Proud to be an American

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
:hat: Yesterday a friend from Texas sent me a poem that I wanted to share with the board. I, like many of you, am a veteran (Viet Nam for me). My son, a Navy man, paid the ultimate price for this great country eight years ago. I miss him every day, but have never questioned the reason he and thousands of our country's men and women serve and protect this country. "Freedom ain't free". In today's mail, I received a letter from Social Security saying they are pleased to let me know that I will receive a $20 raise effective January 1. This is after working for 50 years, paying taxes and serving my country. With that in mind, please read on.......

Welfare Poem....

I cross ocean, Poor and broke,
Take bus,
See employment folk.

Nice man treat me
Good in there,
Say I need to
See welfare.

Welfare say,
"You come no more,
We send cash
Right to your door."

Welfare checks,
They make you wealthy,
Medicaid, it keep
You healthy!

By and by,
I got plenty money,
Thanks to you,
American dummy.

Write to friends
In motherland,
Tell them 'come
Fast as you can.'

They come in turbans
And Ford trucks,
I buy big house
With welfare bucks

They come here,
We live together,
More welfare checks,
It gets better!

Fourteen families,
They moving in,
But neighbor's patience
Wearing thin.

Finally, white guy
Moves away,
Now I buy his house,
And then they say,

"Find more aliens
For house to rent."
And in the yard
I put a tent.

Send for family
They just trash,
But they too,
Draw welfare cash!

Everything is
Very good,
And soon we
Own the neighborhood.

We have hobby
it's called breeding,
Welfare pay
For baby feeding.

Kids need dentist?
Wife need pills?
We get free!
We got no bills!

American crazy!
He pay all year,
To keep welfare
Running here.

We think America darn
good place!
Too darn good for the
white man race.

If they
no like us,
they can scram,
Got lots of room in Pakistan.

It is interesting that the federal government provides a single refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890 and each can also get an additional $580 per month in social assistance. This comes to a grand total of $2,470 in monthly assistance.

Compare this to a single pensioner, who, after contributing to the growth, development and protection of America, receives an average of $1,012 in old age pension and Guaranteed Income Supplement. Maybe our pensioners should apply as refugees!!!!
Maybe our pensioners should apply as refugees!

I agree with Hippie Rancher, and I am offended,as a veteran and a U.S. taxpayer.

kerley":22masiyp said:
I agree with Hippie Rancher, and I am offended,as a veteran and a U.S. taxpayer.

Uh you might not be agreeing with me??? I know a lot of folks are anti-welfare and anti-immigrant - I am not. I found the poem and post to be offensive, racist and ignorant. I have to wonder if there is any understanding of what a refugee really is.

Yes the amounts poor older folks are forced to live on from SS are inadequate and it is shameful we treat the old, sick, and poor the way we do. But lets think about funding them better from the profits of corporations instead of attacking other poor people who often have gone through trauma not experienced or even understood by most of us.

Hippie Rancher":zgkxnn0u said:
kerley":zgkxnn0u said:

Uh you might not be agreeing with me??? I know a lot of folks are anti-welfare and anti-immigrant - I am not. I found the poem and post to be offensive, racist and ignorant. I have to wonder if there is any understanding of what a refugee really is.

Yes the amounts poor older folks are forced to live on from SS are inadequate and it is shameful we treat the old, sick, and poor the way we do. But lets think about funding them better from the profits of corporations instead of attacking other poor people who often have gone through trauma not experienced or even understood by most of us.

Bleeding heart liberal garbage! :mad: It would be different if these people came here to work and make a go of it. Instead we allow them to come and fly planes in to our buildings.

Refugee-one who seeks refuge, perhaps for political/religious reasons. Immigrant- one who immigrates. Illegal immigrant- one who enters a country illegally. Well, guess you could dispute my definitions or, you could acknowledge that this country's greatness comes from it's freedom of speech and right to worship. Now, since I didn't write the poem, I can only say that someone exercised their freedom of speech in doing so. The fact that you consider it racist, ignorant and offensive means you are allowed to voice your opinion in a free country. I'm ecstatic you get to do so.

I don't know, but I'm thinking the poem was sent by somebody who was sick of carrying everyone in the world on their tax paying back. And, oh yes, many, many studies have been made regarding the affects of welfare on the family. It seems when you "give" people too much and don't make them work for a living it becomes an entitlement. I raised my children to respect God, defend their country and to work for a living. And they do just that.

Colin Powell made a speech several years back and addressed the assembly by letting them know that America had never taken anything from any foreign country, all we had ever asked for was enough ground to bury our fallen soldiers. I think the key here is the fact that we try to preserve freedom throughout the world so that people do not have to seek asylum in America or immigrate (legal or otherwise) to this country.

