase. I currently only have cows, no heifers. Are my concerns legit? Should I keep on looking? Thanks! Len

One that high could cause trouble with cows to. If you are dead set on getting him there are management things that you can employ to help with a high BW. To me I would look around some more. Not to stear you away from him but there are tons of good BL Angus bulls out there and surely you can find one that fits your program. I use nothing but Angus bulls now and know if you look hard you will find one you like.

Scotty

I don't have a scale, but they are fairly large cows; not the smaller black angus. One had a 76lbs bull calf 3 months ago and no problems. This is a small operation. Thanks! Len

in theory you shouldn't have any problems, what is the bull's CED EPD? that also might help in the decision. i wouldn't worry about it too much though.

Len":so4iztjw said:
I am talking to a Black Angus breeder about purchasing a quality reg. Black Angus Bull. The 2 yr old Traveler bull I like has the right traits that I seek in raising cattle. The EPD BW +4.9 seems high, which conerns me a little. This is my first bull purchase. I currently only have cows, no heifers. Are my concerns legit? Should I keep on looking? Thanks! Len

It's hard to say. I'ts been my experience that commercial cattlemen tend to shy away from Angus bulls with BW EPDs of 5 or more. I don't know if that's justified, but I try to keep my breedings below five because of their apparent concerns. On mature cows, an Angus bull with a BW EPD of 5 shouldn't be a problem. But remember he's only half the calf. The cow has as much influence as he does, plus your management program and calving season can also affect the size of a calf. Look at the cow's past history. What have you been breeding them to and how big were the calves at birth?

[/quote]
What have you been breeding them to and how big were the calves at birth?[/quote]

I bought 2 bred cows at a breeders sale last spring, one was AI with New Design and the other Data Bank. One had a 76lbs bull calf with no problems and the ther one lost hers, never brought to term. EPD BW on the cows are +.7 and +2.1.

i buy reg angus bulls every two years i have had a new design 036 son..... a scotch cap grandson.......i have had all kinds....if you look at epd's why buy a +5 bull unless he has a frame score really big if you look at weaning weight if you sell yours at weaning or yearling weight if you sell your at yearling you can find a bull that will have like a plus 1 and weaning weight or yearling weight will be the same or more then the plus 5 bull......not for sure but i bet your reg bull SELLER.wants to sell you that bull because he can't sell somewhere else

Latest posts