public water district rules ( question)

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Ok question. I found a Missouri statutes that I read as they must live in district to be on the board of directors.Am I reading this right

247.060. 1. The management of the business and affairs of the district is hereby vested in a board of directors, who shall have all the powers conferred upon the district except as herein otherwise provided. It shall be composed of five members, each of whom shall be a voter of the district and shall have resided in said district one whole year immediately prior to his election, or if not a voter or resident of said district, shall have received service from the district at his or her primary place of residence one whole year immediately prior to his or her election. A member shall be at least twenty-five years of age and shall not be delinquent in the payment of taxes at the time of his election. Except as provided in subsection 2 of this section, the term of office of a member of the board shall be three years. The remaining members of the board shall appoint a qualified person to fill any vacancy on the board. If no qualified person who lives in the subdistrict for which there is a vacancy is willing to serve on the board, the board may appoint an otherwise qualified person who lives in the district but not in the subdistrict in which the vacancy exists to fill such vacancy.

Not sure of the circumstances surrounding your question.
It appears that, pursuant to Missouri Statute, the answer would be yes.
This is also the way our water district operates.

I believe if there is no appointee within the appropriate sub-district they must appoint someone from within the district.

I was "chairman of the board' for a water district in Indiana. But apparently Missouri is different. Our district was originally funded by USDA, as a rural development project. Most of our rules were USDA rules. Not state rules. When Reagan tried to get the US out of the "grant" biz, we bought our USDA loan for pennies on the dollar. We were able to finance millions in improvements to the system at low rates from commercial banks.
We had a genius businessman, not me, who ramrodded all this.
We opted out of the utility regulators at the state (you can do that) and we set our own per gallon rates. We always get rate studies from accountants. We are accounted, studied, and we are damned good. Our rates/gal are below our nearby water companies. If you are still operating under a State of Missouri structure, do what you can to get out from under that. We stipulated that prospective board members had to file by Dec. 20 for an election early Feb. The board had to stipulate candidates by Dec. 20, also.
Good luck.

Latest posts