Pros and Cons of Herefords.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ned Jr.":3gevgkz5 said:
Oh ya, Hereford calves are without doubt the cutest in the field too. :D :D

And those white faces are like flashlights under a full moon. Makes them easy to find. :lol:

Reminds me of the old saying "You can chase a Hereford cow around to the back side of the moon and she'll come back in good condition and feeding a calf"

dun

I was reviewing some 20+ year old college notes from my Animal and Dairy Science class. Concerning Herefords, my notes said that they were the best breed for rough range conditions found in the Western states. In a seminar at the extension office a few years back, and animal scientist from Auburn said Hereford bulls were the best choice in hot, humid coastal conditions. He said they maintain their condition and fertility with few problems. Just a little info I've gathered over the years.

certherfbeef":168xzv10 said:
Hill Creek Farm":168xzv10 said:
Question, I looked at my profile and I have been labled as a Trail Boss and I lost a star.
Macon is playing around again. You actually keep track of how many stars you have?????????????
No, it was just a difference in what it always is, not a big concern. :cboy:

S.R.R.":2cne1i2t said:
How do you feel about horned versus polled Herefords? Would you or do you raise terminal calves from stright breed Herefords?
How do you find their forageing ability vs other breeds?
I like crossing the Horned on the polled cow. When they took the horns off the hereford, they also took the milk ability and thickness. Of course in my part of the world, horns don't sell well. I think that crossing the horned on polled or vice versa, the calves are more stout, thick, and the cows turn into really good brood cows with lots of milk. Herefords will consume just about anything that is green, except for John Deeres, HA! HA! Herefords are the best forage beef breed I know of, right next to the Galloway. Herefords work better in the deep south than Angus. Herefords live longer and can stand the cold winters anywhere in the US, over the Angus breed. I am not saying this to spark up argument about the Angus breed. It is just facts. Herefords are better cows than any other beef breed out there, my opinion. :cboy:

Did anyone see my ad in the 2006 July Hereford World Ad or the Buckeye Trends catalog? If so, what did you think about my new bull and my donor cows Keysha and Keya? :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":2r47oj0v said:
Did anyone see my ad in the 2006 July Hereford World Ad or the Buckeye Trends catalog? If so, what did you think about my new bull and my donor cows Keysha and Keya? :cboy:

Yes, I saw your ad and Keysha (pg 67) definitely looks good. The bull, SHF Red Oak M326 R96 (pg 66) profiles well, I like seeing the great Feltons 517 in the pedigree, 205 day wt of 803 is impressive, heck of a butt, nice strong level top; but IF I was going to fault him.....he looks JUST a little postilegged in that photo. Keysha on the opposite page has almost perfect rear wheels (in her photo) a little sickle to the hock a little cushion on the pasterns. Red Oak "looks" (in this one photo like there is not enough slope in any of the pasterns and no sickle at all in his rear legs. I think it is just a bad shot on uneven ground; but it makes him look a little awkward. I know I am being hypercritical and did not notice the bulls feet at all until you brought it up and I opened the magazine (for about the 10th time this week). Keysha is a Hereford goddess and I am not a huge fan of Keynote; 15G on the bottom side on the other hand is a cow producing super STUD. Some people today may not like the perhaps excessive white; but I don't have a preference one way or another. Red Oak I would like to see walk; though if I was motivated enough to look up another pic where he was better set, I think I would be less wary of those rear wheels.

How are Herefords when it comes to calving? Some around here say they have wide hips and are easy calvers. Is eye cancer or pink eye a common problem?

S.R.R.":2s04h0q0 said:
How are Herefords when it comes to calving? Some around here say they have wide hips and are easy calvers. Is eye cancer or pink eye a common problem?

We rarely have trouble with them calving. But, there are good ones and there are poor ones, same as any breed. Cancer eye is a problem, but it is not one that we have had to deal with ourselves, but I know numerous people that have had to deal with it. Pinkeye, I find is no more common in the Herefords than in any other breed we run (Angus, Shorthorn)

These maternal traits make them great for a smalll time producer, but Angus is the business breed. This is 100% do to carcass meritt, and the way herefords get fat, it isn;t there not being black that docks them at the sles barn, but there white head. Charolais, shorthorns,... come threw thick and get a great price. The point is buyers get the price from above and it is that 5-7% less carcass that brings down them white faced calves. With all of this said a small time producer sell halves of beef should look to the hereford and cross it.