I'm glad you have put some thought into how to fund our government entitlement programs. Trouble with your equation Hippie is that we are having problems keeping corporations in America. If they all outsource to foreign soil how can we tax them?

Maybe you think kerley is ignorant, but a lot of us old vets don't and some of us are even "edacated" enough to know that America can not continue to pay for everyone's lunch. This country was started by immigrants and refugees (the terms are not interchangeable). They all worked hard (work being the key word) and made our country great. The fact is, however, from sea to shining sea isn't as vast as it used to be and we have just about hit the max on resources--natural and man made. But, it would certainly be grand if you donated all your profits this year to the Refugee fund.

:cry2: hippie, didn't I see you on Capitol Mall in 1969? We were watching Walter Cronkite from our fox holes. Was that you in the crowd burning bras and flags.

I have issues with illegal immigrants.

That said, this kind of "poetry" is written to promote hate and discontent. The message could have been gotten across without that nastiness.

Personally, my friends know better than to send me this kind of hateful stuff. :mad:

Just my 2 cents...

Alice

Hippie Rancher":2sjv16oq said:

If it were not for the big expence of giving people welfare that are to lazy to work and to people who entered this country unlawfully just to get a free ride maby we could get back at least 1/2 of the ss money that was taken away from us in the first place.
And to make the big corporations pay for our SS benifits?
Aint that a little like commy's do it? And aint that like punishing them for making to much money?
Hippy Rancher you have the right to believe and say what you want,we Veterans gave you that right, but on this I think you are way out there in left field. :shock: :shock:

Cal

Alice":3ir791mi said:
I have issues with illegal immigrants.

That said, this kind of "poetry" is written to promote hate and discontent. The message could have been gotten across without that nastiness.

Personally, my friends know better than to send me this kind of hateful stuff. :mad:

Just my 2 cents...

Alice
Well, I don't know that the missive promotes hate; I do agree with you however, that discontent IS the theme. Like I said, I'll bet someone wrote it who was sick of carrying the world on his tax paying back. And, I would never tell a friend of mine what he could write or not write. He's a vet and fought for freedom of speech.

I guess we can continue to be real nice to everyone and pretty soon the dollar will say in 'Allah We Trust.' My grandkids can't say the Pledge of Alliance in school anymore. That's okay, we taught them the correct version--you know the one that says "one nation under God." They say it at home with me.

Anyway, the minority of one in Elk Grove, CA (atheist) said the pledge of allegiance violated his constitutional rights. One voice over thousands!!!! So, it is not politically correct to say the pledge. Might step on some minority toes.

Similarly, the ten commandments cannot be posted on public property. Where exactly do we draw the line? Oh well, I guess in another 10 years there won't be any Americans left. Just immigrants and refugees. Course they won't need us anymore, they will already have our money.

hippie, surely you know that Social security was never intended to be the sole, or even primary, source of retirement income. Anybody that expected to be able to live reasonably comfortable in retirement primarily with SS payments is/was an idiot or at the very least is/was incredibly naive, financially speaking. And the big (and small) corporations, as well as other types of employer entities, already pay a hefty chunk, in the form of payroll taxes, specifically the 7.65% employer matching FICA (social security) and Medicare taxes !

Poverty Acres":69eke27j said:
Refugee-one who seeks refuge, perhaps for political/religious reasons. Immigrant- one who immigrates. Illegal immigrant- one who enters a country illegally. Well, guess you could dispute my definitions or, you could acknowledge that this country's greatness comes from it's freedom of speech and right to worship. Now, since I didn't write the poem, I can only say that someone exercised their freedom of speech in doing so. The fact that you consider it racist, ignorant and offensive means you are allowed to voice your opinion in a free country. I'm ecstatic you get to do so.

I don't know, but I'm thinking the poem was sent by somebody who was sick of carrying everyone in the world on their tax paying back. And, oh yes, many, many studies have been made regarding the affects of welfare on the family. It seems when you "give" people too much and don't make them work for a living it becomes an entitlement. I raised my children to respect God, defend their country and to work for a living. And they do just that.

Colin Powell made a speech several years back and addressed the assembly by letting them know that America had never taken anything from any foreign country, all we had ever asked for was enough ground to bury our fallen soldiers. I think the key here is the fact that we try to preserve freedom throughout the world so that people do not have to seek asylum in America or immigrate (legal or otherwise) to this country.

I'm glad you have put some thought into how to fund our government entitlement programs. Trouble with your equation Hippie is that we are having problems keeping corporations in America. If they all outsource to foreign soil how can we tax them?

Maybe you think kerley is ignorant, but a lot of us old vets don't and some of us are even "edacated" enough to know that America can not continue to pay for everyone's lunch. This country was started by immigrants and refugees (the terms are not interchangeable). They all worked hard (work being the key word) and made our country great. The fact is, however, from sea to shining sea isn't as vast as it used to be and we have just about hit the max on resources--natural and man made. But, it would certainly be grand if you donated all your profits this year to the Refugee fund.