I always thought Herefords "horned" where a good honest breed of cattle, however they do have some drawbacks. as do most breeds, does anyone know how they compare to Angus, weaning weights, feed conversion etc, etc.

S.R.R.":30zhtjbk said:
How do you all find they are in the winter weather? Do they have to be put in at night or is a wind break enough? How about grain do they need it to stay in good condition?

In Texas, winter is not a problem for us. The northside of our place is completely wooded, so that helps with the wind. As for feeding, we provide a liquid feed (Mix 30), that is an all natural 16/10 ration year round and hay in the winter, otherwise they graze native pasture. Our cattle maintain excellent body condition.

topsquar":1kedirok said:
does anyone know how they compare to Angus, weaning weights, feed conversion etc, etc.

Also what would it cost you to start a herd of Hereford vs Angus? From the prices I see it would take you a # of years more to start making a profit with Angus vs Hereford because of your cow cost.

S.R.R.":mbkjilmr said:
topsquar":mbkjilmr said:
does anyone know how they compare to Angus, weaning weights, feed conversion etc, etc.

Also what would it cost you to start a herd of Hereford vs Angus? From the prices I see it would take you a # of years more to start making a profit with Angus vs Hereford because of your cow cost.

You are probably right on the years thing. Starting a herd depends on the priorities of the producer and the market that he wants to compete in.

Seems like that a animal that cost you a little more initially should bring more on the other end. if a cow is cheaper to start up with there a reason her off spring should be cheaper. it would average about the same either way . in for a penny in for a pound

herefords have lost alot of favor because of ignorance at the sale barn. obviously from a ranch/feedlot perpspective, there are pro's and con's to every breed and we can all type until our keyboards give out arguing about it. i personally have herefords and black cattle, and both do well, but esp. my baldies, most feedlots i deal with really like them. i am comfortable with my cattle and i'm still in business, and you all are apparently in the same boat, so i'm not gonna criticize your operation!

but the fact remains that there is this bias towards black hides and a big reason is because of the CAB program. i'm not knocking the CAB program, what they've done is pretty brilliant from a marketing standpoint. but check out the USDA's requirements for "Angus" beef and you'll start to realize that your "Angus" steak is possibly anything but angus.

i spent years in the beef business and while angus beef is generally regarded as good beef, hereford beef is regarded just as highly (check out the sheer tests). an example of what is NOT highly regarded beef is a simm or limo...and i believe there are quite a few black hided ones out there anymore. but when i black animal comes into the ring, most everyone sits up and takes notice only/simply because it's black.

ALACOWMAN":1tz63ql7 said:
Seems like that a animal that cost you a little more initially should bring more on the other end. if a cow is cheaper to start up with there a reason her off spring should be cheaper. it would average about the same either way . in for a penny in for a pound

Your statement makes sense but only if we are to believe that the Angus cattle you buy today are still going to be the fad cattle of 10 years from now. The man that paid top dollar for his Hereford cows 10 years ago "going with your train of thought" would find today that they are not quite the investment he may have thought.

It would be interesting to see if there is a breed of cattle that has consistantly brought a far price over the years. The Char may fit into that at least in a terminal aspect, do you think?

well when your talking fads thats another thing altogether . had a banker friend that someone was trying too get him in the emu business. big bucks too start out. talked him out of it. folks were turning them loose a year or so later in the woods just to get rid of the dam things. as for as charolias go i dont no they have been doing great around here the last few years crossed or strait

Do you all find the forageing abilty better then Angus? If so that could be a real asset around here.

S.R.R.":23e3dsm7 said:
Do you all find the forageing abilty better then Angus? If so that could be a real asset around here.
Can't speak for Angus, but our Herefords graze a couple of hours in the early morning and late afternoon. We provide a liquid feed free choice, and fresh water (no ponds); they maintain a great body condition.

Latest posts