Well said!

Walt

Arnold Ziffle":34z038h6 said:
hippie, surely you know that Social security was never intended to be the sole, or even primary, source of retirement income. Anybody that expected to be able to live reasonably comfortable in retirement primarily with SS payments is/was an idiot or at the very least is/was incredibly naive, financially speaking. And the big (and small) corporations, as well as other types of employer entities, already pay a hefty chunk, in the form of payroll taxes, specifically the 7.65% employer matching FICA (social security) and Medicare taxes !

I wasn't the one complaining about my SS benefits, and yes I know that - interesting how the vitriolic criticism of the poor and about responsibility and not carrying the welfare bums on the backs of regular taxpayers never quite carries over to the the old SS bums that didn't adequately plan for their retirements, isn't it?

The bigger corps don't pay much of those taxes because they outsource so much of that sort of labor. One of my points. The profits that go to major management and stockholders and even Boards of some non-profits is pretty disgusting. CEO that make 100s and 1000s times the actual workers - that is the sort of corporate money I am talking about.

Blaming immigrants and the poor for your tax situation is EXACTLY what the real rip-offs like you to keep doing. REALLY follow the money. Welfare is not the big chunk of our taxes you think it is.

Corporations, effectively don't pay taxes. Taxes are a cost of doing business past on to and carried by the consumer. When some state says "Any retail chain that employs more than 10,000 people must provide health care", Wal-Mart, the only corporation in the entire state that met the criteria, raises the prices of the goods sold. In the end, they make the same ROI and the consumer pays more for milk.

Taxing Big Business is political smoke. Someone can convince the sheeple that business are evil and the the CEO will go out back to the money tree to fetch some more. Bash rich people all you want but poor people don't hire employees.

Something I herd. Legal aleins come to the US and can borrrow gov money, low intrest or no intrest, to start a business. Being a minority or through some other gov program.This is for a 10 year period. At the end of ten years they sell to a relative and the process starts again. Starting a business with no investment sounds good to me.
To make things worse they hire other legal aleins to work and do not pay overtime working them 7 days per week, they call them managers.
Ever wonder why legal aleins own all the convenience stores?
The man that told me this worked for a company he said was doing just that. They were based in California and were buying stores throughout the country.
I don't know if it is true but it does make one wonder.

Poverty Acres":10l1uaq9 said:
I don't know, but I'm thinking the poem was sent by somebody who was sick of carrying everyone in the world on their tax paying back.
It is a false assumption. See my other comment. We all benefit from the use of taxes. A few items to consider: police and fire protection in many areas, roads and highways, development of many products and services are done with the help of govt money. Education for most people - FREE! Paid by tax monies. (not here to quibble with quality issues on public education, lots of times it is what a student makes of it) to name just a few. Then there is the supposed "defense" of this country. Imperialism or "spreading freedom and democracy", whatever you want to call it, it costs a LOT of money. And lets just quietly mention the numbers of poor and immigrants that make up the military. Are they some of the same ones you are carrying on your tax-paying back? hmmm?

And, oh yes, many, many studies have been made regarding the affects of welfare on the family. It seems when you "give" people too much and don't make them work for a living it becomes an entitlement.
Livestock too :p Common sense should tell you that sometimes a little help can make a huge difference. Sure some, maybe many or even most welfare recipients may become dependant. That isn't my argument at the moment. My point is there are more deserving targets taking an unfair share of our tax money.

Colin Powell made a speech several years back and addressed the assembly by letting them know that America had never taken anything from any foreign country,
Don't ask any Indians about this subject.

I think the key here is the fact that we try to preserve freedom throughout the world so that people do not have to seek asylum in America or immigrate (legal or otherwise) to this country.
Um, everybody in this country is an immigrant or descendant of one. (again possible exception of aboriginal peoples)

You do have a bit of a point here, although most of the outsourcing that concerns me is labor, not coporate HQs. The major stockholders, CEOs and upper management are still here for most of these.

Maybe you think kerley is ignorant
ABSOLUTELY NOT! I am obviously in the minority position here on a lot of social issues and realized by kerley's response that I was not clear in my comment. I figured he (she?) might not actually agree with me.

but a lot of us old vets don't and some of us are even "edacated" enough to know that America can not continue to pay for everyone's lunch. This country was started by immigrants and refugees (the terms are not interchangeable). They all worked hard (work being the key word) and made our country great. The fact is, however, from sea to shining sea isn't as vast as it used to be and we have just about hit the max on resources--natural and man made. But, it would certainly be grand if you donated all your profits this year to the Refugee fund.
We actually agree on more than you think here. I will donate some of my profits to various programs, not all and its not like my profits compare to some! :shock:

Latest posts